The bells

Old May 5th 17, 02:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The bells

When you hear the chimes of Westminster on the news at the start, I presume
this is a recording is it. They would need some very good timings otherwise,
which begs the question of the recent news that the clock mechanism is
going to be serviced along with the clock faces and the rest of the building
in stages. so when they take the mechanism out of service, do they have a
set of speakers or something to retain the chimes?

Old May 5th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
When you hear the chimes of Westminster on the news at the start, I
presume this is a recording is it. They would need some very good timings
otherwise, which begs the question of the recent news that the clock
mechanism is going to be serviced along with the clock faces and the rest
of the building in stages. so when they take the mechanism out of
service, do they have a set of speakers or something to retain the
chimes? Brian

When I worked at TV Centre ther was a permanent feed of "Big Ben" coming
into the building. Everything was timed to the nearest second anyway, but
there was "grams" recording available for emergencies.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old May 10th 17, 09:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes, but I imagine the one itv use is a recording.

I'm rather intrigued how they might be able to work on the clock yet still
allow it to chime without ear damage or something else.
Brian

Maybe replace it with a digital clock and a little bleepy thing.

Old May 11th 17, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes, but I imagine the one itv use is a recording.

I'm rather intrigued how they might be able to work on the clock
yet still
allow it to chime without ear damage or something else.
Brian

The bells are in another part of the tower from the clock.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 11th 17, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Woody" wrote in message
news

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news Yes, but I imagine the one itv use is a recording.

I'm rather intrigued how they might be able to work on the clock yet
still
allow it to chime without ear damage or something else.
Brian

The bells are in another part of the tower from the clock.

I didn't know that. I imagined that they would be immediately above or below
the clock mechanism and face, for ease of transferring the mechanical action
from the clock's chiming mechanism to each of the bells. Or is there a
separate, autonomous chiming mechanism which handles the chiming of the
various bells in sequence and just needs a single stimulus (eg via a single
control rod) from the clock to begin it?