BT/Plusnet TV Recorder (DTR-T2100)

Old July 14th 17, 07:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
thesimpsons

Default BT/Plusnet TV Recorder (DTR-T2100)

When playing back an off air recording, if I select fast forward the screen
displays a perfect speeded up image.
If playing back a recording from an internet channel, fast forward displays
"snap shots" of the speeded up image.
Just wondering why this should be, it's the same on both a ten year
Panasonic and a recent Sony TV.
Fred

Old July 14th 17, 08:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"thesimpsons" wrote in message
When playing back an off air recording, if I select fast forward the
screen displays a perfect speeded up image.
If playing back a recording from an internet channel, fast forward
displays "snap shots" of the speeded up image.
Just wondering why this should be, it's the same on both a ten year
Panasonic and a recent Sony TV.

Different types of compression.

SD TV uses MPEG which requires comparatively little computational effort to
decode - so the decoder can do every single frame even at faster than normal
speed, so you get smooth motion.

Many videos on the internet (eg Youtube) use MP4/H264 compression which
requires a lot more processing and the decoder can't display every frame at
faster than normal, so you get every nth frame and jerky motion. HD
television (including SD channels on a DVB-T2 "HD" multiplex) also uses
H264.

I have seen this difference when I use VideoRedo to edit out commercials
from my recordings on my PC: SD can scrub through at any speed, whereas HD
lags and "gets stuck" if you try to move the programme position too quickly.

This is one of the downsides of H264 - it produces smaller files but they
are more computational-intensive to decode so most decoders can't manage
faster-than-normal playing.

Old July 14th 17, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Incidentally, Sky boxes (well, ours, anyway) can't manage smooth fast play
(even at 2x, never mind faster) with SD - probably the decoder is only just
fast enough to play at normal speed and has no additional capacity for 2x
etc playback.

Software such as VLC on my PC can play SD and HD at fast speed - I've had SD
at 4x (sound is not very intelligible!) and HD at about 3x before I can see
jerkiness. That's for off-air TS files in both cases.

Old July 14th 17, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 14/07/2017 09:36, NY wrote:

Software such as VLC on my PC can play SD and HD at fast speed - I've
had SD at 4x (sound is not very intelligible!) and HD at about 3x before
I can see jerkiness. That's for off-air TS files in both cases.

And when faced with x265 encoding (HEVC/H.265) at 1080p VLC on my PC
gives pretty well gives up and presents a grey screen above 2x -
although it's only an i5-6600K using the integrated graphics.

Perhaps 4k TV will be a cunning plan to make it harder to FF through the

Robin
Old July 14th 17, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well maybe they are recorded in different formats, one as the stream the
other in some converted system.
I've heard of this sort of thing before, but cannot remember the reason.

Old July 15th 17, 07:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
thesimpsons

Thank you all for the response, obvious really, I should have thought of
different levels of compression.
Fred