Adverts click and collect etc

Old May 3rd 17, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Adverts click and collect etc

Have you noticed that many tv commercials now only give web addresses for
info?
Also when a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need to
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store. this seems a strange
route to go in on underwear and shoes as these are things people ooften need
to see in real life or try on.
The world has gone completely hatstand.

Old May 3rd 17, 09:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need to
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store.

I think they outsourced all their customer services to crapita, maybe
their stocktaking is going the same way?

Old May 3rd 17, 10:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores

They save a lot of money by not having a full stock in every shop.

And I'm sure they know the opportunity cost of missing out on impulse
purchases.
Old May 3rd 17, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 03/05/17 10:08, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they
need to
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store.

I think they outsourced all their customer services to crapita, maybe
their stocktaking is going the same way?

Supplier 'drop ships' to store, and avoids the logistics mess of failed
deliveries at the customer's premises. Store gains as the customer might
on a pickup visit stop to buy further accessories. And more store space
is available to advertise stock, some of that space rented to the
supplier to advertise etc....

The only stores where they should always have off the shelf stock, is
the "out of town" warehouse branch - the concept of "have it now"
shopping that started originally in the early 70s with Comet. The
alternative (at least for tech, then) was a cheque in the post and a
promise of 28 days...

--
Adrian C
Old May 3rd 17, 02:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

But they lose sales cos the punter goes round the corner to a shop which
does have some stock and buys it there instead.
What is the point of a big store if its not a place you can look at real
things friirst. Might as well call them all Argos.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 May 2017 10:08:55 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store.

I think they outsourced all their customer services to crapita, maybe
their stocktaking is going the same way?

They save a lot of money by not having a full stock in every shop.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old May 3rd 17, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The point is that this store was used by a lot of people as they actually
had people who knew their stock and would let you try it out. It is
certainly needed for things like TVs but also for smaller items as I
mentioned in the first place.

The point is that the whole idea is to generate that quaintly named
'footfall' in shopping areas, and if people cannot look at stuff why bother
to go there at all?

On 2017-05-03, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store.

I think they outsourced all their customer services to crapita,

Not all of it.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 50th day of Discord in the YOLD 3183
Celebrate Discoflux

Old May 3rd 17, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 03 May 2017 17:09:36 +0200, Martin wrote:

The point is that the whole idea is to generate that quaintly named
'footfall' in shopping areas, and if people cannot look at stuff why bother
to go there at all?

I don't.

I don't much care for actual shopping in a shop either, but for some
types of purchase there isn't really any alternative. Frinstance, my
computer chair has been leaking a lot of oil recently and descends
several inches with a hiss whenever I sit on it, so it'll need
replacing soon. There are lots I could order online, but I'll probably
just go to the local Staples (or whatever it's called now) and pick
the best of whatever they've got in the shop, because the only way to
judge a chair is by sitting on it. I'm not sure if "footfall" is the
right word for this though.

Old May 3rd 17, 08:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

On 2017-05-03, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 3 May 2017 11:57:44 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores

They save a lot of money by not having a full stock in every shop.

And I'm sure they know the opportunity cost of missing out on impulse
purchases.

and the number of men who hate wasting time shopping.

I've bought three pairs of shoes by mail order. I used the size from a
pair made
by the same maker, that I bought in a shoe shop more than 15 years ago.

I loathe shopping, but shoes are one of the things I do not buy mail
order,
despite wearing the same style (*) for over 40 years. You never know if
they've
altered them in some way (other than changing the name).

(* Clark's "Active Air", previously known as "Polyveldt".)

That happened with the M&S shoes I'd worn for about 15yrs. Suddenly found I
couldn't get an 8.5 on, and a 9 was tight on the toes.

Switched brand and 8.5 fit well.

I do find this trend for pointy toes on men's shoes tiresome though, I like
a bit of wiggle room! Never mind expect it'll change in a year or two.

James

Old May 3rd 17, 08:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
[...]

We had ours refitted with a new gas lift for something ridiculous like 15.

Which I was pleased about, as it's a nice computer chair, and was quite
expensive when we bought it.

James