I have to wait 30 minutes

Old June 23rd 17, 12:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default I have to wait 30 minutes

On 23/06/2017 10:18, NY wrote:
"Brian wrote in message
news
I tell you what will stuff it for me, if they install one of those
cap-char human detectors. I hate those. Even the ones with an audio option
are almost impossible to do. No wonder they call them a challenge. By now
we should be over all that crap. We should all have keyboards with a
finger print reader built in.

Those CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and
Humans Apart) things are a real pain. They distort the shapes of letters to
the point that they are difficult even for a human, never mind a computer,
to decypher. They also don't distinguish well enough between lower-case and
upper-case letters because the sizes of individual letters varies, and of
course some letters such as "C" and "V" are identical in shape, with only
the size relative to other letters allowing you to tell lower and upper case
apart.

CAPTCHAs which use real dictionary words are easier to solve than those
which use random letters because you get context which makes it easier to
separate letters which are deliberately crammed together, rotated or even
overlapping.

I have come across CAPTCHAs lately that are a set of squares
superimposed on a picture and I have to click on all squares that
contain road signs/shopfronts/cars/anything else that takes their fancy.

These are absolutely impossible for those with limited vision, and even
people who can see properly might miss something relevant but not obvious.

Old June 23rd 17, 01:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

When it works properly probably, which seems to be a long way off at the
moment. Surely the answer here is to have a link into the licence database
and just cros ref you. There is no 100 percent way to absolutely be sure
that you are who you say you are since every body these days uses multiple
devices logging in from all over the world to access the site.

"Dave W" wrote in message
news

"Phi" wrote in message
news
.....because I put the wrong password in twice whilst logging into BBC
iPlayer in new browser......what is the big security for, they don't want
licence number

I have not yet signed in because the popup says "You will soon have to
sign in", and gives the option "sign in later" which I have always
selected so far. When is it due to become mandatory?
--
Dave W

Old June 23rd 17, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Friday, 23 June 2017 12:31:08 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
Brian, that's highly discriminatory against people who type with mouth sticks. (smiley)

Mouth sticks?
Patient Operated Selector Mechanism. P.O.S.M. pronounced POSSUM

No, there are people who type with mouth sticks on a keyboard.

Owain

Old June 23rd 17, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
On Friday, 23 June 2017 12:31:08 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
Brian, that's highly discriminatory against people who type with mouth
sticks. (smiley)

Mouth sticks?
Patient Operated Selector Mechanism. P.O.S.M. pronounced POSSUM

No, there are people who type with mouth sticks on a keyboard.

I'd forgotten about those.

I remember seeing a report (no doubt narrated by Raymond Baxter or Derek
Cooper) on Tomorrow's World in the early 70s when POSM controls first became
available - showing all the different devices that a paraplegic person could
operate, although they didn't mention typewriters (as a precursor to
computers). I've always wondered: when you see Stephen Hawking being
interviewed and him replying in the well-known robotic voice, how long does
it take for him to type what he wants to say before the camera records it
being spoken at normal speed?

Old June 23rd 17, 04:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 16:06:55 +0100, "NY" wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I remember a typewriter. I certainly remember a qwerty display with a
few other functions like "light" on "open door" or suchlike. The
qwerty must have operated a typewriter or more likely a Creed 444

The word POSSUM has remained in my head from those TW reports.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old June 23rd 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 23/06/17 13:22, Indy Jess John wrote:

These are absolutely impossible for those with limited vision, and even
people who can see properly might miss something relevant but not obvious.

See
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2017AprJun/0203.html
(World Wide Web Consortium's Web Accessibility Initiative Interest Group
thread on the subject of: reCAPTCHA or noCAPTCHA_ accessibility)

Old June 23rd 17, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 23/06/2017 16:06, NY wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I've heard that he types at about three words a minute.

--
Max Demian
Old June 23rd 17, 06:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Huge" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 16:06:55 +0100, "NY" wrote:

[17 lines snipped]

I've always wondered: when you see Stephen Hawking being
interviewed and him replying in the well-known robotic voice, how long
does
it take for him to type what he wants to say before the camera records it
being spoken at normal speed?

A *long* time. When he's being interviewed, he gets the questions ahead of
time and composes the answers in advance.

I presumed so. Even someone typing at a fair speed wouldn't be able to match
the speed of speaking at a normal rate. You need multi-finger "chords", as
on a Palantype machine used by courts stenographers, to keep up with
speaking speed.

And I wonder how fast someone who is using sip/blow technology can select
characters to type? It's probably akin to those menus used when inputting
the wifi key to a printer, where you move a cursor forwards or backwards
over an alphabet and then select the desired letter when you've got there.

It must be insanely frustrating for him: he's got so much to say and it
takes so long for him to say it.

Old June 23rd 17, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 23/06/2017 13:22, Indy Jess John wrote:
I have come across CAPTCHAs lately that are a set of squares
superimposed on a picture and I have to click on all squares that
contain road signs/shopfronts/cars/anything else that takes their fancy.

These are absolutely impossible for those with limited vision, and even
people who can see properly might miss something relevant but not obvious.

I met one the other day that said
"What's 4+1 [place for answer] Clue: 5"

Andy