Reception problem confusion

Old May 28th 17, 08:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

Default Reception problem confusion

A friend is having problems with the reception particularly on the
higher TV channel numbers.

I've just checked on Wolfbane which reports clear line of sight to the
Nottingham transmitter indicating that it is 1 mile away.

Wolfbane suggests a set-top aerial - my friend will have standard
aerials (they've got more than one TV).

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-...ddress/results says the
nearest transmitter is Waltham, why? Has it determined Nottingham is
to near. 20+ miles away, again clear line of sight, and extra hi-gain
aerial suggested.

I'll ask some more questions of them tomorrow as I have no idea what
aerials they have but some clarification of the above is welcomed.

--
AnthonyL
Old May 28th 17, 08:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
AnthonyL wrote:
A friend is having problems with the reception particularly on the
higher TV channel numbers.

I've just checked on Wolfbane which reports clear line of sight to the
Nottingham transmitter indicating that it is 1 mile away.

Wolfbane suggests a set-top aerial - my friend will have standard
aerials (they've got more than one TV).

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-...ddress/results says the
nearest transmitter is Waltham, why? Has it determined Nottingham is
to near. 20+ miles away, again clear line of sight, and extra hi-gain
aerial suggested.

I'll ask some more questions of them tomorrow as I have no idea what
aerials they have but some clarification of the above is welcomed.

The Nottingham relay has a directional transmitting aerial. It points (if I
remember correctly) in a South easterly direction. If your friend is to
its Northwest, although it may be close by but it will provide very little
signal. I don't think wolfbane understands directional transmitting
aerials, but its a great many years (20+) since I did this sort of thing
for a living.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old May 28th 17, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

charles wrote:

AnthonyL wrote:

I've just checked on Wolfbane which reports clear line of sight to the
Nottingham transmitter indicating that it is 1 mile away.

I don't think wolfbane understands directional transmitting
aerials

Also wolfbane seems to over-egg the requirement for e.g. "amplified
extra high gain" when an un-amplified log-periodic is fine here.
Old May 29th 17, 02:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/05/2017 21:36, charles wrote:

The Nottingham relay has a directional transmitting aerial. It points (if I
remember correctly) in a South easterly direction. If your friend is to
its Northwest, although it may be close by but it will provide very little
signal.

Yes. On account of being co-channel with Sheffield Crosspool.

Old May 29th 17, 06:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
A friend is having problems with the reception particularly on the
higher TV channel numbers.

I've just checked on Wolfbane which reports clear line of sight to
the
Nottingham transmitter indicating that it is 1 mile away.

Wolfbane suggests a set-top aerial - my friend will have standard
aerials (they've got more than one TV).

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-...ddress/results says the
nearest transmitter is Waltham, why? Has it determined Nottingham
is
to near. 20+ miles away, again clear line of sight, and extra
hi-gain
aerial suggested.

I'll ask some more questions of them tomorrow as I have no idea what
aerials they have but some clarification of the above is welcomed.

The best and simplest solution in this situation is to use a very
clever device - your eyes. Your friend should look around and see
where his neighbours aerials are directed. If they are small and
vertical then they are likely pointed at Nottingham (Kimberley) but if
they are horizontal then they will be using Waltham. Having said that,
if the horizontal aerials are great big things on tall poles then it
is likely that Nottingham is to be preferred and the need for aerial
size and height suggests a weak signal or obstructed signal path.

An easy way is to look out of the bedroom window on a clear night and
see if the mast lights of Waltham are visible. If they are, use
Waltham as it is a main station and so carries the full range of TV
channels where Nottingham, although a main station, does not.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 29th 17, 07:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 28/05/2017 21:36, charles wrote:

The Nottingham relay has a directional transmitting aerial. It points (if I
remember correctly) in a South easterly direction. If your friend is to
its Northwest, although it may be close by but it will provide very little
signal.

Ta da !

http://www.markyboy.net/nottingham.pdf

--
Mark

Old May 29th 17, 07:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The s/n of more modern tuneers seems to hav inproved in recent years so I
douubt amplification is a good idea, usually giving cross modulation due to
strong out of band signals getting in.

Old May 29th 17, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Mark Carver
wrote:
On 28/05/2017 21:36, charles wrote:

The Nottingham relay has a directional transmitting aerial. It points
(if I remember correctly) in a South easterly direction. If your
friend is to its Northwest, although it may be close by but it will
provide very little signal.

Ta da !

http://www.markyboy.net/nottingham.pdf

gosh - I haven't seen one of those for many, many years. And, it seems that
I did remember correctly.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England