tv aerial masts

Old June 21st 17, 01:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

Default tv aerial masts

On 21/06/17 12:36, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
A antenna in the loft will be much worse than one outside, especially
when the roof is wet.

That is why TV signals disappear completely when there is rainstorm you
cant see through between you and te transmitter. I mean if a one mm film
of water can stop radio waves think how much woerse 20 miles of air full
of rain can..

Wottaprat.

For reference 20 miles from transmitter right on the fringe of reception
decent log periodic in the loft pointing through the tiles gave good
quality digital reception.

Come rain or shine.

Unless you have local interference, or 'gaps' (*) a log-periodic
aeriel is not as good as a bog standard 18 element job. Just don't
bother with a 'digital' aeriel because there is no such thing.

(*) Midhurst is group C/D but apparently will also at some point
broadcast using a frequency that a group C/D aeriel won't pick
up without an aeriel upgrade.
Old June 21st 17, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_6_]

On 21/06/2017 12:53, Bill Wright wrote:
On 21/06/2017 12:05, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

1. Try a loft aerial. First read this
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...sat-201007.pdf

'FM proposed switch-off for 2015'

Phew, not yet.

Old June 21st 17, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

Fine if you only have one TV.

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 21st 17, 01:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

The Natural Philosopher wrote :
That is why TV signals disappear completely when there is rainstorm you cant
see through between you and te transmitter. I mean if a one mm film of water
can stop radio waves think how much woerse 20 miles of air full of rain can..

Wottaprat.

Time of the month, or your age?

There is a big difference between a complete film of water (or snow)
and raindrops UHF can get around raindrops - though reception does
certainly degrade. Our transmitter a similar distance away, 20 miles.
When I first moved in here, I installed a loft antenna which proved to
be just marginal until it rained - then no reception. Once on the
chimney we had solid reception irrespective of weather - at least until
the coax broke down out in the weather. Which was why I went to the
trouble of finding a route down through the house.

I have a satellite system in the caravan with a rather too small dish
for portability, the reception of that can be seriously degraded by
thick rain bearing clouds.

How about an apology?
Old June 21st 17, 02:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Harry Bloomfield[_2_]

Martin Brown was thinking very hard :
These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat rather
than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is dodgy. No point
in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m closer to a
geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does need a clear line of
sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

That is correct, it always amuses me to see satellite dishes mounted on
chimneys where it is completely unnecessary. My home dish is 8 foot off
the ground, my caravan's portable dish goes on the ground.
Old June 21st 17, 02:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:

These days unless you are really keen on Dave I would go for Freesat
rather than faff about with TDTV - especially if the local signal is
dodgy. No point in putting a satellite dish high on the roof - being 10m
closer to a geostationary satellite makes no difference at all. Does
need a clear line of sight though - no trees or buildings in the way.

Fine if you only have one TV.

Default dish LNB has (at least) four outputs these days and satellite
decoders are cheap - admittedly very few TVs are Freesat ready.

Most will have a few these days - and probably a PVR too.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old June 21st 17, 02:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Stephen Wrote in message:
Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Considering that my signal may already be weak, is it worth trying to
DIY an aerial in the loft, or should I just pay someone to fit an
external one?

If going along the diy route, should I buy an aluminium or steel pole?
I don't suppose it makes much difference to a short section inside a
loft? What are the pros and cons of the different metals outdoors?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Steel rusts?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old June 21st 17, 02:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz

On 21/06/17 13:38, [email protected] wrote:

Consider freesat.

I'm near to just considering just broadband ...

--
Adrian C
Old June 21st 17, 02:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Woody[_5_]

"Terry Casey" wrote in message
lid says...

Hello,

I am some distance from the tv transmitter, so I may need a
masthead
amp. I can get into the loft to install an aerial but I'm not brave
enough to go on the outside and put an aerial at height.

Have you looked at the surrounding properties?

Do they all have masthead amps fitted?

If you can see several without external aerials it might
indicate that a loft aerial might be ok.

As has already been said, it won't take long to pop up to
loft with an aerial to see if it will work.

Java Jive's calculator can be handy:

http://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/Audi...TerrestrialTV/
TerrestrialCalculator.shtml

If you go to the maps at the bottom after completing your
query, you can move the marker to your house and see exactly
which way your aerial should be pointing.

If your loft aerial seems to work ok, bear in mind that rain
can affect the signal level received. If you can find a 6dB
pad and insert it into the feed to the TV's input, it will
give you a reasonable indication of how much margin your
installation has (or not, as the case may be!)

Under really bad conditions - not just rainand snow but tropospheric -
a signal can fade as much as 26dB, at least when we did 450MHz links
that was always the planning margin.

I would look for at least a 12dB or preferably an 18db attenuator to
make sure.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old June 21st 17, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_7_]

You say "concidering my signal may be weak".
Does that mean that you have an existing aerial that's unsatisfactory? Can you give us the details?

__
Graham.
%Profound_observation%