Doctor Who audio

Old May 7th 17, 08:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

Default Doctor Who audio

On Sun, 07 May 2017 08:43:56 +0100, pamela wrote:

There was a JVC record called adventures in binaural. I have it
somewhere. The big snag is that if you physically move your head
during listening you lose the effect.

I went to an ambisonics demo many years ago, and that was quite
good. However, it was using six speakers not phones obviously.

Brian

The Beeb have a research project to study how to electronically
compensate for head movement while listening to binaural sound on
headphones.

Early photographers had a method for dealing with head movement...

Old May 7th 17, 09:45 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Well I listened to it last night - and it was appalling.

The surround effect of thunder claps were loud and effective - but
thunder sound does seem to have some directivity to it in real life
and this did not.

Some of the sound effects - like creaking floors - were good but again
sounded as though they were in an echo chamber with no solid
positioning.

Worst of all the speech - apart from being mumbled and on many
occassions inaudible - was almost all centred, i.e. effectively mono.
The position of the person on screen bore not relationship whatsoever
to the sound source position.

I really don't know why they bothered.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 7th 17, 10:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 07/05/2017 09:45, Brian Gaff wrote:
Here is one for you. I have no idea of the skin colour or ethnicity of
anyone on TV unless its actually mentioned. Sometimes the name is a clue,
but to be honest I have no interest. The only interest I have is in the odd
views expressed by some people.

That might be regarded as culturally insensitive. I often don't notice a
person's ethnicity unless it's obvious. I didn't notice 'Bill's' colour
straight away. (BTW, she revealed that she prefers girls to boys in last
night's edition. Whoopido!)

--
Max Demian
Old May 7th 17, 11:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Sun, 7 May 2017 09:45:46 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Here is one for you. I have no idea of the skin colour or ethnicity of
anyone on TV unless its actually mentioned. Sometimes the name is a clue,
but to be honest I have no interest. The only interest I have is in the odd
views expressed by some people.
Dr who is after all just a story, its not meant to be real, or do you have
a Police box in your garden?
Brian

https://academic.oup.com/jpubhealth/.../2/181/1549425

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 7th 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 07/05/17 10:45, Woody wrote:
Well I listened to it last night - and it was appalling.

The surround effect of thunder claps were loud and effective - but
thunder sound does seem to have some directivity to it in real life
and this did not.

Some of the sound effects - like creaking floors - were good but again
sounded as though they were in an echo chamber with no solid
positioning.

Worst of all the speech - apart from being mumbled and on many
occassions inaudible - was almost all centred, i.e. effectively mono.
The position of the person on screen bore not relationship whatsoever
to the sound source position.

I really don't know why they bothered.

I listened to it on "ordinary" TV as usual. But I found the sound was
very poor. It was hard to understand what was being said. In the end, I
found I had to turn off the AV amp with large speakers, and revert to
the inbuilt speakers and their (usually) poor sound. I don't know why
the sound was better that way. As soon as Dr Who finished, the sound was
much clearer and I went back to the AV amp.

--

Jeff
Old May 7th 17, 01:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 7 May 2017 11:32:56 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

Here is one for you. I have no idea of the skin colour or ethnicity of
anyone on TV unless its actually mentioned. Sometimes the name is a clue,
but to be honest I have no interest. The only interest I have is in the odd
views expressed by some people.

That might be regarded as culturally insensitive. I often don't notice a
person's ethnicity unless it's obvious. I didn't notice 'Bill's' colour
straight away. (BTW, she revealed that she prefers girls to boys in last
night's edition. Whoopido!)

I think her preference for girls has been made apparent from the
start. When I can be bothered to think about it at all (generally only
when prompted by another mention of the fact in the show or in some
newspaper article) I struggle to think what on earth it can possibly
be considered to have to do with the plot of a sci-fi drama. It just
seems like an irrelevance that's part of somebody's private agenda.

Old May 7th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 07/05/2017 14:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I think her preference for girls has been made apparent from the
start. When I can be bothered to think about it at all (generally only
when prompted by another mention of the fact in the show or in some
newspaper article) I struggle to think what on earth it can possibly
be considered to have to do with the plot of a sci-fi drama. It just
seems like an irrelevance that's part of somebody's private agenda.

That's exactly what it is. The BBC inserts such things into everything
they do. They're trying to brainwash us.

Old May 7th 17, 03:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Sun, 07 May 2017 16:29:39 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/05/2017 14:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I think her preference for girls has been made apparent from the start.
When I can be bothered to think about it at all (generally only when
prompted by another mention of the fact in the show or in some
newspaper article) I struggle to think what on earth it can possibly be
considered to have to do with the plot of a sci-fi drama. It just seems
like an irrelevance that's part of somebody's private agenda.

That's exactly what it is. The BBC inserts such things into everything
they do. They're trying to brainwash us.

Into what? Tolerance of others?

Old May 7th 17, 03:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bob" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sun, 07 May 2017 16:29:39 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/05/2017 14:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I think her preference for girls has been made apparent from the
start.
When I can be bothered to think about it at all (generally only
when
prompted by another mention of the fact in the show or in some
newspaper article) I struggle to think what on earth it can
possibly be
considered to have to do with the plot of a sci-fi drama. It just
seems
like an irrelevance that's part of somebody's private agenda.

That's exactly what it is. The BBC inserts such things into
everything
they do. They're trying to brainwash us.

Into what? Tolerance of others?

No that LGBT is normal and hetrosexual is the oddity.

I'll just get my flameproof suit.......

Old May 7th 17, 04:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On Sun, 07 May 2017 16:50:23 +0100, Woody wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sun, 07 May 2017 16:29:39 +0100, Bill Wright wrote:

On 07/05/2017 14:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I think her preference for girls has been made apparent from the
start.
When I can be bothered to think about it at all (generally only when
prompted by another mention of the fact in the show or in some
newspaper article) I struggle to think what on earth it can possibly
be considered to have to do with the plot of a sci-fi drama. It just
seems like an irrelevance that's part of somebody's private agenda.

That's exactly what it is. The BBC inserts such things into everything
they do. They're trying to brainwash us.

Into what? Tolerance of others?

No that LGBT is normal

It is

and hetrosexual is the oddity.