The Terminator - I'll not be back

Old June 19th 17, 10:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dan[_3_]

Default The Terminator - I'll not be back

I recently signed up with Virgin Media for 100Mb broadband, taking phone &
their freeview TV package. I duly cancelled the lot after finding I was in
an oversold area making the broadband unusable at peak times.

Anyway, they sent me a box to return their kit which had a note giving
instructions on how to unplug it all etc.
At the end it said IMPORTANT! pull (not unscrew) the cable from the wall
box & put in the terminator we have sent you. There was indeed a terminator
rattling around in the box.

So is it that important? Will the street cabinet burst into flames if I
don't fit it?

YR
Old June 19th 17, 10:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 19/06/2017 23:07, Dan wrote:

So is it that important? Will the street cabinet burst into flames if I
don't fit it?

Your service was poor probably because someone else hadn't fitted the
terminating load to the end of their cable.

If no longer a Virgin customer do you care what happens? At worst all
that can happen is that other local virgin customers may get a degraded
service.

Old June 20th 17, 06:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dan[_3_]

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 23:48:30 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Your service was poor probably because someone else hadn't fitted the
terminating load to the end of their cable.

No, it was overutilization, they only reveal this after you've signed up. A
lot of areas are affected.
Old June 20th 17, 06:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Dan wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 23:48:30 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Your service was poor probably because someone else hadn't fitted the
terminating load to the end of their cable.

No, it was overutilization, they only reveal this after you've signed up. A
lot of areas are affected.

As an aside, if you give up a land line when transferring over to Virgin,
and then Virgin turns out to be pants, do you (or they) have to pay a
reconnection fee?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old June 20th 17, 08:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

They have been pestering me to take tv recently I pointed out that when
they had a box that blind people could use I'd re evaluate the situation but
while they continue to ignore the equality act 2010 access to goods and
services, they can keep their silly door stop boxes.

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
t...
In article ,

says...
So is it that important? Will the street cabinet burst into flames if I
don't fit it?

Why on earth would you even consider not fitting it?

Circuits work best when correctly terminated.
The terminator will probably allow Virgin's kit to determine if the
circuit is currently in use and to test the line in a known condition.

You moan about the poor service, how about keeping your end of the
bargain up by using the equipment correctly?

Old June 20th 17, 08:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 20/06/2017 09:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

They have been pestering me to take tv recently

Why do all of these companies believe everyone is into football, rugby,
cricket etc. when sending mountains of junk snail mail trying to get a
sign up to their TV services?

I keep getting offers giving me 75% off for 12 months for sports
channels and at a cost of around £100.

I look at these and think to myself I rather keep the £100 this year and
the £400 in subsequent years because I have zero interest in the sport
TV channels they are pushing.

Old June 20th 17, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 08:24:07 +0100, UnsteadyKen
wrote:

So is it that important? Will the street cabinet burst into flames if I
don't fit it?

Why on earth would you even consider not fitting it?

Circuits work best when correctly terminated.
The terminator will probably allow Virgin's kit to determine if the
circuit is currently in use and to test the line in a known condition.

You moan about the poor service, how about keeping your end of the
bargain up by using the equipment correctly?

He says he's cancelled the service, so it's not his equipment, he's no
longer using it, and there is no longer a bargain to keep his end of.

If anything about the cable to his house is a problem for VM, they can
easily disconnect it at the street cabinet.

Old June 20th 17, 11:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dan[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 06:45:09 -0000 (UTC), Tim+ wrote:

As an aside, if you give up a land line when transferring over to Virgin,
and then Virgin turns out to be pants, do you (or they) have to pay a
reconnection fee?

Possibly, but I kept my Openreach/Sky Landline & BB, the contract runs to
October. I took the phone & TV purely because it was 75p cheaper per month
& had an extra 100 cashback. I was going to transfer my number to VOIP
when the Sky contract eneded.

No doubt people who have made the switch fully are indeed trapped. It's
staggering that the are allowed to sell in these situations.