Adverts click and collect etc

Old May 4th 17, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

Default Adverts click and collect etc

On 03/05/2017 09:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have you noticed that many tv commercials now only give web addresses for
info?
Also when a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they need to
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store. this seems a strange
route to go in on underwear and shoes as these are things people ooften need
to see in real life or try on.
The world has gone completely hatstand.
Brian

The store probably stocks the most popular size for you to check the
quality. I know of no shop that allows you to try on underwear!

Old May 4th 17, 08:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 03/05/2017 15:11, Huge wrote:

in a shoe shop more than 15 years ago.

I loathe shopping, but shoes are one of the things I do not buy mail order,
despite wearing the same style (*) for over 40 years. You never know if they've
altered them in some way (other than changing the name).

I take a wide fitting and when I found a pair on the web that on
delivery were at a reasonable cost and quality I ordered 6 more pairs
the same day.

Old May 4th 17, 08:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 03/05/2017 21:56, James Heaton wrote:

I do find this trend for pointy toes on men's shoes tiresome though, I
like a bit of wiggle room! Never mind expect it'll change in a year or
two.

Pointy clown shoes seem to have remained in 'fashion' in main stream
shoe retailers for the last 10 years!

Old May 4th 17, 08:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 03/05/2017 20:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:

because the only way to
judge a chair is by sitting on it.

For a computer/office type chair you also need to up-end it to see the
quality of construction around the seat and hydraulic strut. Avoid the
ones were the metal supporting the seat is no thicker than baco-foil.
You will find models with a few tack welds whereas others have a more
substantial solid/long weld. Some seats are only held with a few short
self tapping screws into paper thin plywood whereas others use bolts
into seats with incorporated 'hank bushes' Price is often no indication
of quality.

Old May 4th 17, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 04 May 2017 11:47:08 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 03 May 2017 23:40:22 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Wed, 03 May 2017 17:05:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's not just space but cost. Why have 50 shops with the full range of
makes, sizes and styles in stock, when you can have them all in one
depot.

I have "odd" feet due to having had polio when I was small child. If I
can get shoes that fit via mail order anybody can. You do need to use
a maker whose shoe sizes are consistent, like Clarks or ECCO.

I don't know what the problem is with underwear. I've never tried on
underwear before buying :-)

It's not really an option for mere mortals is it? I guess you'd have to
be some sort of super hero to get away with a stunt like that.

Somebody who wears XXXXL W-fronts, or Y-fronts over his trousers? :-)

Well, I was thinking of someone like "Superman"(tm) well known for his
habit of wearing red underpants over blue tights (or is it a onesie?). :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 4th 17, 11:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 04 May 2017 21:14:05 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 03/05/2017 09:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have you noticed that many tv commercials now only give web addresses
for info?
Also when a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the
initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores they
need to go on line and then they can pick it up from the store. this
seems a strange route to go in on underwear and shoes as these are
things people ooften need to see in real life or try on.
The world has gone completely hatstand.
Brian

The store probably stocks the most popular size for you to check the
quality. I know of no shop that allows you to try on underwear!

Well, quite frankly, I wouldn't *want* to know any shop that would allow
such customer behaviour.

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 7th 17, 07:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Martin wrote:

I bought my last pair of Clarks shoes in a shop about 15 years ago. I
bought two
identical pairs at the same time. I only wore one pair. Some months
ago the glue
broke down and the top became detached from the base/sole. I was
pleased that I
had bought and identical second pair until the top detached from the
sole a few
days after I started wearing them.

Last time I tried that trick with Ecco shoes, the heel on the stored
pair had gone all sticky and disintegrated totally within a couple of
days of starting to wear them.

That's happened to several of my wife's shoes. I think the problem is
the solvents leaching out of the rubber and glue, then being unable to
dissipate into the air - and that the way to avoid it might be NOT to
store the 'spare' pair in a shoe box or similar container where there is
virtually no air circulation.

--
Ian