Samsung TV problem

Old July 17th 17, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

Default Samsung TV problem

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 24, 2017.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:11:05 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 17:07:35 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 16/07/2017 08:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 22:48:16 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:.

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on a PVR, I
don't see how it can be to do with reception.

Ah yes, good point. It does. In fact one of my early thoughts was that
the PVR was at fault. But that still allows for mains interference.

Surely the way to nail things down, is to leave the PVR recording the
same channel you're watching. When there's a glitch, wind back the
recording, and see if that's affected at exactly the same point too.

That's a very good suggestion. ATM the problem seems to have gone
away, so I can't follow it up. Perhaps it was a spider in the works,
or whatever. If it returns I'll certainly try that.

or even a temperature problem like I get on my Humax PVRs.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old July 17th 17, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Hogg

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:26:53 +0200, Martin wrote:

or even a temperature problem like I get on my Humax PVRs.

Mine's a Humax. What exactly is the problem with yours? Maybe I'll
check the cooling fan and ventilation grilles. Won't do any harm to do
it, anyway.

--

Chris
Old July 17th 17, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:01:15 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:26:53 +0200, Martin wrote:

or even a temperature problem like I get on my Humax PVRs.

Mine's a Humax. What exactly is the problem with yours? Maybe I'll
check the cooling fan and ventilation grilles. Won't do any harm to do
it, anyway.

If it is one of the older generation you should be able to hear the fan turning
when it is warm. We had a series of problems that culminated in the one we
bought in 2012 failing irreversibly. We didn't have the problem you have. I
think the modern replacement doesn't have a fan. It does get too hot, when the
weather is hot. We have apparent problems with the receivers.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old July 17th 17, 12:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

I did wonder whether it was a 'bad cap syndrome' in the power pack,

It sounds more like a dry joint. If it were mine, I'd be checking over
the power supply with a magnifying glass.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old July 17th 17, 04:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:01:15 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:26:53 +0200, Martin wrote:

or even a temperature problem like I get on my Humax PVRs.

Mine's a Humax. What exactly is the problem with yours? Maybe I'll
check the cooling fan and ventilation grilles. Won't do any harm to do
it, anyway.

If it is one of the older generation you should be able to hear the fan
turning when it is warm. We had a series of problems that culminated in
the one we bought in 2012 failing irreversibly. We didn't have the problem
you have. I think the modern replacement doesn't have a fan. It does get
too hot, when the weather is hot. We have apparent problems with the
receivers.

I have often removed the cases from friends' over-hearing computers (and
vacuumed them) and the problem disappeared. If it works, maybe a few
strategically placed holes in the sides will do it too.

Old July 17th 17, 10:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Martin[_2_]

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 25, 2017.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:49:49 +0100, Pinnerite wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:01:15 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 10:26:53 +0200, Martin wrote:

or even a temperature problem like I get on my Humax PVRs.

Mine's a Humax. What exactly is the problem with yours? Maybe I'll
check the cooling fan and ventilation grilles. Won't do any harm to do
it, anyway.

If it is one of the older generation you should be able to hear the fan
turning when it is warm. We had a series of problems that culminated in
the one we bought in 2012 failing irreversibly. We didn't have the problem
you have. I think the modern replacement doesn't have a fan. It does get
too hot, when the weather is hot. We have apparent problems with the
receivers.

I have often removed the cases from friends' over-hearing computers (and
vacuumed them) and the problem disappeared.

Me too. There's an amazing amount of dust generated by a printer in a small
room.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 11:28:03 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

A Samsung UE42F5000 telly, three or four years old, inherited, has
started making the occasional pop or crack on sound, sometimes
accompanied by a small patch of pixellation on the screen or a
momentary stripe cross it.

Does it do the same when watching from a source other than its own tuner?

Yes. We normally run it off a PVR (Humax 9200T which we've had for
quite a while), via a Scart cable, and my first thought was that it
was the Humax. But quickly demonstrated that it wasn't.

I did wonder whether it was a 'bad cap syndrome' in the power pack,
but surely mfr's have been aware of that particular problem for a good
while now and use decent caps these days, or even four years ago.

they get capacitor ESR pretty low - but never quite low enough.

Ripple current heats the ESR resistance - heat dries out the electrolyte
quicker.

The temperature masks ESR, so you get a warm up effect - problems would be
more severe when starting from cold and improve a bit as it warms up.

A common problem with on all the time items like STBs, when everything is
shut down to go on holiday; the electrolytics cool down and the true ESR
becomes apparent. If dodgy electrolytics screw up the regulation circuit -
it can go bang when you plug it in from cold.

Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

I did wonder whether it was a 'bad cap syndrome' in the power pack,

It sounds more like a dry joint. If it were mine, I'd be checking over
the power supply with a magnifying glass.

Since RoHS; I was getting through lots of reels of solder, but they do seem
to be getting their act together.

Some of the dodgy joints can look OK - you need a jeweller's loupe and a
good work light.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Breaking down capacitors in its psu?
I also assume that even in surface mount land dry joints do occur?
Brian

The leads on through hole components had some give - thermal expansion has
nowhere to go under SMD parts.

Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:28:57 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

We have several TVs and have noticed this of late - specifically on
the 19" LG in the kitchen and the 32" Sharp in our bedroom. WE use
Emley at about 28 miles but have a strong signal.

The sound crack always coincides with either an instant picture freeze
or some patches of pixelation. To me this suggests outside
interference - indeed I have twice seen it happen when a taxi has been
parked outside.

Somehow I don't think it is the TV - the Samsung UExxF5000 range where
pretty good.

Well thanks for that. I've established that it's not the aerial
amplifier, so my mind was turning to either the TV itself (possibly
bad caps as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but certainly
something common to both sound and vision), or outside interference.
As you don't favour a problem with the TV, that leaves interference.
I'll wait a few days to see if it gets better of its own accord. We're
on the Praa Sands relay BTW, a satellite of Redruth in West Cornwall.

If its a CCFL backlight - corona discharge is a (faint) possibility that
could present as random interference.

Series chain LED backlights tend to be around 100V or usually less.