CRTs

Old May 22nd 17, 02:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default CRTs

On 22/05/2017 14:41, Richmond wrote:
Norman Wells writes:

On 22/05/2017 14:13, Richmond wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen,

Be honest now, it's because you can't lift it, isn't it?

No. With a system of ropes and pullies I could drag it out of the
house. Or I could move house and leave it behind.

As Archimedes once said: "Give me a lever and a place to stand and I
will move the earth".

He probably had CRTs in mind.

But I suppose it keeps you warm on cold nights.

or at least better than the non HD ones.

They're all HD now.

Which just goes to show what a waste of money the Pre-HD ones were.

Yes, but as Archimedes also said: "When screen size is small or you're
far enough away, it don't make no difference, son".*

* - unoffical translation; he may have said something else entirely.

Old May 22nd 17, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richmond[_2_]

Norman Wells writes:

Yes, but as Archimedes also said: "When screen size is small or you're far
enough away, it don't make no difference, son".*

* - unoffical translation; he may have said something else entirely.

Archimedes left us many great works, including this wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_motion_blur

which describes the problem. How is it going with this? Have they fixed
it yet?
Old May 22nd 17, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 22/05/2017 16:34, Richmond wrote:
Norman Wells writes:

Yes, but as Archimedes also said: "When screen size is small or you're far
enough away, it don't make no difference, son".*

* - unoffical translation; he may have said something else entirely.

Archimedes left us many great works, including this wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_motion_blur

which describes the problem. How is it going with this? Have they fixed
it yet?

As far as I'm aware, it's not a problem at all. Go to your local TV
supplier and have a look.
Old May 22nd 17, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_2_]

On Mon, 22 May 2017 14:13:45 +0100, Richmond
wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?
Old May 22nd 17, 05:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richmond[_2_]

Norman Wells writes:

Archimedes left us many great works, including this wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_motion_blur

which describes the problem. How is it going with this? Have they fixed
it yet?

As far as I'm aware, it's not a problem at all. Go to your local TV supplier
and have a look.

Well yes but some people don't notice it, and others do.
Old May 22nd 17, 05:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?

I presume that "an HD decoder box" generates an analogue SD signal (as
composite PAL or component RGB) by down-sampling. The SD signal of broadcast
TV will also be generated by downsampling an HD master (either in advance of
transmission to create a separate SD master or else on-the-fly for live
programmes) but this may produce better results than domestic kit.

Set against this, you need to take into account compression. A downsampled
HD signal may contain fewer compression artefacts than one which is
downsampled by the broadcaster and then compressed.

Old May 22nd 17, 05:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

wrote:

I am keeping my Widescreen CRT until it dies, because I think CRT is
better than flat screen, or at least better than the non HD ones.

I was told there was no point in buying an HD decoder box for a CRT
television because SCART is not HD nor is a CRT screen.

No, but you will get a better picture if you use the component input.

CRT can be HD - I have one which can do 2048X1536, although it really achieves 1600X1200. Most TV's were not however.

I bought one anyway and I am very pleased with it. My logic is that a
better quality input converted to analogue will still provide better
output whether it is technically HD or not. Is there merit in this,
or is it just nonsense?

The original picture on a CRT would be 625 line PAL - the horizontal colour resolution is poor (red balls appear brown in the snooker) and vertical is interlaced. With the decoder you should get full colour SD resolution and probably progressive scan (if not by the box then by the TV).
Old May 22nd 17, 07:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Is there any market for these any more?

I doubt it. Rumour has it that nobody even takes CRTs from freecycle, I
still haven't chucked out my 14" triniton, but I ought to ...

Last time I had a few CRT monitors to get rid of, I put a motorcycle on the
scrap lorry but still had to bribe the scrap man with all the aluminium I
could scrape up - and then he refused to take more than 2.

There's a few 15" Trinitron monitors in the garage - highly unlikely I'll
bother sorting them out, and the component salvage is also a bit
disappointing.

Old May 22nd 17, 07:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes there is that burning dust smell from them.

Almost all are insignificant in comparison to a Fidelity CTV.

Old May 22nd 17, 07:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Mon, 22 May 2017 13:01:26 +0100, Graham C
wrote:

On Sun, 21 May 2017 10:12:01 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Is there any market for these any more? Have a couple of old colour tellies
of the analogue type both sort of work, and can be ok on vintage uhf output
computers like Atari and Specttrum, but appart form that...

Brian

When I was a lad (sigh), the local TV repair shop showed me their
'device'.

We went out the back door into the yard and they opened the door to
their defunct outside loo. There was a shelf about 6 feet up on which
were a few wall bricks. They put their dead CRTs carefully on the
floor and closed the door. There was a piece of string dangling
outside and when pulled temporarily collapsed the shelf and the
wallbricks dropped. The rest is history.

It impressed me!

GrahamC

---

When I started in TV rental in 1971, the area manager would visit all
the repair depots on his patch weekly, and one of his tasks would be
to inspect the written-off TVs in the yard, and put a hammer to the
CRT neck, and each PCB to ensure that we techs could not salvage
anything that might be useful for any private ventures we might be
running on the side.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%