tv aerial masts

Old June 21st 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
DerbyBorn[_2_]

Default tv aerial masts

Broom handle
Old June 21st 17, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff

I think we would need much more details about your location to answer this
question.
What do the neighbours do? You can often get a good idea from that.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
read my posts! :-)
"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Old June 21st 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
charles[_2_]

In article , Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Martin Brown was thinking very hard :
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being
10m closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all.
Does need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the
way.

That is correct, it always amuses me to see satellite dishes mounted on
chimneys where it is completely unnecessary. My home dish is 8 foot off
the ground, my caravan's portable dish goes on the ground.

MY next door neighbour's dish is mounted high soi that it can see over my
house. When I had a dish (analogue days) it ws only 6 ft above ground - but
the hedge has grown and it would need to be higher now.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old June 21st 17, 06:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
alan_m

For reference 20 miles from transmitter right on the fringe of reception
decent log periodic in the loft pointing through the tiles gave good
quality digital reception.

Come rain or shine.

I'm also around 20 miles from a transmitter (Bluebell Hill) and a short
periodic in the loft followed by a lowish gain amp worked perfectly for
me for over a year. I decided to install it on my chimney when I had
the roof replaced and the scaffolding made access to the roof easy.

A log periodic of around a metre in length is ideal for fitting in a
loft where space for it a larger array may be a problem.

Old June 21st 17, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat

Fine if you only have one TV.

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

No, satellite IF distribution is easier than terrestrial.

Old June 21st 17, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_]

On 21/06/2017 16:25, charles wrote:

MY next door neighbour's dish is mounted high soi that it can see over my
house. When I had a dish (analogue days) it ws only 6 ft above ground - but
the hedge has grown and it would need to be higher now.

Or a lowered hedge...

--
Adam
Old June 21st 17, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2017 15:02, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Martin Brown was thinking very hard :
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being
10m closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all.
Does need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the
way.

That is correct, it always amuses me to see satellite dishes mounted on
chimneys where it is completely unnecessary.

Sometimes the height is necessary because of an obstruction that can't
be seen from the street.

Old June 21st 17, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
charles[_2_]

In article , ARW
wrote:
On 21/06/2017 16:25, charles wrote:

MY next door neighbour's dish is mounted high soi that it can see over
my house. When I had a dish (analogue days) it ws only 6 ft above
ground - but the hedge has grown and it would need to be higher now.

Or a lowered hedge...

but, it's not mine.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old June 21st 17, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_5_]

On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

If you still want Freeview rather than Freesat, I suggest that you seek
advice as to what aerial to get.

--
Michael Chare

---

Old June 22nd 17, 08:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

If he is into self messing about, a simply hand held aerial on a bit of
cable can be very instructive with a bit of patience at least in getting
anidea. I have found that if at low height you get nothing anywhere you will
probably be best getting ina pro to do a job outside, otherwise assuming
the direction is not through a row of terraces loft aerials can work. also
no mater what you you use as a post try to not point it through water tanks.
:-)

I use an old broom handle for mine.

news