Ch4 and 4+1 confusion

Old July 6th 17, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

Default Ch4 and 4+1 confusion

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:44:03 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes, what actually is the point of digital on screen graphics being used as
permanent identifiers? In any modern tv you can find out what channel you
are on very easily using facilities in the tv. Worries me not, but many do
get annoyed with them.
Brian

I thought it was for copyright, to allow pirated copies to be
identifed more easily.
Old July 6th 17, 09:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 06/07/17 17:22, Mark Carver wrote:
On 06/07/2017 17:04, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/07/17 09:35, Mark Carver wrote:

BTW Jeff, what did the EPG data say, was that swapped too ?

I can't remember - and I'm not even sure that I checked it. I'm pretty
sure though that the programme info described what was on-screen at the
time when I pressed the "i" button on the remote, and when I changed
channels between 4 and 13 (I assume that's taken from the EPG info). I'm
pretty sure that the DOGs were correct for the programmes - it was just
that they were on the wrong channels! So on 4 you had Posh Pawnbrokers
and the 4+1 DOG, and on 13 you had Countdown with the 4 DOG.

How is that possible?

In an infinite universe, anything is possible !

I don't remember seeing "Zen and the Art of Digital TV Transmission" in
Waterstones...

--

Jeff
Old July 7th 17, 07:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 06/07/2017 21:20, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 06/07/17 17:22, Mark Carver wrote:

In an infinite universe, anything is possible !

I don't remember seeing "Zen and the Art of Digital TV Transmission" in
Waterstones...

Give it time.....

--
Mark
Old July 7th 17, 07:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

wrote:

Yes, what actually is the point of digital on screen graphics being used as
permanent identifiers? In any modern tv you can find out what channel you
are on very easily using facilities in the tv. Worries me not, but many do
get annoyed with them.
Brian

I thought it was for copyright, to allow pirated copies to be
identifed more easily.

It was. Italy's RAI introduced them in the 70s for that reason, today
they are there because marketing and branding a channel seems to be more
that its programmes

--
Mark
Old July 7th 17, 07:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/07/2017 07:17, Mark Carver wrote:

It was. Italy's RAI introduced them in the 70s for that reason, today
they are there because marketing and branding a channel seems to be

.......more important than its programmes

(It's the heat)

--
Mark
Old July 7th 17, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/07/2017 09:28, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 07:29:49 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

On 07/07/2017 07:17, Mark Carver wrote:

It was. Italy's RAI introduced them in the 70s for that reason, today
they are there because marketing and branding a channel seems to be

......more important than its programmes

(It's the heat)

... that messes up my Humax PVR.

I'm surprised, the way you enthuse about The Netherlands, I'd assumed
the entire country was 100% air conditioned (indoors and out ?)

--
Mark
Old July 7th 17, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/07/2017 10:06, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 09:37:50 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I'm surprised, the way you enthuse about The Netherlands, I'd assumed
the entire country was 100% air conditioned (indoors and out ?)

I'm not surprised that you thought something so stupid.

LOL, your sense of humour chip has failed again I see !

--
Mark
Old July 7th 17, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/07/2017 11:46, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 10:10:58 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

On 07/07/2017 10:06, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 7 Jul 2017 09:37:50 +0100, Mark Carver wrote:

I'm surprised, the way you enthuse about The Netherlands, I'd assumed
the entire country was 100% air conditioned (indoors and out ?)

I'm not surprised that you thought something so stupid.

LOL, your sense of humour chip has failed again I see !

Yours too. Why did you snip what I posted?

Because what I snipped is irrelevant to the point of yours I was
responding to

--
Mark
Old July 7th 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/07/2017 09:37, Mark Carver wrote:

(It's the heat)

... that messes up my Humax PVR.

I'm surprised, the way you enthuse about The Netherlands, I'd assumed
the entire country was 100% air conditioned (indoors and out ?)

Dutch engineers can do anything can't they Martin?

Old July 7th 17, 08:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

I'm surprised, the way you enthuse about The Netherlands, I'd assumed
the entire country was 100% air conditioned (indoors and out ?)

I'm not surprised that you thought something so stupid.

LOL, your sense of humour chip has failed again I see !

Yours too. Why did you snip what I posted?

Because what I snipped is irrelevant to the point of yours I was
responding to

That's the raison d'Ítre for snipping. So when people do it you can
assume that's most likely why.