My TV has started 'posterizing'

Old May 22nd 17, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

Default My TV has started 'posterizing'

En el artículo , Roger Mills
escribió:

Thanks. It's a Philips 37PFL5522D/05

No luck with a diagram, sorry, but there's a refurbished one here (out of
stock)

https://spares2repair.co.uk/philips-37pfl5522d-05-psu-dps-168bp-b-rev-00-f

The 6 caps in the top right hand corner of the image are the ones I would
look at. If any are swollen or leaking I would change the lot. A couple of
quid. For an example of bad caps, see:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KfFzzeKlCOw/maxresdefault.jpg

The power supply seems to be a standard part made by Delta (a well-known
Taiwanese power supply builder) and is likely to have been used in other
makes and models of TV so should be widely available.

It's up to you whether you think it's worth the effort for a ten year old TV.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old May 22nd 17, 03:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , brightside
S9 escribió:

Mike I would appreciate
one for a Samsung UE40D5520.

Not here again, sorry The circuits I have are mostly for older stuff
like the OP's.

It has power problems ( it comes on and
then goes off after 2 seconds)

This suggests it's a common problem:

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34677

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old May 22nd 17, 04:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Mills[_2_]

On 22/05/2017 16:37, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , Roger Mills
escribió:

Thanks. It's a Philips 37PFL5522D/05

No luck with a diagram, sorry, but there's a refurbished one here (out of
stock)

https://spares2repair.co.uk/philips-37pfl5522d-05-psu-dps-168bp-b-rev-00-f

The 6 caps in the top right hand corner of the image are the ones I would
look at. If any are swollen or leaking I would change the lot. A couple of
quid. For an example of bad caps, see:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KfFzzeKlCOw/maxresdefault.jpg

The power supply seems to be a standard part made by Delta (a well-known
Taiwanese power supply builder) and is likely to have been used in other
makes and models of TV so should be widely available.

It's up to you whether you think it's worth the effort for a ten year old TV.

Not sure whether I want to tear it apart unless it fails totally.

The Mrs is hankering after a new 'smart' telly which she believes will
solve all her problems about not being able to get her head around the
concept of using the TV purely as a monitor for the Humax - but I have
my doubts!

[Problem is that the Humax remote also controls the TV, and she
sometimes sends the TV channel change commands intended for the Humax,
which actually changes the TV *input* and gives her a blue screen!]

A smart telly will enable her to use things the iPlayer on the TV itself
without involving the Humax, but what happens when she wants to record
something or pause live TV?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old May 23rd 17, 10:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bagpuss[_2_]

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 22/05/2017 12:54, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , Roger Mills
escribió:

Anyone care to hazard a guess as to the root cause? Is it likely to be
easily fixable?

Given the age, the first thing I would look at is the capacitors in the
power supply. They're likely to be failing, especially if the set runs
hot. This causes voltage changes on the PSU outputs which can cause all
kinds of weird symptoms, including the one you mention.

If it is the caps, it's a straightforward and cheap fix for anyone handy
with a multimeter, a screwdriver and a soldering iron.

If you come up with a model number, I'll see if I can find a circuit
diagram. I've got 118GB of diagrams for various TVs etc. here.

Thanks. It's a Philips 37PFL5522D/05

--

I think that TV has a LC7 2ELA chassis and a service manual for that can be
downloaded from

https://elektrotanya.com/philips_lc7.../download.html

BP

Old May 23rd 17, 01:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , pamela
escribió:
On 12:54 22 May 2017, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

I've got 118GB of diagrams for various TVs etc. here.

That's quite some collection. How come you have it?

It was a link posted to one of the electronics groups a while back.
Some unwitting student at the Uni of Gdansk made his extensive
collection of pirated circuit diagrams and manuals world-readable.

Bet they got a shock when they looked at the bandwidth stats

It's a very extensive collection, covering not only TV and radio, but
test/laboratory kit (frequency counters, oscilloscopes, that sort of
thing), and a lot of vintage (valve) equipment. It's sorted by
manufacturer, and I've only had time for a quick delve.

The site posted by another user (elektrotanya) is also a good resource.

Ultimately, though in today's throwaway society repair is a dying art.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West