channel line-up

Old July 13th 17, 03:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default channel line-up

The Freeview TV guide (the LCN) is set to be updated and expanded on
Wednesday, 2 August. Some channels will be moving to new numbers and
viewers may need to retune to ensure they have the latest channel
line-up, where this isn’t automatic.

Ofcom have published more info on 700 MHz with some start dates for the
STV channel moves. Link to the information on Digital UK’s Website:
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/700mhz_clearance

Old July 13th 17, 07:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 13/07/17 04:36, Bill Wright wrote:
The Freeview TV guide (the LCN) is set to be updated and expanded on
Wednesday, 2 August. Some channels will be moving to new numbers and
viewers may need to retune to ensure they have the latest channel
line-up, where this isn’t automatic.

Thanks for the reminder. More info at:
http://www.a516digital.com/2017/04/freeview-channel-change-day-2017.html

--

Jeff
Old July 13th 17, 07:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I do wish they would leave stuff alone though. Every time I do a retune I
need to do it more than once as usually some seem to be unobtainable for
some odd reason.
Its just a bit of a silly way to go on. When they invented the system you
would have thought it might have been bomb proof in its specs.

news

Old July 13th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
The Freeview TV guide (the LCN) is set to be updated and expanded on
Wednesday, 2 August. Some channels will be moving to new numbers and
viewers may need to retune to ensure they have the latest channel line-up,
where this isn’t automatic.

So they think that we "need" to retune our box just to change the channel
number allocation

why would anybody think that this *needs* to be done?

WTF does it matter what number a channel is allocated to when watching it.
I select a channel by its name not a number

These people live in a different world to "real" people.

and once again, retuning my box comes with significant inconvenience, why
would I want to suffer this unnecessarily?

tim

Old July 13th 17, 08:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I do wish they would leave stuff alone though. Every time I do a retune I
need to do it more than once as usually some seem to be unobtainable for
some odd reason.
Its just a bit of a silly way to go on. When they invented the system you
would have thought it might have been bomb proof in its specs.
Brian

I can understand why it wasn't when they "invented" it,

but it certainly should have been part of the spec for freeview plus for
seamless channel reorganisations

Old July 13th 17, 11:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I do wish they would leave stuff alone though. Every time I do a retune I
need to do it more than once as usually some seem to be unobtainable for
some odd reason.
Its just a bit of a silly way to go on. When they invented the system you
would have thought it might have been bomb proof in its specs.
Brian

I can understand why it wasn't when they "invented" it,

but it certainly should have been part of the spec for freeview plus for
seamless channel reorganisations

The problem is that there wasn't a proper plan of the LCN assignments at the
start, with separate decades or centuries for each genre, and lots of spare
space for new channels in each genre.

I'm sure it wasn't that long ago that there was another renumbering exercise
to put adult channels as far away from other channels as possible to reduce
the chance of encountering them accidentally. And I think the children's
channels were renumbered at that time too, so why are they being renumbered
again?

Someone said that it didn't matter what LCN was used because he searched for
the channel or the programme. That's valid up to a point, but I find that I
learn the LCNs of the channels that I access frequently and type them
explicitly: it's quicker to key 20 to get to Drama than it is to scroll up
or down the list by pressing Up or Down an arbitrary number of times, or to
enter the first few letters of the channel or programme name using the
1=ABC, 2=DEF letter-to-digit assignments on a remote control, as you have to
do on a Sky box.

Likewise when going to a channel in the EPG - I do it by LCN unless the
channel whose listings I want to scroll through is within a couple of
channels of the one that is currently selected.

On a PC, it's easier: you've got a proper QWERTY keyboard so it's easy to
search by channel or programme name - that's what I usually do with Windows
Media Centre or Next PVR which is how I record most programmes nowadays,
either for timeshifting or archiving.

Old July 13th 17, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I can see I'll have to investigate pc based freeview. The only unknown
quantity is whether the software complies with accessibility specs well
enough to work with a screenreader. Another thing they could do to help the
blind is write an Amazon Echo skill for this stuff.
Voice control has got to be the ultimate couch potato way.

Alexa, record bbc1 at 7pm today with audio description.

I suspect everything will end up satellite based or internet based, as how
much longer will freeview go on with the pressure of mobile data companies
offering green stuff to the gov.

"NY" wrote in message
"tim..." wrote in message
news

news

Old July 13th 17, 06:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"NY" wrote in message
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I do wish they would leave stuff alone though. Every time I do a retune
I need to do it more than once as usually some seem to be unobtainable
for some odd reason.
Its just a bit of a silly way to go on. When they invented the system
you would have thought it might have been bomb proof in its specs.
Brian

I can understand why it wasn't when they "invented" it,

but it certainly should have been part of the spec for freeview plus for
seamless channel reorganisations

The problem is that there wasn't a proper plan of the LCN assignments at
the start, with separate decades or centuries for each genre, and lots of
spare space for new channels in each genre.

but that's not the problem at all

the problem is that no-one mandated that there should be an automatic way
for boxes to move the virtual representation of a channel to point to the
new physical location of the channel when that changes. So every man and
his dog has to do a manual retune far too frequently..

This is not rocket science, it is no more difficult than a mobile phone
changing a frequency during a call if you move to an adjacent cell.

All it needs is some thought when you design your system. And there's no
reason why it couldn't be added to the encoding after it had been originally
designed.

tim

Old July 13th 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 13/07/2017 16:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
I can see I'll have to investigate pc based freeview. The only unknown
quantity is whether the software complies with accessibility specs well
enough to work with a screenreader. Another thing they could do to help the
blind is write an Amazon Echo skill for this stuff.
Voice control has got to be the ultimate couch potato way.

Alexa, record bbc1 at 7pm today with audio description.

"I'm sorry, Brian, I'm afraid I can't do that."

--
Max Demian