Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One

Old July 8th 17, 09:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default Shift of tennis from BBC Two to BBC One

On 08/07/2017 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
I agree.
They are darned lucky Sky have not bought the rights by now anyway.
Brian

They can't be under the current rules. They are v'Crown Jewels'
sporting events:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...l-economy-bill
Old July 8th 17, 09:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 10:06:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

If you just listen to the sound all you tend to hear is the ball hitting
and grunting noises.

Yes, I believe the professional rules of the game state that matches
should be played in silence - certainly they used to, because I
remember when Jimmy Connors first appeared on the scene that Dan
Maskell wondered why these rules weren't being applied. But they
weren't, so now the genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back
in, and modern audiences have to suffer a range of unwholesome and
unwanted sound effects redolent of a banshee suffering from terminal
orgasm.
Old July 8th 17, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

If you just listen to the sound all you tend to hear is the ball hitting
and grunting noises.

Yes, I believe the professional rules of the game state that matches
should be played in silence - certainly they used to, because I
remember when Jimmy Connors first appeared on the scene that Dan
Maskell wondered why these rules weren't being applied. But they
weren't, so now the genie is out of the bottle and can't be put back
in, and modern audiences have to suffer a range of unwholesome and
unwanted sound effects redolent of a banshee suffering from terminal
orgasm.

Or mute the sound. :-)
I can see the play, I can see the score, and I don't need the commentary.

Old July 8th 17, 05:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 11:20:39 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 22:00:40 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

"Scott" wrote in message
. ..
Why does the BBC continue to shift tennis matches from BBC Two to BBC
One when particular games are being played, such as Murray v Fognini
tonight? Do they think tennis fans are too stupid to operate a remote
control successfully?

If anyone sets up a recording of the tennis - or Eastenders for that
matter - will they end up with the wrong programme recorded or do
programme codes handle that?

I started to watch QI on iPlayer thru' browser. After a few minutes
tennis came on.

I spotted that Count Arthur had been switched to BBC 2 and set my PVR to
record it. I only got the first 13 minutes. Count Arthur replaced Clare
Balding's Wimbledon waffle programme. Did she have a hissy fit?

That's interesting. I never noticed the disruption. Although I still
schedule the BBC's SD broadcasts from Kaffeine's EPG, I rarely bother
using the actual files other than to speed up the klunky renaming process
when using the Dolphin file manager in the host Linux Mint 17.1 OS to
give the get_iplayer downloaded files meaningful names assembled from the
BBC's TV schedule web pages in the winXP VM to fill out the partial names
given to the off-air recordings by the EPG listing info, adding a date
code (yyyymmdd format) followed by an episode name if one exists (the
episode numbers in the case of serialised programmes are placed between
the name and the date code in the form of 1-6 or 01-13 in the case of 6
and 13 episode serials respectively - the "/" character isn't a legal
naming character in the common denominator world of Microsoft naming
conventions).

I then minimise the VM window to work with renaming the get_iplayer
fetched media files (prefixing the date code with a "#" to signify that
the mp4 file was an iplayer sourced file rather than a torrent sourced
one) prior to verifying their completeness (the eedjits looking after the
Beeb's iplayer concession stand do occasionally make mistakes or "Just
Phone It In") and moving them to a halfway folder prior to either be
processed further or else sent to their final destination in the archive
folders on the NAS box.

Prior to my discovering get_iplayer as a means of sourcing half HD
quality versions of the SD broadcasts that I was recording off-air with
Kaffeine, the SD captures would be topped and tailed and converted from
Kaffeine's m2t TS format into regular mpg PS media files using
MpegStreamClip running in the winXP VM before being virtually losslessly
transcoded by Handbrake into more compact H264 mkv files ready for final
storage in my media archive.

Since I started routinely using get_iPlayer some 7 or 8 months ago, this
final step of topping and tailing and converting into mpg then mkv media
files is no longer applied unless it's something that wasn't made
available for downloading via the iPlayer service (typically the more
recently released movies that haven't yet been relegated to DVD
distribution in pound shops).

If I hadn't spotted your remarks about the disruption imposed by the
tennis onto the broadcasting of last night's Count Arthur Strong episode,
I wouldn't have noticed anything amiss. :-)

As annoying as iPlayer can be at times (failing to deliver 'The Goods'
and substituting its half HD 1280 by 720 format quality with a kakamaimee
sub-SD 960 by 540 version), it generally delivers a better quality
version that's often, but sadly not always, free of "Shouty Man" end
credit vandalism so typical of most of the Beeb's Freeview broadcasts.

The biggest 'Fly in The Ointment' with iPlayer downloaded content is the
"BBC" DOG displayed in the top left hand corner of the screen. In the
case of BBC Four and CBBC programmes, it's merely a substitution for an
existing DOG so not particularly objectionable in this case (although
I've noticed that BBC4's DOG has been made almost vanishingly transparent
these past 12 months or so). It grates a little more in the case of BBC
ONE and BBC TWO broadcasts which normally don't pointlessly show a DOG
but I guess that's the price of "Better than SD quality" and the almost
complete elimination of the "Shouty Man" syndrome during the end
credits. :-(

I've been struggling to upgrade Kaffeine's recording quality to "Full
HD" these past three weeks or so but this has proved to be a more complex
and difficult task than I had ever imagined. I won't bore you with the
sorry tale so far, which those of us who also subscribe to the ucol news
group will already be only too aware, suffice to say that I haven't yet
given up on this 'Project' - I'm merely 'resting' in order to take stock.

However, I did manage, despite unforeseen difficulties, to collect an
evening's worth of BBC HD test material via Kaffeine's recording schedule
assembled from the epg which both proved it could be made to work in
principle and yet showed the downsides of off-air HD recordings (DOG ****
and "Shouty Man" syndrome - features largely absent from iPlayer's half
HD material).

In view of the much inflated file sizes and the much greater workload
involved with trimming the start and end paddings, I'm seriously
considering restricting off-air HD recordings to stuff that's either not
available from iPlayer or else only available in that kakamaimee "960 by
540 neither one thing nor the other" format.

In the meantime, I'll keep checking those daily scheduled "Eggheads"
recordings that ICBA to remove from Kaffeine's recording schedule before
deleting them. Once I see an actual Eggheads episode materialise against
that filename, I'll know the tennis has finished and most everything has
returned to normality in the BBC schedules.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of disruption from things like snooker or
athletics or any number of other excuses to disrupt the regular schedule
so I won't be taking any such apparent return to normality as being
anything more than a temporary respite at this time of the year.

--
Johnny B Good
Old July 8th 17, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 08:55:28 +0100, Dave W
wrote:

On 07/07/2017 21:13, Scott wrote:
Why does the BBC continue to shift tennis matches from BBC Two to BBC
One when particular games are being played, such as Murray v Fognini
tonight? Do they think tennis fans are too stupid to operate a remote
control successfully?

If anyone sets up a recording of the tennis - or Eastenders for that
matter - will they end up with the wrong programme recorded or do
programme codes handle that?

We can rant all we want but it's very unlikely the BBC reads this.

I listen to Feedback periodically.

No-one was available from the scheduling department to come on the
programme. A spokesman told us: 'We schedule our programmes to
provide the best possible audience experience and sometimes we change
the schedules, again for the same reason. Any change that is made is
solely driven by the interests of the audience.'
Old July 9th 17, 03:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/07/2017 10:52, Java Jive wrote:

and modern audiences have to suffer a range of unwholesome and
unwanted sound effects redolent of a banshee suffering from terminal
orgasm.

You must have had an interesting sex life...

Old July 9th 17, 08:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John J Armstrong

wrote:

On 07/07/2017 21:13, Scott wrote:
Why does the BBC continue to shift tennis matches from BBC Two to BBC
One when particular games are being played, such as Murray v Fognini
tonight? Do they think tennis fans are too stupid to operate a remote
control successfully?

If anyone sets up a recording of the tennis - or Eastenders for that
matter - will they end up with the wrong programme recorded or do
programme codes handle that?

We can rant all we want but it's very unlikely the BBC reads this.

I listen to Feedback periodically.

No-one was available from the scheduling department to come on the
programme. A spokesman told us: 'We schedule our programmes to
provide the best possible audience experience and sometimes we change
the schedules, again for the same reason. Any change that is made is
solely driven by the interests of the audience.'

I totally agree with all the comments on this. I have been
complaining about this for years, and have had some replies from the
BBC. Here is one from 2009:

"Thanks for your e-mail regarding the BBC One and BBC TWO schedules on
29 June.

We appreciate that you were unhappy that the billed programmes on BBC
One were moved to BBC TWO to show 'Wimbledon 2009 Andy Murray v
Stanislas Wawrinka' on BBC One.

BBC One is where viewers come to enjoy great sporting moments of
national importance. Andy Murray’s match against Stanislas Wawrinka
was one such occasion. From the outset it looked like the match was
going to be very close so we took the decision to move it to BBC One
as soon as we could and to stay with it right to the end to ensure
that the maximum number of people could enjoy this nail biting game.

We regret any inconvenience caused to viewers as a result of the move
but this was a hugely important match and we wanted as many people to
see it as possible.

We'd also like to assure you that we’ve registered your complaint on
our audience log. This is a daily report of audience feedback that’s
circulated to many BBC staff, including members of the BBC Executive
Board, channel controllers and other senior managers.

The audience logs are seen as important documents that can help shape
decisions about future programming and content.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us.

Regards

BBC Complaints"

It could have been put more briefly: "Shut up, go away, we know best."

You'll note too their use of the phrase "great sporting moments of
national importance". "Interest", perhaps. "Importance", no.

And quite why things have to be on BBC1 to get the maximum audience is
beyond me. As others have indicated, tennis fans are surely not too
stupid to press a button on the remote.
Old July 9th 17, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Do they know that BBC One and BBC Two have precisely the same
reception 'footprint'? There is no television in the United Kingdom
that can receive BBC One but cannot receive BBC Two.

Could the policy have originated when BBC1 was on VHF and BBC2 on UHF
and only those with dual standard television receivers and a new
aerial could receive BBC2?

Maybe it's time to update the policy for the digital era..
Old July 9th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Friday, 7 July 2017 21:13:58 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Why does the BBC continue to shift tennis matches from BBC Two to BBC
One when particular games are being played, such as Murray v Fognini
tonight? Do they think tennis fans are too stupid to operate a remote
control successfully?

Couldn't they shift Wimbledon to coincide with the summer Parliamentary recess, then all the MPs wouldn't have to take time out from their busy working lives to watch the tennis, and BBC Parliament could become BBC Wimbledon for the duration.

Then BBC One could stick with its normal daytime schedule of great programmes of national importance, like People With Appalling Regional Accents Become Buy-To-Let Tycoons, or Women With Big Teeth Learn To Boil An Egg.

Owain

Old July 9th 17, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On 2017-07-09, Scott wrote:

[76 lines snipped]

There is no television in the United Kingdom
that can receive BBC One but cannot receive BBC Two.

Could the policy have originated when BBC1 was on VHF and BBC2 on UHF
and only those with dual standard television receivers and a new
aerial could receive BBC2?

I've always assumed this is where the (stupid, pointless) policy of moving
things about came from.

Although it could be that they do whatever generates the fewest complaints.
Do more people watch East Enders than Wimbledon, for example?

Both groups could reasonably complain the the advertised programme was
not shown on the advertised channel :-)

Maybe it's time to update the policy for the digital era..

Quite.

By the curious logic of the BBC, if there is a major news story why
don't they move the Radio 4 programmes on to Radio 2 and extend the
Today programme? If the world's most famous violinist is performing a
classical concert, why not move that to Radio 2 for a larger audience
and transfer the Radio 2 programme to Radio 3?