BBC iPlayer wants me to sign in. Bloody cheek.

Old May 12th 17, 11:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default BBC iPlayer wants me to sign in. Bloody cheek.

On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:06:43 +0100, PLC wrote:

But, they want my home address to match to my IP address so they can
link my TV licence.

This is too much info.

Why? The law requires a TV licence for watchingas you wish to do. Why
should other licence payers subsidize you?

I don't think the objection here is to do with paying the licence,
just with giving the BBC too much personal info.

Old May 12th 17, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Wilf" wrote in message
news
On 12/05/2017 10:55 am, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:49:45 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote as
underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information away
thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be an
answer to this problem? C+

Just create another gmail account?

More nonsense to come
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7730251.html

I really do not understand why this is such a problem. You have to log in
to many other facilities to make use of them.

--
Wilf

If they had only asked for the TV licence number, that would have been fine.

Old May 12th 17, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Phi wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/05/2017 09:56, Phi wrote:

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote
as underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information
away thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be
an answer to this problem? C+

But, they want my home address to match to my IP address so they can
link my TV licence.

This is too much info.

There's no way to match your IP address to your home address except by
your ISP - and that will usually change each time you connect.

-- Max Demian

When I connect to their site they can read my IP address, so if I add my
name, postal address, gender and age they have all the info that
describes me.

but many ISP addresses change each time you log on

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old May 12th 17, 12:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Wilf[_2_]

On 12/05/2017 1:08 pm, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 12 May 2017 11:09:27 +0100, Wilf wrote:

On 12/05/2017 10:55 am, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:49:45 +0100, Charlie+ wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote as
underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information away
thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be an
answer to this problem? C+

Just create another gmail account?

More nonsense to come
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a7730251.html

I really do not understand why this is such a problem. You have to log
in to many other facilities to make use of them.

because the idea that a user name password guarantees that only those with a TV
licence can access iPlayer is ********. If it was so simple Sky and other cable
companies would use user name passwords instead of using subscription cards.

Nevertheless, I don't see what's wrong with wanting to authenticate its
users. The service is far from free and I can't imagine anyone moaning
about having to be authenticated for access to Sky, Netflix, or whatever.

--
Wilf
Old May 12th 17, 12:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Max Demian wrote:

But, they want my home address to match to my IP address so they can
link my TV licence.

This is too much info.

There's no way to match your IP address to your home address except by
your ISP - and that will usually change each time you connect.

That was my thought also, not to mention that it's trivial to hide the
IP from which you are connecting.

--
Chris Green
·

Old May 12th 17, 01:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"charles" wrote in message
In article , Phi wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/05/2017 09:56, Phi wrote:

"Charlie+" wrote in message
[...]

I have a static IP address.

Old May 12th 17, 01:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 May 2017 11:58:43 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

"Wilf" wrote in message
[...]

That wouldn;t prove you had a licence. It could be anybody's TV licence
number.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

So, what is the point of having the licence.

Old May 12th 17, 03:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 May 2017 10:06:43 +0100, PLC wrote:

But, they want my home address to match to my IP address so they can
link my TV licence.

This is too much info.

Why? The law requires a TV licence for watchingas you wish to do. Why
should other licence payers subsidize you?

I don't think the objection here is to do with paying the licence,
just with giving the BBC too much personal info.

and what do you think that the BBC are going to do with it?

other than check that you are licensed to receive the service (and probably
not even that)

you are being paranoid

tim

Old May 12th 17, 03:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/05/2017 09:56, Phi wrote:

"Charlie+" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 May 2017 19:15:35 -0000, "Phi" wrote as
underneath :

I will have to find another way to watch the occasional good program.

I believe there are suppliers of free valid email addresses to spoof
into such websites without having to give your private information away
thus ending up on email lists sold to all and sundry... Might be an
answer to this problem? C+

But, they want my home address to match to my IP address so they can
link my TV licence.

This is too much info.

There's no way to match your IP address to your home address except by
your ISP - and that will usually change each time you connect.

my recently purchased £49.00 tablet seems to have found out my location (to
the nearest postcode) from my IP address

I doubt very much, at that price, that it has a GPS chip in it (or that that
would work from inside my house with no external aerial, if it did)

I didn't tell it my location so I can see no other way, but am open to
suggestions

tim