Labgear Distribution Amp

Old June 4th 17, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob Brewer

Default Labgear Distribution Amp

Hi

I have been repairing a Labgear MSA282 distribution amp (replaced faulty PSU
Cap) and I noticed there are a couple of jumpers which seem to be associated
with the VHF input connector. They are marked "Wideband" and "VHF".

I intend to use this amp with a combined VHF/DAB aerial but I'm not sure
which is the best position for these jumpers. Does anyone know what the
jumpers are for and which position is the best one for VHF/DAB.

Thanks

Rob
Old June 4th 17, 02:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 04/06/2017 11:16, Rob Brewer wrote:
Hi

I have been repairing a Labgear MSA282 distribution amp (replaced faulty PSU
Cap) and I noticed there are a couple of jumpers which seem to be associated
with the VHF input connector. They are marked "Wideband" and "VHF".

I intend to use this amp with a combined VHF/DAB aerial but I'm not sure
which is the best position for these jumpers. Does anyone know what the
jumpers are for and which position is the best one for VHF/DAB.

Thanks

Rob

I found some installation instructions online and from the specification
box I read:
FM DAB 88-230 MHZ
VHF EIR version 40-270 MHz

It means nothing to me, but it might mean something to you.

Old June 4th 17, 03:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob Brewer

Indy Jess John wrote:

On 04/06/2017 11:16, Rob Brewer wrote:
Hi

I have been repairing a Labgear MSA282 distribution amp (replaced faulty
PSU Cap) and I noticed there are a couple of jumpers which seem to be
associated with the VHF input connector. They are marked "Wideband" and
"VHF".

I intend to use this amp with a combined VHF/DAB aerial but I'm not sure
which is the best position for these jumpers. Does anyone know what the
jumpers are for and which position is the best one for VHF/DAB.

Thanks

Rob

I found some installation instructions online and from the specification
box I read:
FM DAB 88-230 MHZ
VHF EIR version 40-270 MHz

It means nothing to me, but it might mean something to you.

I just checked again and what I thought was the "VHF" position is actually
titled "FM only" but I don't know if this means 88-108 MHz or it includes
the DAB frequencies up to 230 MHz.

There aren't any markings to show what frequency range "Wideband" refers to.

Rob
Old June 4th 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 04/06/2017 16:55, Rob Brewer wrote:
Indy Jess John wrote:

I found some installation instructions online and from the specification
box I read:
FM DAB 88-230 MHZ
VHF EIR version 40-270 MHz

It means nothing to me, but it might mean something to you.

I just checked again and what I thought was the "VHF" position is actually
titled "FM only" but I don't know if this means 88-108 MHz or it includes
the DAB frequencies up to 230 MHz.

There aren't any markings to show what frequency range "Wideband" refers to.

Rob

It looks like trial and error then.
Try it in the FM position and see if you can receive DAB.
If you can't, then try wideband.

Old June 4th 17, 06:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob Brewer

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd suggest wideband is just that, no filters at all so possibility of out
of band overload and cross mod.
Brian

May well be. Its odd that it isn't documented anywhere but I'll try in the
default "FM Only" position and see what happens. Its not easy to change the
setting though as it will be in the attic and I need strip it down to get at
the jumpers.

Thanks for the help

Rob
Old June 4th 17, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Indy Jess John wrote:

I found some installation instructions online and from the specification
box I read:
FM DAB 88-230 MHZ
VHF EIR version 40-270 MHz

It means nothing to me, but it might mean something to you.

I just checked again and what I thought was the "VHF" position is
actually
titled "FM only" but I don't know if this means 88-108 MHz or it includes
the DAB frequencies up to 230 MHz.

There aren't any markings to show what frequency range "Wideband" refers
to.

Rob

It looks like trial and error then.
Try it in the FM position and see if you can receive DAB.
If you can't, then try wideband.

Isn't DAB on what used to be band III?

The Americans call that; VHF high band, all the ITV channels in my area.

Old June 12th 17, 08:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob Brewer

Rob Brewer wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'd suggest wideband is just that, no filters at all so possibility of
out of band overload and cross mod.
Brian

May well be. Its odd that it isn't documented anywhere but I'll try in the
default "FM Only" position and see what happens. Its not easy to change
the setting though as it will be in the attic and I need strip it down to
get at the jumpers.

Well after some experimentation the jumpers needed to be in the "wideband"
position to enable DAB.

Pity this isn't documented anywhere but hopefully this will help other
people who are trying to use DAB with the Labgear MSA282 distribution
amplifier.

Rob