dashcams: how do they link to my PC?

Old May 25th 17, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default dashcams: how do they link to my PC?

"tim..." wrote in message
news
With a 64 GB card, it will record the whole of my wife's journey to and
from
work for two days (so a little over 4 hours). That's for 1920x1080x30
format; if you go for 1280x720 or 720x480, you'll get proportionally
longer.

mine came with a CFU 4GB card

given that there is virtually no price deference between that and an 8GB
card, a completely unnecessary piece of cost saving - *******s!

Most cameras (whether dashcam, compact or DSLR) are supplied with woefully
small cards that are worse than useless - better to save a few pounds and
supply no card, and put a big "card not included" warning on the box so you
know you've got to buy your own - which will be a sensible size.

When I bought my first digital camera, it was supplied with a 16 MB CF card
(!) which probably held about 10 photos, even at the lower resolution of
that camera.

It was cheaper for me to buy two 256 MB cards than to buy one 512 MB card.

Old May 28th 17, 07:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 23/05/2017 15:48, Bill Wright wrote:
OK I need a dashcam. Stuff keeps happening. Kid on a motorbike comes
onto the roundabout from the pavement out of control and if I hadn't
stopped abruptly would have been under my wheels. Guy in a big merc
comes round a blind bend and passes me with inches to spare, me with the
nearside wheels in the ditch. One day I'm going to need evidence. The
problem is my ignorance is more-or-less all encompassing.

How do I get the video from the dashcam and into my PC? Options seem to be:

1. Wi-fi. I've never even got the wifi on my stills camera to work so
forget that.
2. Take the memory card out of the dashcam and... do what with it? Do I
have to buy a card reader that USBs to the PC? If so will the card
contents appear as a removal drive or what? I don't like fiddling around
with those tiny cards. I never take the card out of my camera.
3. USB from the dashcam to the PC. That sounds most foolproof to me. Do
these dashcams have a USB socket?

Do I have to load software onto the PC? If so is it supplied?

Help!

Bill

Which? 5 Best Buys are all Nextbase.

Mine is the Nextbase 402. Argos currently have it for £30 off at £69.99.

It has the mini USB socket for powering it in the car, and a USB mini
lead to USB for connecting to the PC. It then appears as another drive.
Due to the short life of the battery, the USB lead must pass volts as
well as data.
It takes a micro SD card which can be read with a micro to standard SD
card adapter. Though I find that slower to read files off.

Argos have posted the manual here
http://documents.4rgos.it/v1/static/5858817_R_D001

It comes with the leads, a DVD with software for playing the videos and
a mount.

The thing has a GPS so records location as well as speed - so watch your
speedo!

Old May 28th 17, 07:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 28/05/2017 20:14, Dickie mint wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that. I'll get one then.

Old May 29th 17, 05:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 29/05/2017 10:31, Martin wrote:
What did Which? give as best?

Not much between them