vcr repairs and servicing and macrovision removal

Old May 29th 17, 09:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx

Default vcr repairs and servicing and macrovision removal

On 28/05/2017 15:57, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I've got a couple of VHS tapes that are not available on DVD

Are you sure they're not available anywhere else, peer to peer sharing
for one?
Old May 29th 17, 09:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Fredxxx
writes
On 28/05/2017 15:57, Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I've got a couple of VHS tapes that are not available on DVD

Are you sure they're not available anywhere else, peer to peer sharing
for one?

IIRC, when I've tried to copy Macrovisioned tapes from a VCR to a DVD
recorder, video-to-video doesn't work. However, RF-to-RF DID work,
albeit probably of a slightly poorer quality. If so, it will probably
also work using an analogue PC tuner card or USB thingy.
--
Ian
Old May 29th 17, 10:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"the dog from that film you saw" wrote in
message ...
On 28/05/2017 20:07, wrote:

wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to download the film? - in better
quality than your tape.
i know you say it's not available but i bet it is somewhere.

You'd think so.

How about "The Frog Prince" (1985, with Jane Snowden)?
Ian.

http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/LEPKTHXD/

probably a bootleg but there you go.

Mmmmm, Jane Snowden...

Old May 29th 17, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y
Alan Dawes

In article ,
Steve wrote:
On Sun, 28 May 2017 15:57:34 +0100, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I've got a couple of VHS tapes that are not available on DVD so I got
my old VCR out of the wardrobe and tried to connect it to my Pioneer
freeview dvd recorder. But the dvd recorder displayed a message saying
it was copy protected and refused to record it. I'm guessing it is
macrovision?

I don't have a video card so I cannot copy to my pc at the moment.
Please recommend one if you think that's the way to go.

I was wondering if there was a little black box I could connect
between the vcr and recorder to remove the macrovision. If so what
product do you recommend?

Do all dvd recorders have this "feature"? Is there a firmware upgrade
or remote hack that makes Pioneers ignore macrovision?

One last question: I am having trouble inserting and ejecting tapes. I
think the vcr needs servicing. Where can I buy replacement belts from
and are service manuals available anywhere (it is a Thomson vcr).

Thanks,
Stephen.

I've never used this company, I'm just giving you the first google hit
for "vhs digitising service":

http://www.mr-scan.co.uk/video.html

Worth a thought?

A reputable company won't convert commercial tapes which these must be
since they are macrovision protected - it is too easy for them to be
"done" for copyright infringement.

Alan

--

Using an ARMX6
Old May 29th 17, 06:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

wrote:
On Sunday, 28 May 2017 20:47:24 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
vanyablue wrote:

wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to download the film? - in better
quality than your tape.
i know you say it's not available but i bet it is somewhere.

You'd think so.

How about "The Frog Prince" (1985, with Jane Snowden)?

Ian.

Suspect it won't work but available to download from Amazon.com...

https://www.amazon.com/French-Lesson.../dp/B00R3LER12

Tim

Yes, thats the one, renamed for the American market. However It won't
accept my payment without a USA address. Aren't they ridiculous.
Ian.

A bit of googling suggests one way that might work is to buy yourself a $10
gift card from Amazon.com and send it to yourself (email delivery
obviously). Then go back in to you account settings and give yourself a
fictitious US address.

Lastly make your purchase with your gift card.

No idea whether this will work but in the past one could buy US dollar gift
cards from overseas and then spend them (after giving yourself a US
address) without the system twigging that something was being bought from
overseas.

At worst it's gonna cost you $10 to find out. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old August 14th 17, 11:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

vanyablue wrote:

wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to download the film? - in better
quality than your tape.
i know you say it's not available but i bet it is somewhere.

You'd think so.

How about "The Frog Prince" (1985, with Jane Snowden)?

Ian.

Suspect it won't work but available to download from Amazon.com...

https://www.amazon.com/French-Lesson.../dp/B00R3LER12

Tim

Yes, thats the one, renamed for the American market. However It won't accept my payment without a USA address. Aren't they ridiculous.
Ian.

I could get that sorted for you, but then you probably know someone in
the USA who could di it just as easily.

But as it happens, I'm surethat Amazon wil send single Region 1 DVDs to
a UK address. I've got two I bought like that, without any local
intermediary.
Old August 15th 17, 07:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

vanyablue wrote:

wouldn't it be a whole lot cheaper to download the film? - in better
quality than your tape.
i know you say it's not available but i bet it is somewhere.

You'd think so.

How about "The Frog Prince" (1985, with Jane Snowden)?

Suspect it won't work but available to download from Amazon.com...

https://www.amazon.com/French-Lesson.../dp/B00R3LER12

Yes, thats the one, renamed for the American market. However It won't
accept my payment without a USA address. Aren't they ridiculous.
Ian.

I could get that sorted for you, but then you probably know someone in
the USA who could di it just as easily.

But as it happens, I'm surethat Amazon wil send single Region 1 DVDs to
a UK address. I've got two I bought like that, without any local
intermediary.

Not if you mean through LoveFilm by post:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...vice-lovefilm/
Old August 15th 17, 02:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_4_]

vanyablue wrote:

[...]

No. I meant just plain old www.amazon.com, purveyor of Region 1 DVDs to
keep forever.
Old August 15th 17, 03:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

OK an old thread, but there is something about old video recorders that used
to please me. The way they worked and how well they worked considering the
various compromises made by the different formats. I think I still have a
broken betamax upstairs but somebody took the tapes and has enjoyed the
trip down memory lane and also the philips n1700 as well. Needed new belts
though.