CRTs

Old May 23rd 17, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default CRTs

On Tue, 23 May 2017 09:57:22 +0100
David Wade wrote:

On 22/05/2017 17:57, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:13:45 +0100, Richmond
wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT
is better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD
ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is
that a better quality input converted to analogue will still
provide better output whether it is technically HD or not. Is
there merit in this, or is it just nonsense?

If I understand the proposed changes properley, the scheme for
getting regional content on BBC news involves removing the SD
streams, so you will need an HD capable box to watch BBC news and
some other BBC channels.

Which means I will either have to either replace my Kitchen TV or buy
an external HD capable converter.

I have noew junked more useless digital TVs and boxes than I had
analoge sets. Well it feels like that.

Dave

"It All Makes Work for the Working Man to Do".

--
Davey.
Old May 23rd 17, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/05/2017 09:22, Norman Wells wrote:
On 23/05/2017 09:04, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

How can you let the absence of something out?

Why not?

Quite. My neighbour let out space in his house, and we know space is a
vacuum.

Kids often let you out a foot when you're in company.

Old May 23rd 17, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Davey wrote:

It's similar to the thinking that allows the expression "5-times
smaller than so-and-so". "5-times larger", yes, but not smaller.

Why do you object to it? Smallness is the inverse of bigness. You
can measure smallness (e.g. in m^-3), and something a fifth as big
will be five times as small. It's no different from resistance and
conductance.

-- Richard
Old May 23rd 17, 04:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richmond[_2_]

Davey writes:

On Tue, 23 May 2017 00:15:46 GMT
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

On Mon, 22 May 2017 20:18:17 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

Its not a bad idea to smack the neck off and let the vacuum out
first though.

How can you let the absence of something out?

You can open the 'fridge door and let the cold out?

You open the fridge and let /cold air/ out. Cold air is something, not
nothing.

Having said that, it might be there is no such thing as nothing. Not
that any of this matters at all.

Old May 23rd 17, 04:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 23/05/2017 15:42, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Davey wrote:

It's similar to the thinking that allows the expression "5-times
smaller than so-and-so". "5-times larger", yes, but not smaller.

Why do you object to it? Smallness is the inverse of bigness. You
can measure smallness (e.g. in m^-3), and something a fifth as big
will be five times as small. It's no different from resistance and
conductance.

It's just mathematically illiterate. 'Times' means multiplication, not
division. It's a matter of language.

Old May 23rd 17, 04:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

More like "who made this circuit up for you"...

Dave
Old May 23rd 17, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

On 2017-05-21, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any market for these any more?

I doubt it. Rumour has it that nobody even takes CRTs from freecycle,

Local charity place won't take them any more.

There's no more jumble sales round my way because the council tip invoices
them for dumping what they can't shift.

Old May 23rd 17, 06:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

wrote:

Its not a bad idea to smack the neck off and let the vacuum out first
though.

How can you let the absence of something out?

With an algebraic equation.

Old May 23rd 17, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Richmond" wrote in message
Davey writes:

wrote:

Its not a bad idea to smack the neck off and let the vacuum out
first though.

How can you let the absence of something out?

You can open the 'fridge door and let the cold out?

You open the fridge and let /cold air/ out. Cold air is something, not
nothing.

One summer I went into a shop that had a freezer cabinet open to cool the
place down.

I tried to explain that the electricity to drive the compressor generates
heat that warms the room, and the heat removed from the freezer doesn't just
magically disappear - it comes out the grille at the back.

They just didn't get it!