BBC iPlayer wants me to sign in. Bloody cheek.

Old May 12th 17, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

Default BBC iPlayer wants me to sign in. Bloody cheek.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:49:45 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote as
underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information away
thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be an
answer to this problem? C+

Just create another gmail account?

More nonsense to come

how is making sure that those of us who pay the license fee don't get to
subsidise freeloaders, Nonsense?

tim

Old May 12th 17, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 12 May 2017 16:07:07 +0100
"tim..." wrote:
my recently purchased £49.00 tablet seems to have found out my location (to
the nearest postcode) from my IP address

I doubt very much, at that price, that it has a GPS chip in it (or that that
would work from inside my house with no external aerial, if it did)

I didn't tell it my location so I can see no other way, but am open to
suggestions

https://www.iplocation.net/

ISPs are assigned a block of public IP addresses and presumably somewhere
there's a database with greater granularity that says this subblock is assigned
to this geographic area.

Thats for IP4, no idea if it would work with IP6.

--
Spud

Old May 12th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Robin[_8_]

On 12/05/2017 14:19, Martin wrote:

What is wrong is the amateurish way that they are trying to do it.

Possibly. But it seems to me it would have been far worse than
amateurish to move straight to a requirement for verification of name
and address to the same standard as banks, Government Gateway etc.
Unless you know where we they are is their end destination I'd like to
wait and see.

--
Robin
Old May 12th 17, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 May 2017 13:42:43 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 12 May 2017 11:58:43 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

"Wilf" wrote in message
news On 12/05/2017 10:55 am, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:49:45 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote
as
underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good
program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information
away
thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be an
answer to this problem? C+

Just create another gmail account?

More nonsense to come
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7730251.html

I really do not understand why this is such a problem. You have to log
in
to many other facilities to make use of them.

--
Wilf

If they had only asked for the TV licence number, that would have been
fine.
That wouldn;t prove you had a licence. It could be anybody's TV licence
number.

So, what is the point of having the licence.

It can be checked if somebody has a licence by visiting an address and
asking to
see the licence.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

My current licence is assigned to my address, so no need to check if I had a
licence, it would be on their database.

Old May 12th 17, 03:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

But they announced this was going to occur when the law was passed about the
tv licence covering online content. I recall it. How else are they going to
know if you have one? Name and post code you can opt out of email claptrap.
also just in case use a disposable email. You do of ccourse have to verify
via email but they do say that if you tick the no emails they will honour
that.
Is it any worse than the ch5 and all the others. Itts better than the ad
blocker switch off rubbish we get on some sites.

"Phi" wrote in message
news
I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

Old May 12th 17, 03:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

On 12/05/2017 16:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
But they announced this was going to occur when the law was passed about the
tv licence covering online content. I recall it. How else are they going to
know if you have one? Name and post code you can opt out of email claptrap.
also just in case use a disposable email. You do of ccourse have to verify
via email but they do say that if you tick the no emails they will honour
that.

I was wondering if it might be a precursor to allowing access abroad for
legitimate UK licence holders, though I don't think that has been mentioned.

Old May 12th 17, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, sorry, but you will have to at least put your post code in or you
cannot be tied to a licence, unless they bring out an online only one via a
form online but even then how can you be sure its less secure than the
current way?
After all your isp knows where you are and presumably all that data might
get loose also. Its a question of how paranoid you are. If you are then you
need to get off line and move.
Also don't register to vote either or pay council tax etc for that matter.

"Phi" wrote in message
news

"PLC" wrote in message
On 12/05/2017 09:56, Phi wrote:

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote as
underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information away
thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be an
answer to this problem? C+

But, they want my home address to match to my IP address so they can
link my TV licence.

This is too much info.

Why? The law requires a TV licence for watchingas you wish to do. Why
should other licence payers subsidize you?

--
Peter Crosland

Reply address is valid

That's the point I have a licence, but I am not allowing my postal address
to be loose on the internet.

Old May 12th 17, 03:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

You tube?
I've never been asked to sign in there.

"pamela" wrote in message
On 20:15 11 May 2017, Phi wrote:

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good
program.

I don't mind signing in if the BBC syncs my iPlayer data on both the
telly and my Android tablet.

I'm surprised they done this. Netflix and YouTube already do it.

Old May 12th 17, 04:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Itt depends I suppose as this is presumably what other countries do already.
No doubt from the chaos removing metadata has caused and all the broken
links I moaned about over the bank holiday, they can find a way to cock that
upbig time as well then.

Old May 12th 17, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wilf[_2_]

On 12/05/2017 4:49 pm, Norman Wells wrote:

On 12/05/2017 16:46, Brian Gaff wrote:
But they announced this was going to occur when the law was passed about the
tv licence covering online content. I recall it. How else are they going to
know if you have one? Name and post code you can opt out of email claptrap.
also just in case use a disposable email. You do of ccourse have to verify
via email but they do say that if you tick the no emails they will honour
that.

I was wondering if it might be a precursor to allowing access abroad for
legitimate UK licence holders, though I don't think that has been mentioned.

Could also be a precursor to access to more or all of the entire library
of programmes, however old, rather than just the past 30 days or so.

--
Wilf