Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

Old July 9th 17, 08:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

On 2017-07-08, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 11:59:31 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

who cares about the philosophical implications?

If we were to discover that we are not alone in the universe, the
philosophical implications would be profound. It would mean that all
thought and meaning doesn't end when we do, but instead of religion
offering this notion as an unprovable false hope, this time it would
be science giving it to us as a certainty based on something real.

I wouldn't bother. "tim..." has all the imagination and sense of
wonder of a dried dog turd.

oh you've brought your mum along too I see

tim

Old July 9th 17, 08:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

wrote:

who cares about the philosophical implications?

If we were to discover that we are not alone in the universe, the
philosophical implications would be profound. It would mean that all
thought and meaning doesn't end when we do,

yeah, so what?

but instead of religion
offering this notion as an unprovable false hope,

I think the idea that religion offers us the "hope" of eternal life is no
longer believed by the masses in the developed world

this time it would
be science giving it to us as a certainty based on something real.

I still don't see what this "something real" gives us.

tim

Old July 9th 17, 09:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 04:18:32 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

The human race and everything on this planet definitely will die out
eventually. I can't speak for everybody, but I find it a very
depressing thought

I don't see why. What does the human race matter? What does all life
matter? It only serves itself. When it's gone it's gone and the universe
will be no worse off.

that if we are unique then it would be the end of
everything when we go. I hope there's more life, somewhere, even if it
isn't us. We can't prove the existence of an "afterlife", but there is
a genuine possibility of discovering real life, if there is any.

Why is life so important to you? Why should one arrangement of molecules
matter more than another?

I suppose it feels important to me because I *am* a sentient
arrangement of molecules. It's natural for life to try to preserve
life, usually either its own or that of its offspring or other
relatives, and sometimes even at the expense of its own. When it's my
turn to die, I'll be sad to go, but cheered by the thought that
something of me will survive through my children and anybody else I
may have influenced. In a similar way, sadness at the thought that one
day my entire planet must die would be tempered by the knowledge that
something would survive somewhere, even if it isn't us. The universe
may not care, but I do.

Perhaps that's the only answer: it's important to keep things alive
because we care, and we care because we're alive.

In a universe without life there could be no suffering.

True, but there'd be no Beethoven either, or anything else that would
make anybody's brief spark of sentient existence worth experiencing.

Old July 9th 17, 09:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 09/07/2017 04:09, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/07/2017 19:30, Max Demian wrote:

Knowing that there are *definitely* green blobs of life 100 light
years away wouldn't be much consolation if we know the human race will
likely die out eventually.

Much more relevant to the here and now and to the future that our
children will have to live in is the fact that our western European
civilisation will fall over the next few generations because of the
Muslim demographic invasion.

More likely an "accidental" nuclear war.

--
Max Demian
Old July 9th 17, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/07/2017 00:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The human race and everything on this planet definitely will die out
eventually. I can't speak for everybody, but I find it a very
depressing thought that if we are unique then it would be the end of
everything when we go.

Why should it be assumed that human life is the end of evolution?
Humans evolved from earlier life forms, so why shouldn't there be a
stage beyond humans that evolves from us (or crocodiles or ants or
whatever)? Earth has a few billion years left in which to surprise us.

That said, the sun will eventually kill off all life on Earth, so unless
the life forms on Earth eventually migrate to a planet around a younger
star, the current Earth-based evolutionary progress has a finite end.

Old July 9th 17, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 08/07/2017 19:27, Max Demian wrote:

We can say there's no *evidence* for the truth of religious concepts - a
personal God, a detachable soul (including survival of the self after
death), objective morality and the rest - and why should we believe in
something for which there is no evidence?

We can't *disprove* such things, in the sense that we can't *disprove*
the existence of invisible fairies at the bottom of the garden.

A while ago I read a thought experiment.

Mr 2-dimension is happy in his 2-dimensional world. He can look around,
he can travel from A to B. Everything looks normal to him.

Enter Mr 3-dimensions who picks up an object from one side of Mr
2-dimension's room and puts it down on the other side. To Mr
2-dimensions, the object disappeared before his eyes and reappeared
somewhere else. He knows it happened because he saw it, but he won't be
able to convince other inhabitants of the 2-dimensional world that it
did happen and therefore it is possible. The other inhabitants won't be
able to prove it wasn't possible either, only assert that it couldn't be.

What we can detect with our senses and our scientific instruments will
be limited by the environment we live in. We can never prove nor
disprove something we are not designed to detect. We can only note that
there are rare second-hand reports of things we can't explain, and we
can choose whether or not to have faith that such things might be possible.

Old July 9th 17, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 09/07/2017 11:28, Indy Jess John wrote:

That said, the sun will eventually kill off all life on Earth,

Not if we move the Earth before the sun goes walkabout on the HR
diagramme

--
Robin
Old July 9th 17, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 09/07/2017 10:48, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/07/2017 04:09, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/07/2017 19:30, Max Demian wrote:

Knowing that there are *definitely* green blobs of life 100 light
years away wouldn't be much consolation if we know the human race
will likely die out eventually.

Much more relevant to the here and now and to the future that our
children will have to live in is the fact that our western European
civilisation will fall over the next few generations because of the
Muslim demographic invasion.

More likely an "accidental" nuclear war.

You will actually see exhaustion of resources through global population
increase. As with all animal populations that will cause dramatic
decline and the return to a pretty unpleasant stone-age way of life.
You will get famine and disease, and increased susceptibility to natural
or man-made disasters over which we have no control that could well
prove terminal.

We're only temporary tenants of the earth. It is 4543 million years
old. Humans have only been on it for 0.2 of those. Anyone who thinks
we'll be anything other than brief occupiers is living in cloud cuckoo land.

We might think we're brighter than anything that's been here before, but
we're still completely unable to stop it.

Old July 9th 17, 06:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 04:01:41 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

If we can establish two way communication anything becomes possible.

How are we going to do that with places hundreds or thousands of light
years away?

Maybe send an email?

No point. It'll just end up in their spam folder.
Old July 9th 17, 07:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/07/2017 10:48, Max Demian wrote:
On 09/07/2017 04:09, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/07/2017 19:30, Max Demian wrote:

Knowing that there are *definitely* green blobs of life 100 light
years away wouldn't be much consolation if we know the human race
will likely die out eventually.

Much more relevant to the here and now and to the future that our
children will have to live in is the fact that our western European
civilisation will fall over the next few generations because of the
Muslim demographic invasion.

More likely an "accidental" nuclear war.

The demographic invasion is definitely going to happen.