The coming strife

Old June 20th 17, 10:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
newshound[_3_]

Default The coming strife

On 6/19/2017 3:37 PM, Richard wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 6/19/2017 11:52 AM, Bill Wright wrote:
This morning we are given the news that someone has driven a van into
a crowd of people outside a Mosque, killing one and injuring many.

For some time now I've feared that the UK is heading for a period of
sectarian warfare, similar in some ways to the situation that
prevailed in Northern Ireland in the 60s and 70s.

The lesson of history is that when two identifiable communities share
the same land there's a good chance of strife. The reasons are a
mystery but it could be that the innate tribalism of the species is
at least partly responsible. In the case of Northern Ireland the
cultural differences between the communities were small; but in the
case of the UK now the cultural differences are very large, with one
community happily accepting behaviours that the other one condemns.

The troubles of the 60s started when a few people on one side started
a series of relatively small attacks on the other side. You might
want to categorise those people as 'hotheads' or 'psychopaths' or
'terrorists' or 'freedom fighters'. Take your pick; it doesn't matter.

What matters is that the other side retaliated. Then the whole thing
escalated until there were large scale indiscriminate attacks.

In the UK at present the Muslim community is about 3% of the total.
The demographics show that the figure will rise to something between
20 and 40% during the next fifty years. If the (tiny) proportion of
all UK Muslims who are waging war on the rest of society remains the
same then there will be more and more attacks. It seems certain that
a (tiny) proportion of the indigenous population will retaliate.

I fear that we might be approaching a very unhappy period of our
nation's history.

Bill

Don't believe your demographics figure. I bet it comes from a very
dubious source.

Well, I did a quick search for you and made sure that no "right wing"
source was being quoted. This paints a (depressing, from my point of
view) picture which may help you and it's quite old:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/03/race.world

Quote from this article (2000)

In Britain, that is almost certain to happen in London, and in the
relatively near future. 'At the moment ethnic minorities are about 40
per cent in London. The demographics show that white people in London
will become a minority by 2010,' said Jasper.

Here we are in 2017, I have heard a figure that claims the current
London figure is about one third, but I rather doubt that this applies
all the way out to the M25.
Old June 20th 17, 10:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Richard[_6_]

o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

OK
https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/2...on-projections

But the future is not white.

Old June 20th 17, 11:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker[_4_]

o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

Whether it is white or not matters much less than whether it is
Christian or Aethiest with a broadly Christian background or another
religion. Colour is of much less importance than culture.

SteveW
Old June 20th 17, 11:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 20/06/2017 22:30, Richard wrote:
o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

Religion doesn’t matter much when so few are religious anymore.

Old June 20th 17, 11:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker[_4_]

On 20/06/2017 23:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 20/06/2017 22:30, Richard wrote:
o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

That's why I said "Aethiest with a broadly Christian background." The
overall culture of the country has been shaped over hundreds of years by
Christianity and despite the country becoming less religious, those who
have no belief are still shaped greatly by that history and to a great
extent, form a common culture.

SteveW
Old June 20th 17, 11:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 20/06/2017 23:10, Rod Speed wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 20/06/2017 22:30, Richard wrote:
o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

That’s very arguable.

and despite the country becoming less religious,

Its far from clear how religious it once was.

those who have no belief are still shaped greatly by that history and to a
great extent, form a common culture.

That last is very arguable indeed.

Old June 21st 17, 04:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2017 23:10, Rod Speed wrote:

Religion doesn’t matter much when so few are religious anymore.

Many more are spiritual than religious.

Old June 21st 17, 04:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

Bill Wright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Religion doesn’t matter much when so few are religious anymore.

Many more are spiritual than religious.

Sure, but those don’t matter so much because they mostly
just believe in some silly **** and hardly ever try to convince
anyone else about the silly **** they believe in and certainly
don’t usually kill others who believe in some other silly ****.

Old June 21st 17, 07:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Richard[_6_]

"Steve Walker" wrote in message news

On 20/06/2017 22:30, Richard wrote:
o.uk...

"newshound" wrote in message
[...]

It all matters, given circumstances.
If an extra-terrestrial threat actually did occur, all religious and ethnic
barriers would come down in an attempt to jointly overcome the threat. Of
course, every faction would attempt to ensure priority of self in the long
term.

Old June 21st 17, 09:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
newshound[_3_]

On 6/20/2017 10:30 PM, Richard wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message

Quote from this article (2000)

In Britain, that is almost certain to happen in London, and in the
relatively near future. 'At the moment ethnic minorities are about 40
per cent in London. The demographics show that white people in London
will become a minority by 2010,' said Jasper.

Here we are in 2017, I have heard a figure that claims the current
London figure is about one third, but I rather doubt that this applies
all the way out to the M25.

OK
https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/2...on-projections

But the future is not white.

I refer you to the classic scene in "Shaft" between Richard Rowntree and
Charles Cioffi