CRTs

Old May 21st 17, 10:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default CRTs

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Old May 21st 17, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any market for these any more?

I doubt it. Rumour has it that nobody even takes CRTs from freecycle, I
still haven't chucked out my 14" triniton, but I ought to ...

Old May 21st 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 21 May 2017 10:12:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

As it happens I have an old CRT computer monitor lying in my hallway,
so I recently watched a few similar items on Ebay to see if it was
worth the bother of trying to sell it. Even with starting prices of
99p, none of the ones I watched got any bids at all. I think that
probably answers your question.

Curiosity often gets the better of me in such situations, but this
time I don't think I can even be bothered to plug it in to see if it
still works. It'll be going to the recycling centre. Soon. One day.

Old May 21st 17, 12:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

As it happens I have an old CRT computer monitor lying in my hallway,
so I recently watched a few similar items on Ebay to see if it was
worth the bother of trying to sell it. Even with starting prices of
99p, none of the ones I watched got any bids at all. I think that
probably answers your question.

Curiosity often gets the better of me in such situations, but this
time I don't think I can even be bothered to plug it in to see if it
still works. It'll be going to the recycling centre. Soon. One day.

And when it does, you'll see others of a similar ilk piled high.

Old May 21st 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

I recently watched a few similar items on Ebay to see if it was
worth the bother of trying to sell it. Even with starting prices of
99p, none of the ones I watched got any bids at all

I just had a look for sold CRT TVs/monitors on eBay, and it turns out
there *are* a few ... mainly old B&O, or metal-cased professional
monitors, or combi VHS/DVD/TVs but the occasional "normal" TV for about
£25 to £30 collection only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crt+-lcd&_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=11071&_ sacat=11071
Old May 21st 17, 02:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 21 May 2017 12:52:18 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

I just had a look for sold CRT TVs/monitors on eBay, and it turns out
there *are* a few ... mainly old B&O, or metal-cased professional
monitors, or combi VHS/DVD/TVs but the occasional "normal" TV for about
25 to 30 collection only.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=crt+-lcd&_sop=3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=11071&_ sacat=11071

At first glance it seems only the Bang & Olufsen tellies are getting
any bids. I wonder if there's something special about the name?

Those Sony monitors will just be for 625 line analogue PAL video, and
mostly with just 14" screens. Can anybody really have a use for them?
As they're all "Buy it now" sales, it's impossible to tell if anybody
actually does. I doubt it though.

Old May 21st 17, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

\I'm being awkward. My brother wants to give me an older flat-screen
TV as he is moving house, for my kitchen.

At the moment, I have a CRT set fed by an HD box and I actually like
the 'period' feel so I'm going to decline his offer (or maybe keep it
in reserve).
Old May 21st 17, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I have a Hitachi and a Fidelity, both 'portable' or luggable is probably
more the term I'd use.

Old May 21st 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm these are both small screensizes, so I guess its the tip then.

I do hope somebody is keeping a few examples running somewhere on a closed
circuit pal generator or something, for educational uses if nothing else.
the b/w one in my window cupboard still runs too but the picture is a bit
soot and whitwewash according to my friend.

Old May 21st 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes there is that burning dust smell from them.
When I think of the progress and changes over just my lifetime its amazing.
Back when I first encountered tvs, there were two sorts, ones that back
projected onto a fresnel screen for larger sizes but needed to be viewed in
dark rooms, and those with small screens in huge cases with magnifiers on
the front.
All was black and white of course, and now look where we are, flat and even
curved screens in full colour, sadly, the programme material is not a lot
better.
I guess since I now cannot see the screen at all, its a bit hard to comment
on whether its better or not in other ways, but being brought up in my
middle years on the resolution of vcrs, I suppose the first digitals I
could see looked good at first, but the definition and other snazzy stuff is
a mere illusion of compression being used to fool the eyes.