Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One

Old July 9th 17, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Default Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 09:50:04 +0100, John J Armstrong
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 19:59:15 +0100, Scott
wrote:

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 08:55:28 +0100, Dave W
wrote:

On 07/07/2017 21:13, Scott wrote:
Why does the BBC continue to shift tennis matches from BBC Two to BBC
One when particular games are being played, such as Murray v Fognini
tonight? Do they think tennis fans are too stupid to operate a remote
control successfully?

If anyone sets up a recording of the tennis - or Eastenders for that
matter - will they end up with the wrong programme recorded or do
programme codes handle that?

We can rant all we want but it's very unlikely the BBC reads this.

I listen to Feedback periodically.

No-one was available from the scheduling department to come on the
programme. A spokesman told us: 'We schedule our programmes to
provide the best possible audience experience and sometimes we change
the schedules, again for the same reason. Any change that is made is
solely driven by the interests of the audience.'

I totally agree with all the comments on this. I have been
complaining about this for years, and have had some replies from the
BBC. Here is one from 2009:

"Thanks for your e-mail regarding the BBC One and BBC TWO schedules on
29 June.

We appreciate that you were unhappy that the billed programmes on BBC
One were moved to BBC TWO to show 'Wimbledon 2009 Andy Murray v
Stanislas Wawrinka' on BBC One.

BBC One is where viewers come to enjoy great sporting moments of
national importance. Andy Murray’s match against Stanislas Wawrinka
was one such occasion. From the outset it looked like the match was
going to be very close so we took the decision to move it to BBC One
as soon as we could and to stay with it right to the end to ensure
that the maximum number of people could enjoy this nail biting game.

We regret any inconvenience caused to viewers as a result of the move
but this was a hugely important match and we wanted as many people to
see it as possible.

We'd also like to assure you that we’ve registered your complaint on
our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that’s
circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive
Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape
decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints"

It could have been put more briefly: "Shut up, go away, we know best."

You'll note too their use of the phrase "great sporting moments of
national importance". "Interest", perhaps. "Importance", no.

And quite why things have to be on BBC1 to get the maximum audience is
beyond me. As others have indicated, tennis fans are surely not too
stupid to press a button on the remote.

Do they know that BBC One and BBC Two have precisely the same
reception 'footprint'? There is no television in the United Kingdom
that can receive BBC One but cannot receive BBC Two.

Could the policy have originated when BBC1 was on VHF and BBC2 on UHF
and only those with dual standard television receivers and a new
aerial could receive BBC2?

Yes.

Maybe it's time to update the policy for the digital era..

Yes - it's been out of date since 405 switch off. (1985)

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old July 9th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Sporting event of national importance? Does anyone even remember this
particular match today?

[...]

And the interest is not even national.

And quite why things have to be on BBC1 to get the maximum audience is
beyond me. As others have indicated, tennis fans are surely not too
stupid to press a button on the remote.

I truly believe the BBC know they are wrong on this one but do what they
do simply because they make the decision to do so. And changing it now
just proves how wrong they have been in the past.
Old July 9th 17, 06:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

wrote:

And quite why things have to be on BBC1 to get the maximum audience is
beyond me.

It might well be beyond you, but it's what happens. People are stupid
and habituated.

As others have indicated, tennis fans are surely not too
stupid to press a button on the remote.

Nope, they're just like the rest of the population. As you might expect.
Old July 9th 17, 06:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 17:25:53 +0100, Yellow
wrote:

[snip]

I truly believe the BBC know they are wrong on this one but do what they
do simply because they make the decision to do so. And changing it now
just proves how wrong they have been in the past.

Now that Ofcom is in charge, is there any prospect they might become
involved?
Old July 10th 17, 08:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

And quite why things have to be on BBC1 to get the maximum audience is
beyond me.

It might well be beyond you, but it's what happens. People are stupid
and habituated.

yep

I can't believe the number of times I see/hear people say "I only ever watch
the main 4 channels" (and yes, I do mean 4, though they possibly don't)

tim

Old July 10th 17, 09:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

And quite why things have to be on BBC1 to get the maximum audience is
beyond me.

It might well be beyond you, but it's what happens. People are stupid
and habituated.

yep

I can't believe the number of times I see/hear people say "I only ever watch
the main 4 channels" (and yes, I do mean 4, though they possibly don't)

Along with those Sky subscribers who say 'I never watch the BBC so why
should I pay for it'.
Old July 10th 17, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 12:57:15 +0100, Scott

On 2017-07-09, Scott wrote:

[76 lines snipped]

There is no television in the United Kingdom
that can receive BBC One but cannot receive BBC Two.

Could the policy have originated when BBC1 was on VHF and BBC2 on UHF
and only those with dual standard television receivers and a new
aerial could receive BBC2?

I've always assumed this is where the (stupid, pointless) policy of
moving
things about came from.

Although it could be that they do whatever generates the fewest
complaints.
Do more people watch East Enders than Wimbledon, for example?

Not anymore. 4 million have stopped watching EE in the last years.

or perhaps it's 4 million watchers of EE have died (of boredom) and no new
viewers have replaced them

tim