Novelty aerals.

Old May 19th 17, 06:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Novelty aerals.

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on the
tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember a small ,
well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in plastic.
Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a bit of ewiire
inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just look at
hisstory.

Old May 19th 17, 11:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

If you open up an external aerial from a wi-fi router - one of those
jointed screw on things - you'll find that it consists of a length of
miniature co-ax with the braid stripped from the last 3cm or so. You
can also buy "high gain" aerials for some routers, which just look
like the same thing but about a foot long instead of a few inches. I
haven't had the opportunity to examine one of these high gain ones,
but in view of the frequencies used, I can't see how it could be
anything other than the same thing but on the end of a longer stick.
If it gets better results it must be by virtue of better positioning
rather than any superior property of the 3cm of wire itself.

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

Rod.

On Fri, 19 May 2017 07:25:31 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on the
tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember a small ,
well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in plastic.
Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a bit of ewiire
inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just look at
hisstory.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old May 19th 17, 12:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old May 19th 17, 01:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 19/05/2017 13:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.

Chris

25 years use out of one button cell was pretty good going!

Old May 19th 17, 02:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

However, I did have a Casio one that had a solar cell in one half of a clam
shell design and a tiny rechargeable inside which one supposes allowed it to
work when the light was not bright enough, at least for a short time.

Yours sounds like a fraud to me.
The cleverest calculator I ever saw was charged by shaking it. Not sure how
well it worked but it was being sold as a novelty at a show I went to some
years ago.

Old May 19th 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
However, I did have a Casio one that had a solar cell in one half of a
clam shell design and a tiny rechargeable inside which one supposes
allowed it to work when the light was not bright enough, at least for a
short time.

I have an obscure Casio solar only - no battery at all.

My latest is a retro Radio Shack LED calculator I found on the ground by
some recycling bins.

The Casio is allegedly a collectible, apart from that the Radio Shack is the
only one I've got with a proper on/off switch instead of a power button that
gets knocked on in my jacket pocket.

Old May 19th 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.

Didn't you notice that it continued to work when you covered the "solar
panel", or did you assume it had an additional power source, whether
rechargeable or not? (Purely solar calculators generally come on as soon
as they get enough light, with the AC button only needed if it shows a
garbled display.)

--
Max Demian
Old May 20th 17, 07:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Max Demian wrote:

Didn't you notice that it continued to work when you covered the "solar
panel", or did you assume it had an additional power source, whether
rechargeable or not? (Purely solar calculators generally come on as soon
as they get enough light, with the AC button only needed if it shows a
garbled display.)

I was a little suspicious. At work I used a little Casio which
was truly solar (only) and it lasted for years. I seldom needed
to do sums in the dark.

I now have a very similar looking calculator to the one I
dismantled, except that it has a battery access hatch and gives
cell details. Nevertheless it still has the fake solar cells. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old May 19th 17, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Fri, 19 May 2017 12:18:10 +0100
Roderick Stewart wrote:
Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

Some early digital mobile phones in the early 90s had phony extendable
"antennas" that were nothing more than a bit of useless plastic. I imagine at
that time people still expected a "proper" antenna on a phone so the
manufacturers oblidged with the real antenna hidden somewhere inside. The
Motorola M300 and M400 are good examples.

--
Spud