Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One

Old July 11th 17, 05:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One

On 2017-07-11, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/07/2017 11:00, Huge wrote:

And no-one's forced to pay for the BBC. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If I want to watch ordinary broadcast television how can I not pay the
BBC poll tax? I think you're just being silly now.

Ah, so you want to steal your TV content. Thanks for letting us know.

I want to watch free to air channels that are not paid for by the TV
licence. What do you mean stealing?

Old July 11th 17, 06:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 18:18:31 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

And no-one's forced to pay for the BBC. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

If I want to watch ordinary broadcast television how can I not pay the
BBC poll tax? I think you're just being silly now.

Ah, so you want to steal your TV content. Thanks for letting us know.

I want to watch free to air channels that are not paid for by the TV
licence. What do you mean stealing?

Perhaps he means this-

[from the OED]
"a. Take away dishonestly or illegally (portable property, livestock,
etc., belonging to another), esp. secretly and with no intention of
returning it".

But how would you return a TV broadcast?

Old July 11th 17, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On 11 Jul 2017 10:37:33 GMT, Huge wrote:

They all seem to be trying to get as many viewers as possible online,
and it's not difficult to guess why. Once we're online and have to log
in with usernames to watch anything, then we can be counted and
controlled, and if the broadcasters fancy putting up a paywall, or
charging for individual programmes, then they can do this easily.

And drive all their customers into the arms of the "pirates". If it's
easier to watch something pirated than it is to do it "legally" (even
if you have to pay), then "your" business model is very broken.

The answer it to charge a price that's worth paying. If it's easier or
cheaper to do something legally, then that's what they'll do.

Old July 11th 17, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 11/07/2017 19:11, Roderick Stewart wrote:

But how would you return a TV broadcast?

Unterminate the feed.

--
Mark
Old July 11th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 19:42:26 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

On 11/07/2017 19:11, Roderick Stewart wrote:

But how would you return a TV broadcast?

Unterminate the feed.

I suspect that gem might be lost on a lot of people!
Old July 11th 17, 09:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 11/07/2017 19:42, Mark Carver wrote:
On 11/07/2017 19:11, Roderick Stewart wrote:

But how would you return a TV broadcast?

Unterminate the feed.

Oh I say, well done sir!

Old July 12th 17, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:16:42 +0100, Yellow

says...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 20:49:59 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:42:41 +0100, Scott
wrote:

Personally, I do not object to paying for the BBC but I do object to
paying so much. For me, not least because I live alone, it is not good
value for money.

It would be if you were 75 or over, or moved one in to live with you.

40p/day "not good value for money"???

[Shakes head]

No, at almost 150, for me it is not good value for money at all.

Well, I would be happy to pay double to save me the cost of going to
the cinema every week and having to sit through people crunching
popcorn and texting their friends :-)

You can achieve all this for, not double, but about half the cost of a
BBC licence with a Netflix or Amazon Prime account. It's only if you
want to watch live TV that you have to get a BBC licence *as well*.

150 *pence* per year is not good value for money if it's for something
you don't want.

I like BBC News Channel as well though so that blows that out the
water :-)

And then helps the rest of us, how?

By funding public service broadcasting in the UK ?
Old July 12th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 05:07:19 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 10/07/2017 18:47, tim... wrote:

what other form of "annual" entertainment can you get for 150 quid?

The entertainment is valueless because they pop little bits of lefty
******** into everything which makes it unwatchable.

Maybe you are the one at risk of being brainwashed if you are
incapable of listening to opinions you disagree with then making up
your own mind.
Old July 12th 17, 08:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

On 10/07/2017 18:47, tim... wrote:

what other form of "annual" entertainment can you get for 150 quid?

The entertainment is valueless because they pop little bits of lefty
******** into everything which makes it unwatchable.

Maybe you are the one at risk of being brainwashed if you are
incapable of listening to opinions you disagree with then making up
your own mind.

I'm not. But I'd like people to be presented with all viewpoints, not
just those of the left/liberal metropolitans who infest the BBC.

Old July 14th 17, 07:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:13:41 +0100, Yellow

says...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:29:03 +0100, Yellow

lid
says...

On 2017-07-10, Norman Wells wrote:
On 10/07/2017 13:42, Yellow wrote:

Personally, I do not object to paying for the BBC but I do object to
paying so much. For me, not least because I live alone, it is not good
value for money.

It would be if you were 75 or over, or moved one in to live with you.

40p/day "not good value for money"???

[Shakes head]

No, at almost 150, for me it is not good value for money at all.

Well, I would be happy to pay double to save me the cost of going to
the cinema every week and having to sit through people crunching
popcorn and texting their friends :-)

Then I would recommend Netflx, Amazon Prime or Lovefilm, as they are all
cheaper than the TV licence fee and have a huge selection of films to
choose from rather than just having what is served up.

Actually Amazon Prime has a pretty small selection of films and TV
serials to choose from. (Quite a few of the TV serials originated from
the BBC!) The selection looks larger than it actually is because of
the way it is presented, same offerings in multiple categories and no
decent indexing system.

If you are prepared to pay extra, you get a wider choice. They have
also started a technique of offering early series included in the
subscription, but charging for the recent ones.

Amazon Prime have more content available than I can keep up with, so it
suits me fine.