Novelty aerals.

Old May 19th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Novelty aerals.

I'm sure, they probably sold hens teeth as well.
Did you know that a snake only has one lung?

Getting back on topic, I was reminded that wall mounted pictures could also
be used as aerials, though the give away was the wire down the wall.
I also rrember the naff bits of twin feeder we used to get for fm bundled
with quite high end tuners and all of that junk. No chance of it working
very well most of the time!

"Davey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 19 May 2017 07:25:31 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Back in the 70s there used to be a trend toward ornaments that sat on
the tv, supposedly having aerials inside them. I can clearly remember
a small , well not that small, naff looking statue of a girl made in
plastic. Never seemed to work very well as I suspect they just had a
bit of ewiire inside them.

So anyone who thinks that snake oil is a modern thing, should just
look at hisstory.
Brian

I do believe that the original snake-oil salesmen, in the Wild West,
predated TV sets!

--
Davey.

Old May 19th 17, 06:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 19/05/2017 16:03, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm sure, they probably sold hens teeth as well.
Did you know that a snake only has one lung?

Getting back on topic, I was reminded that wall mounted pictures could also
be used as aerials, though the give away was the wire down the wall.
I also rrember the naff bits of twin feeder we used to get for fm bundled
with quite high end tuners and all of that junk. No chance of it working
very well most of the time!

Twin feeder? Looxury! usually just a single wire a couple of feet long.

--
Max Demian
Old May 19th 17, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 19/05/2017 13:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Roderick Stewart wrote:

Which reminds me of a bluetooth USB adaptor I once bought which had a
swivelling aerial made entirely from plastic. I swivelled it too far
one day and the case split in half to reveal this fact. The "aerial"
was simply an ornament containing no metal connected to anything, just
to make it look technical to the uninitiated I suppose.

I had an old calculator looking very similar to this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Big-Button-Desktop-Calculator-8-Digit-Large-School-Home-Office-Battery-Solar-/262064127116

which after about 25 years stopped working.

In the usual spirit of curiosity, I dismantled it before
disposal, only to find that it contained a button cell, with no
designed means of replacement, and what was intended to look like
a small solar panel had no functioning components whatever,
merely a printed rectangular pattern.

Didn't you notice that it continued to work when you covered the "solar
panel", or did you assume it had an additional power source, whether
rechargeable or not? (Purely solar calculators generally come on as soon
as they get enough light, with the AC button only needed if it shows a
garbled display.)

--
Max Demian
Old May 19th 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
However, I did have a Casio one that had a solar cell in one half of a
clam shell design and a tiny rechargeable inside which one supposes
allowed it to work when the light was not bright enough, at least for a
short time.

I have an obscure Casio solar only - no battery at all.

My latest is a retro Radio Shack LED calculator I found on the ground by
some recycling bins.

The Casio is allegedly a collectible, apart from that the Radio Shack is the
only one I've got with a proper on/off switch instead of a power button that
gets knocked on in my jacket pocket.

Old May 19th 17, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
I'm sure, they probably sold hens teeth as well.
Did you know that a snake only has one lung?

Getting back on topic, I was reminded that wall mounted pictures could
also be used as aerials, though the give away was the wire down the wall.
I also rrember the naff bits of twin feeder we used to get for fm bundled
with quite high end tuners and all of that junk. No chance of it working
very well most of the time!
Brian

They used to plaster the walls on wooden laths, more recently; a wire mesh
is fixed to the wall to slap the plaster on - it makes a pretty good Faraday
cage.

Old May 19th 17, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 19/05/2017 20:31, Ian Field wrote:

They used to plaster the walls on wooden laths, more recently; a wire
mesh is fixed to the wall to slap the plaster on - it makes a pretty
good Faraday cage.

My house is like that. It's 300 years old in parts, but a lot of the
outside has metal mesh with pebbledash on it.

Some of the ceilings are metal mesh too.

Andy
Old May 20th 17, 07:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

That was only on clock radios and Goodmans all in one hi fis that hummed
like crazy on the tape playback and had permanent magnet erase.
However it does seem very strange to me that in the analogue days, a ring
of springy wire on a 300 ohm terminal could pull in very watchable TV. Try
that here more than a few miles from the transmitter and it just gives up.

I've actually had better reception on a screwdriver than a loop.
One possible extra factor these days is the increase in air borne radio
interference of a wide band nature from switch mode wotsits and internet
adaptors on the mains.
I understand many radio astronomers are now complaining about crap up at
the frequencies they use.

Old May 20th 17, 07:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Max Demian wrote:

Didn't you notice that it continued to work when you covered the "solar
panel", or did you assume it had an additional power source, whether
rechargeable or not? (Purely solar calculators generally come on as soon
as they get enough light, with the AC button only needed if it shows a
garbled display.)

I was a little suspicious. At work I used a little Casio which
was truly solar (only) and it lasted for years. I seldom needed
to do sums in the dark.

I now have a very similar looking calculator to the one I
dismantled, except that it has a battery access hatch and gives
cell details. Nevertheless it still has the fake solar cells. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.