A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

CRTs



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old May 24th 17, 11:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 265
Default CRTs

On 21/05/17 10:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...


I was at an electronics car boot sale (DDRC in Luton) on sunday, and
some Ikegami CRT ex-broadcast monitors sets were sold for £5 each, and a
slew of Microvitec as well (I think free....)

There are some folks requiring 4:3 CRT's for video game cabinets.
I understand professional grade items are sought after for this.

--
Adrian C
  #72  
Old May 24th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,091
Default CRTs

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:44:21 +0100, "NY" wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical, meaningless
twaddle.

And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.

I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.


You must of been better educated than them.


"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than you :-)


So much for my feeble attempt at humour then...

Rod.
  #73  
Old May 24th 17, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,781
Default CRTs

On 23/05/2017 23:20, David Wade wrote:
On 23/05/2017 19:38, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 09:57:22 +0100, David Wade
wrote:


If I understand the proposed changes properley, the scheme for getting
regional content on BBC news involves removing the SD streams, so you
will need an HD capable box to watch BBC news and some other BBC
channels.

Which means I will either have to either replace my Kitchen TV or buy an
external HD capable converter.

I have noew junked more useless digital TVs and boxes than I had analoge
sets. Well it feels like that.

Where are you getting this information from? A link would be helpful.

well on here of course, but try this for starters...

https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-...hd-future.html


although it does say legacy equipent won't loose service I have heard
that before...


"Freeview embarks on all HD future"

No mention of whether that includes the scores of SD channels, or where
the bandwidth would come from if they are all to go HD.

Also no mention of T versus T2. The fear is that more and more channels
will go T2 only, whether SD or HD.

--
Max Demian
  #74  
Old May 24th 17, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,781
Default CRTs

On 24/05/2017 10:44, NY wrote:
"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:59:51 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical,
meaningless
twaddle.

And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.

I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.


You must of been better educated than them.


"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than you :-)


You missed the 'them' which should be 'they'.

--
Max Demian
  #75  
Old May 24th 17, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 303
Default CRTs

On 24/05/2017 14:24, Bob Latham wrote:

T2 has been broadcast around (I'm guessing) 10 years or so now?


Started from Crystal Palace and Winter Hill late 2009 I think.
A few more sites were added in 2010, then it kicked in as DSO hit
each new area.


--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #76  
Old May 24th 17, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,134
Default CRTs

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
You must of been better educated than them.


"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than you :-)


You missed the 'them' which should be 'they'.


True, though I've always thought that "It is I", "He is bigger than they"
etc sound pretentious and wrong - from the same mould as people who refer to
"an historic event" rather than "a historic event" ("an" is used before a
vowel or a vowel sound, whereas the H is sounded, so it's as logical as "an
hedge" or "an hedge").

  #77  
Old May 24th 17, 02:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,218
Default CRTs

On Wed, 24 May 2017 13:47:02 +0100
Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:44:21 +0100, "NY" wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical,
meaningless twaddle.

And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the
language.

I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.

You must of been better educated than them.


"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than
you :-)


So much for my feeble attempt at humour then...

Rod.


Don't worry, I got it, in fact you beat me to it.

--
Davey.
  #78  
Old May 24th 17, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 936
Default CRTs

On 24/05/2017 14:39, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
You must of been better educated than them.

"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than you :-)


You missed the 'them' which should be 'they'.


True, though I've always thought that "It is I", "He is bigger than
they" etc sound pretentious and wrong


... whereas they are actually correct. Don't be dragged down by the
common people!

What is really pretentious is when people don't know why they're saying
what they're saying and, for example, always use 'I' even where 'me' is
required, probably because they think it's posher.

'So, it's goodbye from Peter and I' or 'To you and I it would be a
disaster' are the sort of occurrences I mean. It all stems from the
queen saying (perfectly correctly) 'my husband and I'.
  #79  
Old May 24th 17, 03:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,214
Default CRTs

On Wed, 24 May 2017 13:47:02 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:44:21 +0100, "NY" wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical, meaningless
twaddle.

And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.

I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.

You must of been better educated than them.


"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than you :-)


So much for my feeble attempt at humour then...

Rod.

I noticed it, and smiled.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
  #80  
Old May 24th 17, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,818
Default CRTs

On 24/05/2017 16:38, Peter Duncanson wrote:

I noticed it, and smiled.


Do you smile when you're alone?

Bill
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.