2001: A Space Odyssey

Old July 9th 17, 03:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default 2001: A Space Odyssey

On 08/07/2017 18:14, Mark Carver wrote:

My dad took me with him to see it at the cinema, not long after release.
I was only 6 or 7. I remember being amused (and the whole cinema
laughing) at the bit with 'BBC-12'

I just love that film. Always have.

Old July 9th 17, 08:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
news
Martin wrote in
:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 14:52:51 +0100, "tim..."

On 2017-07-08, Phi wrote:
BBC2 @11:15

Seen it 47 times already.

presume you therefore have the DVD (or other personal recorded form)

because it sure as hell hasn't been on the TV that frequently

Huge only needs to record it once to view it many times.

You want the BluRay, because only in HD you can read the instructions
for the zero g toilet.

Having just got to that part I did wonder if they were readable in a larger
format - and if they were, whether they made sense

tim

Old July 9th 17, 10:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default A Space Odyssey

So?
I saw this in 70 mm many years ago.
Most of my friends suggest this here computer system unit looks like the
monolith from that though I have to say, its not as big.
Life as we don't know it will not be recognised as they say.

Hang on a moment, my computer thinks I'm the weakest link Good bye.

No worries though I'll be reborn as a rat.

"Phi" wrote in message
news
BBC2 @11:15

Old July 9th 17, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

It has been on at least six times but nearly always late at night.

I have a record of the sound track music. that wailing is really really
eerie stuff.

"tim..." wrote in message
news

Old July 9th 17, 10:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

There were recordable DVDs and of course Video recorders as well, andwe used
to enjoy those at the time. I still feel we all need a device that allows us
to keep a hard copy. the industry is so busy attempting to stop people doing
this that its probably a major conspiracy cos they all think we are crooks.

"tim..." wrote in message
news

On 2017-07-08, Phi wrote:
BBC2 @11:15

Seen it 47 times already.

presume you therefore have the DVD (or other personal recorded form)

because it sure as hell hasn't been on the TV that frequently

Huge only needs to record it once to view it many times.

If I kept stuff that I had recorded to watch again I would be on by 25th
PVR

tim

Old July 9th 17, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes it was dark but with a sense of humour as well.
It did not show humans and their creations in a very good light though.
I guess this was the point.

Incidentally, tomorrow the Juno Spacecraft makes a close pass, 22000 miles
or less over the great red spot on Jupiter, well inside the magnetic field
of Jupiter for the first time with all instruments on. they recon the data
will be back the next day.
I'm not sure I'd really want to go there in person as the radiation is
unsurvivable by living thins (as we know it) apparently.

news

Old July 9th 17, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Are you sure the capstan on your tape recorder doesn't need a spot of
grease, Brian?

--

Jeff

Old July 9th 17, 07:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/07/2017 11:09, Brian Gaff wrote:

No worries though I'll be reborn as a rat.
Brian

No you'll be a bat.

Old July 9th 17, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On 2017-07-08, Phi wrote:
BBC2 @11:15

Seen it 47 times already.

It was on TNT every day in the Sky analogue days. Every single day,
sometimes more than once per day. I doubt if even Carole Hersee got
more airtime!
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%