Dropout on digital audio

Old July 1st 17, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Dropout on digital audio

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:46:40 +0100, Alan White

wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jun 2017 19:50:51 +0100, "NY" wrote:

In the DSat case, there are of course some UKTV channels
(eg Yesterday, Drama) that need a real Sky subscription...

Yesterday on Freesat 159 and Drama on Freesat 158 as I pointed out to
you in my post of 11th March. Have I missed something?

Only that it is 1st July and that people don't memorise every post.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Why would you need a sub for those as they are free on freeview. Seems a
bit strange.
Brian

Ah, things must have changed since I last investigated. I'm sure that when
we were thinking of moving to a house which had only repeater (not main
transmitter) coverage on Freeview, I looked at Freesat as an alternative for
the missing channels and found that almost everything was available except
Drama and Yesterday. Maybe I was wrong.

Old July 1st 17, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 12:56:05 +0100, "NY" wrote:

Maybe I was wrong.

Unlikely. They only appeared on Freesat earlier this year or late last
year.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old July 1st 17, 12:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Alan White" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 12:56:05 +0100, "NY" wrote:

Maybe I was wrong.

Unlikely. They only appeared on Freesat earlier this year or late last
year.

Ah. So I was right (though slightly out of date). Evidently UKTV aren't as
paranoid now about people outside the UK (who don't pay licence fee or Sky
subscription) seeing their channels.

Old July 1st 17, 04:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 01/07/2017 11:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
Why would you need a sub for those as they are free on freeview. Seems a bit
strange.

Not really. If they're on wide-beam satellite, then their viewing (for
rights reasons) needs to be restricted (in theory !) to the UK. So they
need to be encrypted. The only practical solution for that (in the UK)
is to use Sky's encryption system, VideoGuard. Of course Sky charge
broadcasters to use it. So often a deal is done, whereby the broadcaster
uses Sky's encryption, in return for Sky making the channel
part of its subscription package.

The other alternative is to be FTV status (as the Beeb and C4 were
in the early 00s) so all the viewer requires is an FTV Sky card, and the
cost of encryption is borne by the broadcaster.

--
Mark

Old July 1st 17, 09:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_3_]

On Sat, 1 Jul 2017 17:58:42 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

I do.

I now declare you...