Tennis on 1080i

Old July 10th 17, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default Tennis on 1080i

How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I
thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for relatively
static shots.
Old July 10th 17, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/07/2017 15:13, Scott wrote:
How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I
thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for relatively
static shots.

DTT doesn't have the bandwidth to do 1080-50p, it can only do 1080-25p
or 1080-50i. 1080-25p is used on DTT when fields 1 and 2 are the same,
which is not the the case with tennis.

720-50p would have the bandwidth on DTT, and that would give the desired
temporal resolution, but not spacial

--
Mark
Old July 10th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 15:34:23 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 10/07/2017 15:13, Scott wrote:
How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I
thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for relatively
static shots.

DTT doesn't have the bandwidth to do 1080-50p, it can only do 1080-25p
or 1080-50i. 1080-25p is used on DTT when fields 1 and 2 are the same,
which is not the the case with tennis.

720-50p would have the bandwidth on DTT, and that would give the desired
temporal resolution, but not spacial

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I do not understand it !!!

Are fields 1 and 2 alternate scans? Is interlaced better for
fast-moving images, and have I just got it the wrong way round?
Old July 10th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/07/2017 17:45, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 15:34:23 +0100, Mark Carver

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I do not understand it !!!

Are fields 1 and 2 alternate scans?

Yes

Is interlaced better for
fast-moving images, and have I just got it the wrong way round?

50i is better than 25p for fast moving action, but 50p is the best.

50i is 50 'pictures' per second, but each picture is only half the
vertical resolution, so you end up with 25 interlaced frames per second.

25p is 25 'pictures' per second, all of which are a full vertical
resolution, but half the temporal resolution of 50i.

50p is 50 'pictures' per second, all of which are a full vertical
resolution, and double the temporal resolution of 25p.

The holy grail (for HD) is 1080-50p, it's the best starting point
to downconvert to anything else, 1080-50i, 720-50p, or 576-50i

4k formats (thank god) are only progressive, so you really
need 1080-p50 for anything you're going to upconvert.

An increasing amount of HD video production is now done at 1080-50p,
it's just that of course it consumes twice the bandwidth of 1080-50i,
no (or less) problem within the studio/OB environment, but to transmit
it, that's not beancounter friendly.

It should be noted in Germany 1080-50p DTT broadcasts are imminent (or
maybe already started ?)

--
Mark

Old July 10th 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Scott" wrote in message
news
How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I
thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for
relatively
static shots.

Other way round.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 10th 17, 08:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:27:13 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
news
How come the tennis on terrestrial HD is being shown in 1080i? I
thought 1080p was used for fast moving images and 1080i for
relatively
static shots.

Other way round.

Thanks - that explains it.
Old July 10th 17, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 10/07/2017 18:02, Mark Carver wrote:
The holy grail (for HD) is 1080-50p, it's the best starting point
to downconvert to anything else, 1080-50i, 720-50p, or 576-50i

IMHO if you're going to 576i you'd be better off with 1080i. No combing.

Andy
Old July 11th 17, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Its once again the old never mind the quality stuff. they mash up bandwidth
to the bare minimum to squeeze in as many junk channels as they can as
usual.

The Freeview plattform is increasing being seen as the entertainment system
for the cheapskates and plebs.
Not that I care any more but when I think of whot could be possible, it
irks me just as the restriction on audio does on most platforms either by
using lossy codecs or just undersampling with that horrible gritty sound as
a result.

I was trying out ambient and sleep sounds on the echo yesterday, Evey one of
theem is irritating due to lossy compression. the phasing effects and
swizzling background in the stereo are just going to do the opposite of
relaxing you.
Sounds like a cheap tape player where the tapes have stretched and snake
over the head rather then going in a linear way.
Absolute crap.

news

Old July 11th 17, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

My Echo device has probably given more false responses from the TV
than real ones from me actually asking it things. I only got it out of
curiosity when they reduced the price one weekend as part of one of
their special deals, but now that the novelty has worn off I mostly
just forget it's there. It'll probably end up in the junk room. At
least its power supply makes a reasonable phone charger.

Rod.