Help needed with smart TV

Old June 18th 17, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

Default Help needed with smart TV

Just bought a Samsung 49KU6470 smart TV, which seems to work pretty
well, and the picture and sound are quite good. But there are a couple
of issues which I can't get my head around.

1. Voice commands. My set understands voice commands but the manual -
even the downloaded one, let along the quick start guide which came with
the set - only has very cursory information. Nowhere can I find a list
of commands which it is supposed to understand. I've found that if Dr
Who is on another channel and I say "Dr Who" it will switch to that
channel. I know that if I swear at it, it says "Please don't talk to me
like that" or somesuch. But I've no idea what I can and can't say.
Anyone know where I can find a definitive list?

2. Recording programmes. I have connected a USB hard drive to one of the
USB ports on the TV, and this seems to work ok for pausing live TV. But
I've not had any success in trying to get it to make a scheduled
recording. I'm probably being unreasonable in my expectations, but again
the manual is pretty useless. I have a Humax PVR which can do recordings
ok, so I don't *need* the TV to be able to do it, but it may be useful
on occasions. A few questions:
1) Does the set need to be ON to make a scheduled recording, or can it
do it while standby?
2) Does the set need to be manually switched to the channel you want to
record, or will it switch channels automatically?
3) Will the USB port to which the hard drive is attached be powered
during a scheduled recording, even if the set is on standby? [If not,
mine won't work because the drive is powered by the port!]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old June 19th 17, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 17:14:22 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

Just bought a Samsung 49KU6470 smart TV, which seems to work pretty
well, and the picture and sound are quite good. But there are a couple
of issues which I can't get my head around.

1. Voice commands. My set understands voice commands but the manual -
even the downloaded one, let along the quick start guide which came with
the set - only has very cursory information. Nowhere can I find a list
of commands which it is supposed to understand. I've found that if Dr
Who is on another channel and I say "Dr Who" it will switch to that
channel. I know that if I swear at it, it says "Please don't talk to me
like that" or somesuch. But I've no idea what I can and can't say.
Anyone know where I can find a definitive list?

I'd like to know how on earth it copes with on-air material in which
programme names are spoken. Does it ignore its own voice, so to speak?
I got one of those Amazon voice-operated gadgets (just out of
curiosity when they brought the price down one weekend) and it
sometimes does respond to things on TV. When it's happened with a
recorded programme, I've sometimes spooled back and played it again
and noted that it didn't respond a second time, so apparently it can
learn to ignore stuff that's irrelevant. I don't suppose it will ever
be perfect though; even people can mishear things sometimes.

And as you've found out, to make full use of any voice-operated
gadget, you have to learn all the various commands that it's possible
to give it, and the proper syntax. It's almost like going back to
command-line computing again, like DOS but having to speak the
commands instead of typing them. I don't think I care much for it
myself, but it's impressive what marketing can do, as these gadgets
appear to be popular. I wonder how successful a computer operating
system called "Voice-DOS" would be? I envisage a black screen with a
little flashing microphone symbol in the top left corner...

Old June 19th 17, 05:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
UnsteadyKen[_6_]

In article ,
says...
Anyone know where I can find a definitive list?

Does anything happen when you say "View commands" or "Help" to the TV?