A Sky, cable and digital tv forum. Digital TV Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Digital TV Banter forum » Digital TV Newsgroups » uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.tech.digital-tv (Digital TV - General) (uk.tech.digital-tv) Discussion of all matters technical in origin related to the reception of digital television transmissions, be they via satellite, terrestrial or cable. Advertising is forbidden, with no exceptions.

CRTs



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old May 23rd 17, 09:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richmond[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default CRTs

Norman Wells writes:

On 23/05/2017 19:24, Richmond wrote:
Norman Wells writes:

On 23/05/2017 15:42, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Davey wrote:

It's similar to the thinking that allows the expression "5-times
smaller than so-and-so". "5-times larger", yes, but not smaller.

Why do you object to it? Smallness is the inverse of bigness. You
can measure smallness (e.g. in m^-3), and something a fifth as big
will be five times as small. It's no different from resistance and
conductance.

It's just mathematically illiterate. 'Times' means multiplication, not
division. It's a matter of language.


What about 100 times 0.2?


It's multiplication. It's what 'times' means.


Yes, very obviously. But when 100 is multiplied by 0.2, the result is
smaller. Because times 0.2 is the same as divide by 5.
  #62  
Old May 23rd 17, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default CRTs

On 23/05/2017 19:38, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 09:57:22 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

On 22/05/2017 17:57, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:13:45 +0100, Richmond
wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?

If I understand the proposed changes properley, the scheme for getting
regional content on BBC news involves removing the SD streams, so you
will need an HD capable box to watch BBC news and some other BBC channels.

Which means I will either have to either replace my Kitchen TV or buy an
external HD capable converter.

I have noew junked more useless digital TVs and boxes than I had analoge
sets. Well it feels like that.

Where are you getting this information from? A link would be helpful.

well on here of course, but try this for starters...

https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-...hd-future.html

although it does say legacy equipent won't loose service I have heard
that before...
  #63  
Old May 23rd 17, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 14
Default CRTs

On 23/05/2017 21:12, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 20:32:18 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:



"Scott" wrote in message
...
On Tue, 23 May 2017 09:57:22 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

On 22/05/2017 17:57, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:13:45 +0100, Richmond
wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?

If I understand the proposed changes properley, the scheme for getting
regional content on BBC news involves removing the SD streams, so you
will need an HD capable box to watch BBC news and some other BBC channels.

Which means I will either have to either replace my Kitchen TV or buy an
external HD capable converter.

I have noew junked more useless digital TVs and boxes than I had analoge
sets. Well it feels like that.

Where are you getting this information from? A link would be helpful.


You can probably find it under dodgy RoHS soldering - but they do seem to be
getting better at solving the reliability problems.


I was referring to the claim that regional programming would move to
DVB-T2 rather than the reliabilty issue. I should have made this
clearer.

These were software problems not hardware ones. So my original Phillips
TV set with "On Digital" software never received the Teletext update and
stopped working as a DVB receiver. MY ON Digital boxes stopped worked
when we switched to the current coding, although the chip set supported it.

My original hard disk recorder stopped working about the same time.
Technically it was supposed to work but it stuttered so badly it was
unwatchable. The replacement died when one of the program guides ceased
to be broadcast, or rather stopped recording to schedule so also useless.

The replacement for the Phillips TV, a Medion became so slow after one
of the Teletext updates it was unusable, and eventually died so actually
one hardware failure...

... LG have withdrawn various bits of add-ons for my flat screen TV.

Compare that with the old Pye V4 (or perhaps V5) with turret tuner which
worked for 20 years from before the start of ITV, and would probably
have continued until the end of VHF TV had my mother not thrown it out...

Dave
  #64  
Old May 23rd 17, 10:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,374
Default CRTs

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical, meaningless
twaddle.


And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.

-- Richard
  #65  
Old May 23rd 17, 10:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,179
Default CRTs

On 23/05/2017 23:39, Richard Tobin wrote:

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition.


That is the sort of English, up with which I will not put.

:-)

Jim
  #66  
Old May 24th 17, 06:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,226
Default CRTs

On Tue, 23 May 2017 23:20:24 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

On 23/05/2017 19:38, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 09:57:22 +0100, David Wade
wrote:

On 22/05/2017 17:57, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:13:45 +0100, Richmond
wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?

If I understand the proposed changes properley, the scheme for getting
regional content on BBC news involves removing the SD streams, so you
will need an HD capable box to watch BBC news and some other BBC channels.

Which means I will either have to either replace my Kitchen TV or buy an
external HD capable converter.

I have noew junked more useless digital TVs and boxes than I had analoge
sets. Well it feels like that.

Where are you getting this information from? A link would be helpful.

well on here of course, but try this for starters...

https://www.freeview.co.uk/news-and-...hd-future.html

although it does say legacy equipent won't loose service I have heard
that before...


I see no suggestion whatsoever that BBC regional variants will become
HD only. My interpretation is that all new sets will require to be HD
capable. This is a requirement imposed on retailers, not on
broadcasters.
  #67  
Old May 24th 17, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 936
Default CRTs

On 23/05/2017 23:39, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical, meaningless
twaddle.


And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.


I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.

  #68  
Old May 24th 17, 09:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,091
Default CRTs

On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:59:51 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical, meaningless
twaddle.


And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.


I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.


You must of been better educated than them.

Rod.
  #69  
Old May 24th 17, 09:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,134
Default CRTs

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 24 May 2017 08:59:51 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

No it doesn't, because 'five times smaller' is nonsensical, meaningless
twaddle.

And yet even *you* know what it means.

You're like the people who insist it's wrong to end with a
preposition. Fortunately, you don't get to define the language.


I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.


You must of been better educated than them.


"You must of"? I think I must *have* been educated better than you :-)

  #70  
Old May 24th 17, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,374
Default CRTs

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:

I'm more like the people who well understand what 'I done that
yesterday' means but nevertheless regard those who say it as thick,
uneducated and ignorant.


Ah, bigots.

-- Richard



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2017 Digital TV Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.