Audio return channel

Old June 24th 17, 07:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Audio return channel

I have a Panasonic TX-55CX680B TV and Onkyo AV TX-SR252 receiver
connected via HDMI.

If I change the TV's volume with its remote control with the AV receiver
off, the on-screen display shows "Volume" with a sliding scale and
volume level number which changes, increasing or decreasing as the sound
level increases or decreases.

If I have the AV receiver on, and use its remote control to change its
volume, the AV receiver volume level number similarly increases or
decreases on its built-in display. However, nothing shows on the TV
display to signify the volume has changed.

However, if I use the TV's remote control to change the TV's volume with
the AV receiver on, the TV displays "Home cinema volume" with an arrow
pointing towards + or - (depending on whether I am increasing or
decreasing the volume), but no number appears on the TV screen to
indicate what the volume level is. Strangely, though, the AV receiver
display also changes and displays a number which changes with the volume
level.

Any idea if the "Home cinema volume" OSD wording which appears when ARC
is operating is generated by the TV when it senses ARC or is it
generated by the AV receiver? There is no mention of this wording in the
Onkyo manual or Panasonic manual, although the latter somewhat
ambiguously states "The displayed item may vary depending on the
connected equipment."

What do others see with OSD volume level changes with their TVs and AV
equipment?

--

Jeff
Old June 24th 17, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 08:12:07 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Not the same models, but I have a 50" Panny and an Onkyo AVR; ARC is off*. I
use the Humax HDR on Freesat about 99.9% of the time (Freeview v. rarely)
and the volume control on that shows the slider on screen.

The control on the AVR - not used - shows nothing on the screen, so it looks
like it's Onkyo.

*I don't use ARC as a) it doesnt seem to be of any use to me and b) it
causes a 15W increase in power in standby mode!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old June 25th 17, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

[...]

Not really answering your question, but when I adjust the volume of my
TV, I do not require my viewing pleasure to be interrupted by a
barometer graphic worthy of a church roof repair appeal.

I just want it to discreetly alter the volume.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old June 25th 17, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
I have a Panasonic TX-55CX680B TV and Onkyo AV TX-SR252 receiver
connected via HDMI.

I also have a Panasonic TV with an Onkyo receiver using ARC.

It behaves the same way as yours.

However, if I use the TV's remote control to change the TV's volume with
the AV receiver on, the TV displays "Home cinema volume" with an arrow
pointing towards + or - (depending on whether I am increasing or
decreasing the volume), but no number appears on the TV screen to
indicate what the volume level is. Strangely, though, the AV receiver
display also changes and displays a number which changes with the volume
level.

The HDMI protocol does provide a operation System Audio Mode Status
for the receiver to report its current volume to the TV, but
apparently either the Panasonic TV doesn't request or use it or the
Onkyo doesn't send it.

My TV also doesn't display anything indicating when the receiver is
muted, which is also reported in the same HDMI operation.

Any idea if the "Home cinema volume" OSD wording which appears when ARC
is operating is generated by the TV when it senses ARC or is it
generated by the AV receiver? There is no mention of this wording in the
Onkyo manual or Panasonic manual, although the latter somewhat
ambiguously states "The displayed item may vary depending on the
connected equipment."

I don't see anything in the HDMI spec allowing the receiver to
specify a message for use by the TV.

"Home Cinema" is the term used in the Panasonic manual. It appears
in the index and in the "Viera Link" Speaker control section it points
to, and the speaker selection menu (also shown in that section of the
manual) has a choice of "TV" and "Home Cinema".

-- Richard
Old June 27th 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 25/06/17 17:44, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

I had seen the info in the "Viera Link" section of the manual. I wonder
if there is something specific to Panasonic Home Cinema Systems (they
don't seem to do AVRs like the Onkyo) using Viera Link which would allow
a Panasonic TV to display the volume level as a figure when used with a
Panasonic HCS. It would have to be additional to the HDMI spec, but I
see no reason why it couldn't be done if Panasonic decided to do it. It
just seems strange that the Panasonic TV and Onkyo AVR can display the
volume level as number individually, but don't when connected to each
other. I wonder if Denon, Yamaha, etc AVRs behave the same way.

--

Jeff