The coming strife

Old June 22nd 17, 09:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

Default The coming strife

Bill Wright wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bill Wright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I think you're confusing 'spiritual' with 'supernatural'.

You're wrong. Try a dictionary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

which says, "There is no single, widely
agreed definition of spirituality."

So your original 'thought' is just plain wrong.

And it goes on to say that its basically just
mindless silly ****, as I originally said.

A logical error on your part.

Nope.

The fact that there is no single, widely agreed definition
of spirituality doesn't prevent you from confusing your
interpretation of the word with belief in the supernatural.

I havent confused anything. You need a dictionary.
Old June 22nd 17, 09:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

"Richard" wrote in message
news
"Mark" wrote in message

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 07:06:29 +0100, "Richard"
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message news
On 20/06/2017 22:30, Richard wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 6/19/2017 3:37 PM, Richard wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 6/19/2017 11:52 AM, Bill Wright wrote:
This morning we are given the news that someone has driven a van
into
a crowd of people outside a Mosque, killing one and injuring many.

For some time now I've feared that the UK is heading for a period
of
sectarian warfare, similar in some ways to the situation that
prevailed in Northern Ireland in the 60s and 70s.

The lesson of history is that when two identifiable communities
share
the same land there's a good chance of strife. The reasons are a
mystery but it could be that the innate tribalism of the species
is
at least partly responsible. In the case of Northern Ireland the
cultural differences between the communities were small; but in
the
case of the UK now the cultural differences are very large, with
one
community happily accepting behaviours that the other one
condemns.

The troubles of the 60s started when a few people on one side
started
a series of relatively small attacks on the other side. You might
want to categorise those people as 'hotheads' or 'psychopaths' or
'terrorists' or 'freedom fighters'. Take your pick; it doesn't
matter.

What matters is that the other side retaliated. Then the whole
thing
escalated until there were large scale indiscriminate attacks.

In the UK at present the Muslim community is about 3% of the
total.
The demographics show that the figure will rise to something
between
20 and 40% during the next fifty years. If the (tiny) proportion
of
all UK Muslims who are waging war on the rest of society remains
the
same then there will be more and more attacks. It seems certain
that
a (tiny) proportion of the indigenous population will retaliate.

I fear that we might be approaching a very unhappy period of our
nation's history.

Bill

Don't believe your demographics figure. I bet it comes from a very
dubious source.

Well, I did a quick search for you and made sure that no "right
wing"
source was being quoted. This paints a (depressing, from my point of
view) picture which may help you and it's quite old:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/sep/03/race.world

Quote from this article (2000)

In Britain, that is almost certain to happen in London, and in the
relatively near future. 'At the moment ethnic minorities are about 40
per cent in London. The demographics show that white people in London
will become a minority by 2010,' said Jasper.

Here we are in 2017, I have heard a figure that claims the current
London figure is about one third, but I rather doubt that this
applies
all the way out to the M25.

OK
https://data.london.gov.uk/dataset/2...on-projections
But the future is not white.

Whether it is white or not matters much less than whether it is
Christian
or Aethiest with a broadly Christian background or another religion.
Colour
is of much less importance than culture.

It all matters, given circumstances.
If an extra-terrestrial threat actually did occur, all religious and
ethnic
barriers would come down in an attempt to jointly overcome the threat. Of
course, every faction would attempt to ensure priority of self in the
long
term.

Ain't gonna happen. The probability that an alien specious that
exists now, and lives close enough to travel to the Earth is
negligable.

So, having ruled out the common enemy of mankind we will continue as we
have done for millennia.

Islam is the religion allegedly followed by the enemies of my culture.

No evidence of any 'culture'

It is that threat which I and others face.

Your problem, as always.

YMMV.

It does.

Old June 22nd 17, 11:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2017 11:47, Mark wrote:

Now that is a gross generalisation (and completely wrong). Some
so-called "spiritual people" commit terrorist acts and what could be
more abusive than that?

They aren't spiritual, they're religious.

Old June 22nd 17, 11:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/06/2017 18:56, Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 13:35:48 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I think you're confusing 'spiritual' with 'supernatural'.

You're wrong. Try a dictionary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

which says, "There is no single, widely agreed definition of
spirituality."

So your original 'thought' is just plain wrong.

And it goes on to say that its basically just mindless silly ****, as I
originally said.

A logical error on your part. The fact that there is no single, widely
agreed definition of
spirituality doesn't prevent you from confusing your interpretation of
the word with belief in the supernatural.

Here's one of the definitions given in my copy of the OED -

"5. Concerned with spirits or supernatural beings. M19."

Rod.

Yes that's one...

Old June 23rd 17, 06:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 00:56:59 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I think you're confusing 'spiritual' with 'supernatural'.

You're wrong. Try a dictionary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

which says, "There is no single, widely agreed definition of
spirituality."

So your original 'thought' is just plain wrong.

And it goes on to say that its basically just mindless silly ****, as I
originally said.

A logical error on your part. The fact that there is no single, widely
agreed definition of
spirituality doesn't prevent you from confusing your interpretation of
the word with belief in the supernatural.

Here's one of the definitions given in my copy of the OED -

"5. Concerned with spirits or supernatural beings. M19."

Rod.

Yes that's one...

So, if they both mean supernatural, where's the confusion?

Old June 23rd 17, 06:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

On 23/06/17 00:33, Bill Wright wrote:
On 22/06/2017 11:47, Mark wrote:

Now that is a gross generalisation (and completely wrong). Some
so-called "spiritual people" commit terrorist acts and what could be
more abusive than that?

They aren't spiritual, they're religious.

Bill

Yep. A working definition of spiritual is that one regards the world of
te senses and seeming materiality as 'not all there is'.

Quantum physics is in a sense a form of spirituality.

Religious people believe they know what it is, howevere, and that this
gives them the right etc etc.

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!

Old June 23rd 17, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 07:39:22 +0100, Bob Latham
wrote:

I don't know if there is a God, seems pretty far fetched to me.

I've learnt to live with the fact I don't know.

Yep, so did Feynman, and he wasn't daft. Good enough for me.

"I'm not frightened of not knowing things", he said, but at the same
time he didn't let this stop him striving to find out.

And when he said "Nature cannot be fooled", I don't think he intended
"nature" to be anything other than a figure of speech, rather than an
actual entity. We can't avoid giving things names just to be able to
talk about them, because that's how our language works, but giving
something a name can mentally make it into a thing, and therein lies
the danger of assuming imaginary things to be real.