BBC iPlayer wants me to sign in. Bloody cheek.

Old May 24th 17, 10:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

Default BBC iPlayer wants me to sign in. Bloody cheek.

In article , Indy Jess John [email protected]
blueyonder.co.uk scribeth thus
On 15/05/2017 07:54, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2017 01:57:56 +0100, Andy
wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

Woody wrote:

I have had the same WAN IP address from VM for at least a couple of
years.

I suspect that's likely true for most of VM's cable connected customers,

Do they *have* any other type of customers? I thought they ditched all
their ADSL customers to another ISP a year or two back?

Yup. Me included. Tried to dump me into TT, but I chose to go to BT
instead. Not had any problems with BT, although I'm sure some would
say that was jumping from the fat into the fire!

Moving *to* BT seems to be safe enough.
But there is hearsay evidence that moving *from* BT to any other ISP
leads to intermittent poor or no connections for a couple of months
after you change.

Jim

Should think thats the other way around more like!.
--
Tony Sayer

Old May 25th 17, 06:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 24/05/2017 23:45, tony sayer wrote:
In , Indy Jess [email protected]
blueyonder.co.uk scribeth thus

Moving *to* BT seems to be safe enough.
But there is hearsay evidence that moving *from* BT to any other ISP
leads to intermittent poor or no connections for a couple of months
after you change.

Jim

Should think thats the other way around more like!.

Someone I know moved from BT to EE.
Everything worked for just over a week. Then although the telephone
still worked, the broadband didn't. (Coincidentally that was the same
day that Openreach parked a van beside the BT cabinet at the end of the
road and was working on the inside of the cabinet).
So she called EE and reported the fault. EE warned her that if the
fault was on her premises, then she would be liable to pay the Openreach
charge.

Openreach arrived two days later to check her house wiring. "Show me
how the broadband is connected" they said. So she gave them the full
guided tour:
That is the box on the wall where the line comes in.
That is the splitter provided by EE, plugged into the box.
That wire from the splitter goes to the base station for the DECT phone,
which still works.
That 18 inches of wire goes from the broadband socket on the splitter to
the hub. It was provided by EE.
That is the hub provided by EE with its lights on the front showing that
there is no broadband connection.
That is my ethernet wire from the hub to my PC.
My PC can communicate with the hub, which tells my PC that there is no
broadband connection. But clearly there is a connection from PC to hub.
Now talk me through all that set-up to explain how I can have a fault
that isn't EE's fault.

Openreach went to the cabinet at the end of the road, and all the lights
on the hub changed to the normal Broadband Available configuration.

She later rang EE and told them that Openreach didn't find a fault on
her property, they fixed the fault in the cabinet down the road, so she
wouldn't pay the Openreach charge. Despite that, EE did include the
Openreach charge on her bill, and it took her another couple of months
arguing with EE before she got it refunded.

The other, different occasion was something similar when a relative
transferred a telephone only service from BT to Talk-Talk.
Every time the phone line failed he called talk-Talk from his mobile to
report the fault. Each time, and engineer arrived; "Show me where you
have put the hub" and was completely nonplussed when told that there
isn't one, this is a phone line only and there isn't a dialling tone.
Five faults like that were experienced in the first 3 months, then
nothing went wrong since then. Coincidence?