CRTs

Old May 22nd 17, 07:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

Default CRTs

"Graham C" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 May 2017 10:12:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour
tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf
output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

When I was a lad (sigh), the local TV repair shop showed me their
'device'.

We went out the back door into the yard and they opened the door to
their defunct outside loo. There was a shelf about 6 feet up on which
were a few wall bricks. They put their dead CRTs carefully on the
floor and closed the door. There was a piece of string dangling
outside and when pulled temporarily collapsed the shelf and the
wallbricks dropped. The rest is history.

Mine was the boot of a car - having just finished filling it, I was having a
cuppa while I wait for a battery to charge so I could drive to a welding set
and weld the boot shut; and someone turned up wanting to buy the car.

The car was duly driven to the tip so the glass could be got rid of - I
followed on my motorcycle, watching slabs of glass dropping out the rusted
sills.

The plan had been to weigh it in - they pick cars up with a claw crane and
shake all the junk out before weighing it. Welding the boot shut would've
prevented that.

Old May 22nd 17, 07:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour
tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf
output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

When I was a lad (sigh), the local TV repair shop showed me their
'device'.

We went out the back door into the yard and they opened the door to
their defunct outside loo. There was a shelf about 6 feet up on which
were a few wall bricks. They put their dead CRTs carefully on the
floor and closed the door. There was a piece of string dangling
outside and when pulled temporarily collapsed the shelf and the
wallbricks dropped. The rest is history.

I'm surprised a few bricks, landing from a height of about 4-5 feet, would
be enough to break the glass. I suppose if one landed on the neck
(assuming the CRT was standing in the normal sideways-on alignment) it
might do the trick.

I found a short length of scaffold pole much more effective.

Its not a bad idea to smack the neck off and let the vacuum out first
though.

Old May 22nd 17, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 22/05/2017 14:13, Richmond wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen,

Be honest now, it's because you can't lift it, isn't it?

That's a perfectly valid excuse.

There's a flat screen in the garage awaiting the need - when the wide CRT TV
dies; I'll probably dismantle it in situ.

BTW: Did they dynamite Pavarotti on the beach..........or tow him out to
sea?

Old May 22nd 17, 07:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Graham." wrote in message

wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour
tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf
output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

When I was a lad (sigh), the local TV repair shop showed me their
'device'.

We went out the back door into the yard and they opened the door to
their defunct outside loo. There was a shelf about 6 feet up on which
were a few wall bricks. They put their dead CRTs carefully on the
floor and closed the door. There was a piece of string dangling
outside and when pulled temporarily collapsed the shelf and the
wallbricks dropped. The rest is history.

It impressed me!

GrahamC

---

When I started in TV rental in 1971, the area manager would visit all
the repair depots on his patch weekly, and one of his tasks would be
to inspect the written-off TVs in the yard, and put a hammer to the
CRT neck, and each PCB to ensure that we techs could not salvage
anything that might be useful for any private ventures we might be
running on the side.

A rental company near me was the exact opposite.

What they scrapped usually ended up at the council tip and was highly sought
after.

They retired stock long before it got expensive to maintain - usually easy
to repair and I didn't get many returns.

The bean counters bought the company out and killed it off.

Old May 22nd 17, 08:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/05/2017 20:59, Ian Field wrote:

A rental company near me was the exact opposite.

What they scrapped usually ended up at the council tip and was highly
sought after.

They retired stock long before it got expensive to maintain - usually
easy to repair and I didn't get many returns.

I used to buy 100 ex-rental sets for 150. With only elementary
knowledge I'd get about half of them working. Hil used to do up the
cabinets and we'd sell them for 12 to 20.

I used to drip feed the rest to the council dustbin men. Each week I'd
give them a fiver between them and they'd take five sets, put them in
the lorry, and we'd stand back as the the crushing arm came across.

Old May 23rd 17, 12:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 22 May 2017 20:18:17 +0100, Ian Field
wrote:

Its not a bad idea to smack the neck off and let the vacuum out first
though.

How can you let the absence of something out?
Old May 23rd 17, 08:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
How can you let the absence of something out?

Why not?

-- Richard
Old May 23rd 17, 08:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 23/05/2017 09:04, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

How can you let the absence of something out?

Why not?

Quite. My neighbour let out space in his house, and we know space is a
vacuum.

Mind you, there was an awful lot of dark matter he had to take down the
tip first.

Old May 23rd 17, 08:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

wrote:

Its not a bad idea to smack the neck off and let the vacuum out
first though.

How can you let the absence of something out?

You can open the 'fridge door and let the cold out?

It's similar to the thinking that allows the expression "5-times
smaller than so-and-so". "5-times larger", yes, but not smaller.

--
Davey.
Old May 23rd 17, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Wade[_3_]

On 22/05/2017 17:57, Scott wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:13:45 +0100, Richmond
wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?

If I understand the proposed changes properley, the scheme for getting
regional content on BBC news involves removing the SD streams, so you
will need an HD capable box to watch BBC news and some other BBC channels.

Which means I will either have to either replace my Kitchen TV or buy an
external HD capable converter.

I have noew junked more useless digital TVs and boxes than I had analoge
sets. Well it feels like that.

Dave