The Terminator - I'll not be back

Old June 20th 17, 12:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dan[_3_]

Default The Terminator - I'll not be back

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 08:24:07 +0100, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Why on earth would you even consider not fitting it?

Sorry, I seem to have missed the part of my OP where I said was considering
not fitting it.

I was merely asking why it was required, oh yes you gave a sensible &
concise answer, bookended by ranting nonsense:

Circuits work best when correctly terminated.
The terminator will probably allow Virgin's kit to determine if the
circuit is currently in use and to test the line in a known condition.

You moan about the poor service, how about keeping your end of the
bargain up by using the equipment correctly?

Eh?

Does anyone remember the good old days of usenet when you could have
sensible, friendly discussions without people going off on pointless rants?
Old June 20th 17, 04:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:22:03 +0100, Dan wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 08:24:07 +0100, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Why on earth would you even consider not fitting it?

Sorry, I seem to have missed the part of my OP where I said was considering
not fitting it.

I was merely asking why it was required, oh yes you gave a sensible &
concise answer, bookended by ranting nonsense:

Circuits work best when correctly terminated.
The terminator will probably allow Virgin's kit to determine if the
circuit is currently in use and to test the line in a known condition.

You moan about the poor service, how about keeping your end of the
bargain up by using the equipment correctly?

Eh?

Does anyone remember the good old days of usenet when you could have
sensible, friendly discussions without people going off on pointless rants?

No, that never happened on Usenet.
Anyway you were only postulating what would happen, you didn't say you
weren't going to fit it.

Alan_m on the other hand, did seem to suggest he wouldn't have fitted
the terminator. Tut tut. Hope he doesn't remove the cap on his gas
main should he dispense with that service ;-)

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old June 20th 17, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

Graham. wrote:
[...]

I think what Virgin meant to say, but failed to due to over simplification,
is that you need to fit the terminator if you still have another service
from them. It is possible to have TV in one room and a cable modem in
another. In that case there is usually a splitter in the brown box on the
outside of the house. If, say, you got rid of the cable modem but kept the
TV, you would need to terminate the cable modem outlet otherwise the
splitter may become influenced by the reflections and thus degrade the
signal to the TV box. If you got rid of all of their services I very much
doubt that they would care at all. The active amplifier/splitter in the
street box needs to be able to cope with any type of load on any of its
ports. Otherwise one malicious customer could destroy the signals to all
the other customers. Malicious customers can (or perhaps could, this may be
cured now with properly authenticated cable modems) suck up all the
broadband bandwidth with a suitably modified uncapped cable modem. A
colleague had a problem with sudden loss of performance at random times,
and came across a Virgin van in the area and the technician said they were
trying to trace the uncapped modem.

Old June 20th 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dan[_3_]

On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:39:02 +0100, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Yes I do. "The sensible friendly discussions" have been displaced by
persons such as yourself who think it a Facebook substitute and that it
is acceptable to post off topic stuff rather than go to the bother of
subscribing to the correct group.

A few points.

I've been on Usenet since 1994, when you had to dial up & I did it on a
Commodore Amiga.

Virgin Media provide a Digital TV service that comes down the same cable
that is to be terminated, so a digital tv NG seems appropriate

I never have & never will use ****ing Facebook, in fact I doubt 99% of
Facebook users would know what usenet is.

Anyway, bored now, feel free to carry on alone. Bye.
Old June 20th 17, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article ,
says...

Sorry, I seem to have missed the part of my OP where I said was considering
not fitting it.

I was merely asking why it was required, oh yes you gave a sensible &
concise answer, bookended by ranting nonsense:

The reason it is required is simple: the band of signals
coming into your house is split. The majority forms the
downsream for all the TV muxes and the internet and it is
easy to provide plenty of isolation to prevent
interferaction with other customers' feeds.

The remainder is for the upstream and is used by your modem
to comunicate with the router in the headend or hub. All
page requests and emails are sent using it and anything else
you upload, whether it be pictures, mp3 file, VOIP of video.

All of these upstream feeds are combined to feed the input
of the router and any external interference entering an
unterminated feed can severely degrade the service for
everybody by making it difficult for them to communicate
with the internet.

Effectively your unterminated feed will become a receiving
aerial, injecting local interference, short wave radio, baby
alarms, etc. into the network.

A number of unterminated feeds can severely escalate this
problem bery quickly so yes, that terminator is very
important.

When I worked for ntl I was part of a small team that went
round the country 'resegmenting' the network into
progressively smaller groups of subscribers as the internet
traffic grew. We monitored the growth of traffic very
closely and never allowed the situation to get out of hand -
as has obviously happened in your case.

No doubt Telewest had a similar mechanism in place and the
combined ntl/Telewest company: Virgin should be continuing
to keep pace with increasing demand.

--

Terry
Old June 20th 17, 07:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tweed[_3_]

Effectively your unterminated feed will become a receiving
aerial, injecting local interference, short wave radio, baby
alarms, etc. into the network.

How does an unterminated coax act as an antenna?

Old June 20th 17, 08:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/06/2017 18:49, Terry Casey wrote:

Effectively your unterminated feed will become a receiving
aerial, injecting local interference, short wave radio, baby
alarms, etc. into the network.

How does it do that? An open circuit co-axial end might pick up RF on
the screen, but it wouldn't transfer to the inner core very efficiently.

Old June 20th 17, 09:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article ,
says...

Effectively your unterminated feed will become a receiving
aerial, injecting local interference, short wave radio, baby
alarms, etc. into the network.

How does an unterminated coax act as an antenna?

Probably needs a better brain than mine to give a detailed
explanation but I've noticed this: "a transmission line with
a high SWR tends to act as an antenna, radiating
electromagnetic energy away from the line, rather than
channeling all of it to the load" in:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/alternating-
current/chpt-14/standing-waves-and-resonance/

Except for the signal direction, there is no intrinsic
difference between transmitting and receiving antennae.

Monitoring the return path feed in a CATV headend with a
suitable receiver can be very enlightening to anybody who
doubts this ...

--

Terry