Samsung TV problem

Old July 15th 17, 08:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Samsung TV problem

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 19:28:57 +0100, "Woody"

wrote:

We have several TVs and have noticed this of late - specifically on
the 19" LG in the kitchen and the 32" Sharp in our bedroom. WE use
Emley at about 28 miles but have a strong signal.

The sound crack always coincides with either an instant picture
freeze
or some patches of pixelation. To me this suggests outside
interference - indeed I have twice seen it happen when a taxi has
been
parked outside.

Somehow I don't think it is the TV - the Samsung UExxF5000 range
where
pretty good.

Well thanks for that. I've established that it's not the aerial
amplifier, so my mind was turning to either the TV itself (possibly
bad caps as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but certainly
something common to both sound and vision), or outside interference.
As you don't favour a problem with the TV, that leaves interference.
I'll wait a few days to see if it gets better of its own accord.
We're
on the Praa Sands relay BTW, a satellite of Redruth in West
Cornwall.

Look at your reception direction and see if it could be picking
anything else up off the front or the back of the aerial - like
French/Irish/Welsh TV (don't know praa Sands.)

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 15th 17, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 15/07/2017 21:47, Woody wrote:

Look at your reception direction and see if it could be picking
anything else up off the front or the back of the aerial - like
French/Irish/Welsh TV (don't know praa Sands.)

Them little relays get all sorts of funny faults; faults that go
undetected for ages sometimes.

Old July 15th 17, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

[...]

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on a PVR, I
don't see how it can be to do with reception.

--
Max Demian
Old July 16th 17, 07:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Hogg

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 23, 2017.

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 22:48:16 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:.

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on a PVR, I
don't see how it can be to do with reception.

Ah yes, good point. It does. In fact one of my early thoughts was that
the PVR was at fault. But that still allows for mains interference.

--

Chris
Old July 16th 17, 07:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, well, that really depends on whether the original poster can try it in
a different location and aerial. Taxis making interference large enough is
going to be a bit of an issue. I'd also suspect some of these internet over
the mains devices, as they make noises very like a ticking over car
[punctuated by blasts of data from about 4 megs up to 30 megs.

news

Old July 16th 17, 08:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:.

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on a PVR, I
don't see how it can be to do with reception.

Ah yes, good point. It does. In fact one of my early thoughts was that
the PVR was at fault. But that still allows for mains interference.

Isn't is just a career change? Old TV fancied a new start as an
Insect-O-Cutor.

Obviously, it will take a little time to adjust completely but it's got
the 'Bzzzzt!' mastered already, so it won't be long.

Old July 16th 17, 04:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

wrote:.

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on a PVR, I
don't see how it can be to do with reception.

Ah yes, good point. It does. In fact one of my early thoughts was that
the PVR was at fault. But that still allows for mains interference.

Surely the way to nail things down, is to leave the PVR recording the
same channel you're watching. When there's a glitch, wind back the
recording, and see if that's affected at exactly the same point too.

Assuming a possible fault with the TV isn't affecting the PVR's
reception (and vice versa) that will confirm either a reception
problem, or fault with your relay.

Does it affect all three muxes ?

--
Mark
Old July 16th 17, 09:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pamela

wrote:.

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on
a PVR, I don't see how it can be to do with reception.

Ah yes, good point. It does. In fact one of my early thoughts
was that the PVR was at fault. But that still allows for mains
interference.

It sounds it behaves like a media player I had on my PC many years
ago.

Maybe your telly software is choking up on some particular combo in
the picture signal. Perhaps it's worth considering a software
refresh.
Old July 16th 17, 10:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

pamela wrote:

Perhaps it's worth considering a software refresh.

For the F5 series? Nothing new since v2111 nearly 2 years ago ...
Old July 17th 17, 07:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Hogg

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on July 24, 2017.

wrote:.

If it happens when you are playing back a previous recording on a PVR, I
don't see how it can be to do with reception.

Ah yes, good point. It does. In fact one of my early thoughts was that
the PVR was at fault. But that still allows for mains interference.

Surely the way to nail things down, is to leave the PVR recording the
same channel you're watching. When there's a glitch, wind back the
recording, and see if that's affected at exactly the same point too.

That's a very good suggestion. ATM the problem seems to have gone
away, so I can't follow it up. Perhaps it was a spider in the works,
or whatever. If it returns I'll certainly try that.

Assuming a possible fault with the TV isn't affecting the PVR's
reception (and vice versa) that will confirm either a reception
problem, or fault with your relay.

Does it affect all three muxes ?

Dunno; will check if the opportunity arises.

--

Chris