Freesat?

Old June 2nd 17, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Freesat?

tim... wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:
"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in
message news I know very little about TV and watch very little of it. Wife has
it on 24/7.
We have had SKY for many many years.
The wife has just come back from a few days away in a holiday
cottage and was very impressed with the Freesat. She wants me to
look into it :-( So, here I go.
Is it all really free?

It's really free (except for the cost of the box/dish)

Do we really get all of these channels free? Not interested in On
Demand.
http://cdn.freesat.co.uk/freesat/fre...201%202017.pdf
If Freesat really is this good, why doesn't everybody have it
instead of SKY?

because you need a dish on the side of your house

Or Sky customers are just complacent, like us.

The previous occupant of my flat had Sky

As a 20 something girly, I doubt that she had any interest in the
Sports channels

and she had no kids so didn't want to supplement with extra Kids
stuff that is a bit sparse on FS

I've always wondered what she saw the need to pay 40 quid a month for

We were the first in our old street to get Sky, this must be about 26
years ago. Figure from the top of my head.

I did enjoy winding up the guy over the road with my Sky dish :-)

We had to pay for the installation. The guy did it and we both stood there
watching sparkles flash across the screen of the 22" quite posh telly. I
found out that sparkles should not have been there and made the plonker come
back and adjust the dish. It was a Pace Sky box.
In those days I was very capable of setting up a VCR, these days I don't
even know how to pause a program on Sky - thus I'm asking the questions
about Freesat.

Old June 2nd 17, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

One simple fact of Satellite that hasn't been mentioned and maybe needs
stressing is that a sky box receives exactly the same transmission as a
Freesat one. There are sky channels that are paid for, but these are on
the same satellites that the 'free' ones are! There are no sky
satellites, it's just another way of receiving what's transmitted. In
fact the satellites are not owned by the broadcasters, they pay to rent
space.

If you get a good selection with your existing sky installed dish so you
will with a Freesat Set Top Box or PVR.

Your description of the 'two cables split out of the one from the dish'
suggests the usual 'shotgun' cable. Figure of 8 shaped, it's just two
cables stuck together. Easier to run and looks better than two cables
run along the wall.
Old June 2nd 17, 06:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

A little more explanation.

There is a cluster of satellites collectively named Astra sitting
about 22700 miles above the equator (so they are geostationary) and
28.2deg east of the meridian, so they are known collectively as Astra
28.2E. Even though they are each 100 miles or so apart they are all
within the beamwidth (i.e. reception angle) of a satellite dish in the
UK.

The basic channels - BBC, ITV, Ch4 and five - are all radiated from
Astra 2F which has a very narrow footprint aimed at the UK. Time was
that if you lived north of the A69 (ish) you needed a Sky Zone 2 dish
(equivalent to a 55cm ovoid dish) but since the move to 2F a few years
ago the signal level has increased so much that a zone 1 dish (approx
43cm ovoid) will work anywhere. Sky subscription channels largely come
from Astra 2A which is higher power and covers much of western
Europe - indeed Sky Eire is transmitted from it.

You can use a Sky box to receive free-to-air (FTA) channels without
paying a subscription. If you already have a box and cease your Sky
contract the viewing card that you have will continue to work with the
FTA channels. The primary purpose of the card in this instance is to
set channels 101 (BBC1) and 103 (ITV) to the correct region. If you
use the box without a card then you will get BBC1 London and ITV
Central West on those channels. However unless you pay Sky a tenner a
month you will not be able to record/playback, and indeed once your
subscription has ceased you will not be able to watch anything that
you have already recorded off subscription channels.

The advantage of Freesat-from-Sky (which is what you will have if you
have a F-f-S viewing card - once off 25 - or as possibly here an
expired viewing card) is that there are quite a few more FTA channels
that are not on non-Sky Freesat. A good example is Euronews which was
withdrawn from Freesat a few years ago by the owners. The disadvantage
is that there are some channels that are free on Freesat (and for that
matter Freeview) which are still behind the pay wall on Sky - for
example Dave and some of the +1 channels.

If you get a Freesat recorder then it will work essentially the same
as you have now with subscription Sky, i.e. you will need a dual (or
more) output LNB and two cables to the box. If you already have Sky
with recording then the box is a straight swap. Have a look at the
Manager's Specials on www.humaxdirect.co.uk for some good prices. Note
that Freesat channel numbers are different from the same stations on
Freesat-from-Sky and both are different from Freeview.

To sum up:

Freeview is terrestrial TV through your aerial and needs only a TV and
a PVR if you want to record. You can record two different channels at
once off one aerial whilst watching a recording. You will need a TV
with HD tuner (all TV's sold in the last two years and of 32" screen
or bigger should have one as standard) to watch HD programmes. Almost
any PVR has a HD tuner as standard and can be used with a TV that is
capable of HD in some format effectively replacing the TV tuner.

Freesat is more or less Freeview but from a satellite via a dish
rather than a TV aerial. You need two separate feeds from the dish to
be able to record one channel whilst watching another, or to record
two stations simultaneously. Most satellite recivers and all with
recording capability will receive HD.

Freesat-from-Sky is the same as Freesat but using a Sky box and has
channel differences as described above and no recording without
paying. If it is a Sky+HD box then it will receive HD as standard.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old June 2nd 17, 06:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Dickie mint" wrote in message

One simple fact of Satellite that hasn't been mentioned and maybe
needs stressing is that a sky box receives exactly the same
transmission as a Freesat one. There are sky channels that are paid
for, but these are on the same satellites that the 'free' ones are!
There are no sky satellites, it's just another way of receiving
what's transmitted. In fact the satellites are not owned by the
broadcasters, they pay to rent space.

If you get a good selection with your existing sky installed dish so
you will with a Freesat Set Top Box or PVR.

Your description of the 'two cables split out of the one from the
dish' suggests the usual 'shotgun' cable. Figure of 8 shaped, it's
just two cables stuck together. Easier to run and looks better than
two cables run along the wall.

Slight correction. The Astra satellites are not owned by the
broadcasters but rather owned and operated by SES S.A. based in
Luxembourg. Uplinking from the UK is mostly done by Arqiva. The
broadcasters pay SES for each transponder they use.

Old June 2nd 17, 06:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Dickie mint wrote:
One simple fact of Satellite that hasn't been mentioned and maybe
needs stressing is that a sky box receives exactly the same
transmission as a Freesat one.

Understood.

There are sky channels that are paid
for, but these are on the same satellites that the 'free' ones are!
There are no sky satellites, it's just another way of receiving
what's transmitted. In fact the satellites are not owned by the
broadcasters, they pay to rent space.

If you get a good selection with your existing sky installed dish so
you will with a Freesat Set Top Box or PVR.

Yes, we get all the channels subscribed for with Sky. Or so she tells me
Dunno what a PVR is. Oh, personal video recorder as Google tells me. But
the Freesat box will also record..?

Your description of the 'two cables split out of the one from the
dish' suggests the usual 'shotgun' cable. Figure of 8 shaped, it's
just two cables stuck together. Easier to run and looks better than
two cables run along the wall.

Indeed. It is just two cables stuck together.

Thanks for the reply.

Old June 2nd 17, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

I've just printed that off.

Thanks for your reply.

Old June 2nd 17, 06:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

tim... wrote:
[...]

If you had sparkles, this must have been at least 17 years ago.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old June 2nd 17, 07:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 17:43:24 +0100, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

Old June 2nd 17, 09:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 2 June 2017 16:20:33 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Friday, 2 June 2017 15:43:41 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

SNIP

Does the Freesat box just plug into the SKY dish connections?

Yes, apart from the newest duo ones. If the box also records you
will need two feeds.

There are two cables coming from the SKY dish and going into the
back of the SKY box. Will these be the two feeds?

Yes - the previous set up will have been Sky+

So, I'd plug both into a Freesat box then?

Only if it has two inputs [and can record - e.g. onto an internal hard disk].

All she wants to do is watch and record.

Many TV's will now record on USB, although to record full HD you will
probably need a USB pen drive. (still 64GB for £20 is pretty cheap).

Seems that she could not care less about HD.

If you have an HD screen and she is not myopic she should soon appreciate the difference.

Thanks.

Old June 2nd 17, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mr Pounder Esquire

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Friday, 2 June 2017 15:43:41 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

SNIP

Does the Freesat box just plug into the SKY dish connections?

Yes, apart from the newest duo ones. If the box also records you
will need two feeds.

There are two cables coming from the SKY dish and going into the
back of the SKY box. Will these be the two feeds?

Yes - the previous set up will have been Sky+

So, I'd plug both into a Freesat box then?

Only if it has two inputs [and can record - e.g. onto an internal
hard disk].

Understood and we have two inputs.

All she wants to do is watch and record.

Many TV's will now record on USB, although to record full HD you
will probably need a USB pen drive. (still 64GB for 20 is pretty
cheap).

Seems that she could not care less about HD.

If you have an HD screen and she is not myopic she should soon
appreciate the difference.

We have a HD screen, I can't tell if the picture is HD or not. But I watch
very little television.
She has never moaned about the picture qualitity.

Thanks.