Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

Old July 7th 17, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Horizon 2017: Strange Signals from Outer Space

I noted in the programme that the USA has an official policy of what
procedures will be implemented if ever an alien civilisation is discovered.
This will help their requirement to snatch any advanced technology that may
be hanging about. You know a bit like after WW2 when Von Braun and others
were appropriated to the USA and didn't stand trial.
"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 07/07/2017 09:40, tim... wrote:
"Phi" wrote in message
news

Not much original science content in this programme and the narrator
keeps repeating what the scientists say.

I think that looking for ET is nothing more than a child's game

If we do (somehow) find this information what the **** are we going to
do with it? How does it help mankind?

Sometimes knowledge is important or interesting just for what it is. It
shows we have vision beyond where the next meal is coming from. It's a
form of art.

We don't necessarily know what we're going to do with any information we
find. It depends to some extent on what it is we discover.

I get that

but billions of pounds/dollars worth!!!!!

tim

Old July 8th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
"tim..." wrote
in news
I think that looking for ET is nothing more than a child's game

I was going to agree, because the chances of finding anything in the
foreseeable future are tiny, but ..

If we do (somehow) find this information what the **** are we going to
do with it? How does it help mankind?

The fact that there are others out there means we're not alone. This
has all sort of philosophical implications by itself, and it will
likely shatter the basis of religion as we know it (some religions
anyway).

like there isn't enough information available to do this already

and yet they still believe (insisting that the "proof" is a conspiracy, some
more proof will just be more part of the conspiracy)

If we can understand what they're saying and what they're doing, it'll
even be momre earthshattering in myriads of unpredictable ways.

If we can establish two way communication anything becomes possible.

How are we going to do that with places hundreds or thousands of light years
away?

Conversely, if we could somehow establish that we _are_ alone in the
entire universe (which is not out of the question at this stage), it'll
also have deep philosophical and religious implications.

who cares about the philosophical implications?

tim

Old July 8th 17, 02:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 12:46:30 +0200, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

science pushed god(s) into the dustbin of delusion and superstition.

Science did nothing of that sort.

More's the pity.

It's neither good nor bad. It just means science isn't equipped to
explore the supernatural, nor does it claim to be. The question if
there's a supernatural world or god(s) is by definition unanswerable.
So any atheist who claims that science can disprove religion is wrong,
but so is any theist who thinks science is out to attack religion.

Anything that doesn't interact in any materially detectable way with
the real universe effectively doesn't exist, or if it does "exist" in
some other realm of existence that doesn't interact with ours
(whatever that might mean), then it's undetectable anyway, and
therefore irrelevant. Science isn't equipped to explore it because
there's nothing to explore. It's just a concept. If you think there
really is such a thing you can believe whatever you like about it
because in this universe we'll never know. In terms of scientifically
valid knowledge, "dustbin" doesn't seem a bad analogy.

Old July 8th 17, 02:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 11:59:31 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

who cares about the philosophical implications?

If we were to discover that we are not alone in the universe, the
philosophical implications would be profound. It would mean that all
thought and meaning doesn't end when we do, but instead of religion
offering this notion as an unprovable false hope, this time it would
be science giving it to us as a certainty based on something real.

Old July 8th 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 08/07/2017 11:46, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
Huge wrote
in :

On 2017-07-08, Wolfgang Schwanke wrote:
MR wrote in
:

science pushed god(s) into the dustbin of delusion and superstition.

Science did nothing of that sort.

More's the pity.

It's neither good nor bad. It just means science isn't equipped to
explore the supernatural, nor does it claim to be. The question if
there's a supernatural world or god(s) is by definition unanswerable.
So any atheist who claims that science can disprove religion is wrong,
but so is any theist who thinks science is out to attack religion.

We can say there's no *evidence* for the truth of religious concepts - a
personal God, a detachable soul (including survival of the self after
death), objective morality and the rest - and why should we believe in
something for which there is no evidence?

We can't *disprove* such things, in the sense that we can't *disprove*
the existence of invisible fairies at the bottom of the garden.

--
Max Demian
Old July 8th 17, 06:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

who cares about the philosophical implications?

If we were to discover that we are not alone in the universe, the
philosophical implications would be profound. It would mean that all
thought and meaning doesn't end when we do, but instead of religion
offering this notion as an unprovable false hope, this time it would
be science giving it to us as a certainty based on something real.

Knowing that there are *definitely* green blobs of life 100 light years
away wouldn't be much consolation if we know the human race will likely
die out eventually.

--
Max Demian
Old July 8th 17, 11:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 19:30:26 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

who cares about the philosophical implications?

If we were to discover that we are not alone in the universe, the
philosophical implications would be profound. It would mean that all
thought and meaning doesn't end when we do, but instead of religion
offering this notion as an unprovable false hope, this time it would
be science giving it to us as a certainty based on something real.

Knowing that there are *definitely* green blobs of life 100 light years
away wouldn't be much consolation if we know the human race will likely
die out eventually.

The human race and everything on this planet definitely will die out
eventually. I can't speak for everybody, but I find it a very
depressing thought that if we are unique then it would be the end of
everything when we go. I hope there's more life, somewhere, even if it
isn't us. We can't prove the existence of an "afterlife", but there is
a genuine possibility of discovering real life, if there is any.

Old July 9th 17, 03:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/07/2017 11:59, tim... wrote:

If we can establish two way communication anything becomes possible.

How are we going to do that with places hundreds or thousands of light
years away?

Maybe send an email?

Old July 9th 17, 03:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/07/2017 19:30, Max Demian wrote:

Knowing that there are *definitely* green blobs of life 100 light years
away wouldn't be much consolation if we know the human race will likely
die out eventually.

Much more relevant to the here and now and to the future that our
children will have to live in is the fact that our western European
civilisation will fall over the next few generations because of the
Muslim demographic invasion.

Old July 9th 17, 03:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 09/07/2017 00:01, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The human race and everything on this planet definitely will die out
eventually. I can't speak for everybody, but I find it a very
depressing thought

I don't see why. What does the human race matter? What does all life
matter? It only serves itself. When it's gone it's gone and the universe
will be no worse off.

that if we are unique then it would be the end of
everything when we go. I hope there's more life, somewhere, even if it
isn't us. We can't prove the existence of an "afterlife", but there is
a genuine possibility of discovering real life, if there is any.

Why is life so important to you? Why should one arrangement of molecules
matter more than another?

In a universe without life there could be no suffering.