Adverts click and collect etc

Old May 3rd 17, 11:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default Adverts click and collect etc

On Wed, 03 May 2017 17:05:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's not just space but cost. Why have 50 shops with the full range of
makes, sizes and styles in stock, when you can have them all in one
depot.

I have "odd" feet due to having had polio when I was small child. If I
can get shoes that fit via mail order anybody can. You do need to use a
maker whose shoe sizes are consistent, like Clarks or ECCO.

I don't what the problem is with underwear. I've never tried on
underwear before buying :-)

It's not really an option for mere mortals is it? I guess you'd have to
be some sort of super hero to get away with a stunt like that.

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 4th 17, 06:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"James Heaton" wrote in message
news

On 2017-05-03, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 3 May 2017 11:57:44 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the
initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores

They save a lot of money by not having a full stock in every
shop.

And I'm sure they know the opportunity cost of missing out on
impulse
purchases.

and the number of men who hate wasting time shopping.

I've bought three pairs of shoes by mail order. I used the size
from a pair made
by the same maker, that I bought in a shoe shop more than 15 years
ago.

I loathe shopping, but shoes are one of the things I do not buy
mail order,
despite wearing the same style (*) for over 40 years. You never
know if they've
altered them in some way (other than changing the name).

(* Clark's "Active Air", previously known as "Polyveldt".)

That happened with the M&S shoes I'd worn for about 15yrs. Suddenly
found I couldn't get an 8.5 on, and a 9 was tight on the toes.

Switched brand and 8.5 fit well.

I do find this trend for pointy toes on men's shoes tiresome though,
I like a bit of wiggle room! Never mind expect it'll change in a
year or two.

I used to wear DMs for work - probably some of the most comfortable
and hard wearing shoes I ever had, but about 15 years ago they
suddenly decided to become modern and reduced the width dramatically
such that I couldn't get them on. I normally have to wear 11's to get
the width in a G fitting, but I really only need 10's which I can
easily wear in an H (Clark's extra wide fitting) in comfort.

One thing I have been doing for some years now is to buy only Goretex
lined shoes mainly Clark's and I find that not only are they better
for walking but my feet are in better condition as well.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old May 4th 17, 09:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 3 May 2017 21:57:46 +0100, "James Heaton"
wrote:

The point is that the whole idea is to generate that quaintly named
'footfall' in shopping areas, and if people cannot look at stuff why
bother
to go there at all?

I don't.

I don't much care for actual shopping in a shop either, but for some
types of purchase there isn't really any alternative. Frinstance, my
computer chair has been leaking a lot of oil recently and descends
several inches with a hiss whenever I sit on it, so it'll need
replacing soon. There are lots I could order online, but I'll probably
just go to the local Staples (or whatever it's called now) and pick
the best of whatever they've got in the shop, because the only way to
judge a chair is by sitting on it. I'm not sure if "footfall" is the
right word for this though.

We had ours refitted with a new gas lift for something ridiculous like 15.

Which I was pleased about, as it's a nice computer chair, and was quite
expensive when we bought it.

That might be feasible with a known brand from a recognised outlet,
but I can't even remember when I bought his one it was so long ago, or
who I bought it from, because it was a cheap deal from a trader at a
computer fair. (Do they still have those anywhere?) If the gas lift
was the only thing wrong, it might be worth investigating, but the
seat padding has become a bit spartan from having been compressed for
many years, and it's not very comfy now even with a cushion. And it
creaks. It's been useful for many years, but I think it's time for it
to go.

Old May 4th 17, 09:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

I bought my last pair of Clarks shoes in a shop about 15 years ago. I bought two
identical pairs at the same time. I only wore one pair. Some months ago the glue
broke down and the top became detached from the base/sole. I was pleased that I
had bought and identical second pair until the top detached from the sole a few
days after I started wearing them.

Last time I tried that trick with Ecco shoes, the heel on the stored
pair had gone all sticky and disintegrated totally within a couple of
days of starting to wear them.

Old May 4th 17, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Martin wrote:

That's cheered me up. I have two pairs of Ecco shoes and a pair of Ecco hiking
sandals. The strap wears out long before the sole on Ecco sandals.

This was 15 years ago, maybe they've changed since then, but there
seemed to be a lot of it about, particularly with shoes that had hardly
been worn ...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ecco+shoes+sticky+crumbly+rubber
Old May 4th 17, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 03/05/2017 21:56, James Heaton wrote:

That happened with the M&S shoes I'd worn for about 15yrs. Suddenly found I
couldn't get an 8.5 on, and a 9 was tight on the toes.

Switched brand and 8.5 fit well.

I always used to buy size 9.5 shoes.
Nowadays I usually have to buy size 10. Nevertheless, the pair of old
shoes I have left, size 9.5, are still wearable and comfortable.

What has happened in the interim is that modern shoes are now in EU
sizes translated into UK sizes, and EU size 43 translates into UK sizes
from 8.5 to 10 depending on which manufacturer does the conversion and
whether it is for men's or women's shoes. Similarly EU size 44 is
anything between 9 and 10.5. Whoever did the conversion for any
particular range of shoes has used one of a number of conversion tables,
with the outcome that there is no longer any standard shoe size for any
given UK size.

Old May 4th 17, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 09:26:32 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have you noticed that many tv commercials now only give web addresses for
info?
Also when a friend of mine went into a famous large stor with the initials
JL recently was told that little stock was now kept at stores

Depends which one. One near me has a substantial warehouse and collection desk with a separate entrance.

they need to
go on line and then they can pick it up from the store. this seems a strange
route to go in on underwear

Nowhere lets you try on underwear and return it unwanted.

and shoes as these are things people often need
to see in real life or try on.
The world has gone completely hatstand.

Old May 4th 17, 03:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 May 2017 21:57:46 +0100, "James Heaton"
wrote:

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 03 May 2017 17:09:36 +0200, Martin wrote:

[...]

I ddin;t know you could do that. Is there a place where you can buy gas
lifts?
Our local council rubbish place is full of office chairs needing new gas
lifts.
--

We rung up the supplier, a well-known office equipment supplier in Norwich
imaginatively named Norwich Office Supplies... Still what they didn't spend

Not only did they have the sale still on file, they had the parts in, and
fitted us into the repairman's rounds. Just checked the Money file and it
was 15+Vat

James

Old May 4th 17, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 May 2017 16:38:20 +0100, "James Heaton"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
m...

We had ours refitted with a new gas lift for something ridiculous like
15.

I ddin;t know you could do that. Is there a place where you can buy gas
lifts?
Our local council rubbish place is full of office chairs needing new gas
lifts.
--

We rung up the supplier, a well-known office equipment supplier in Norwich
imaginatively named Norwich Office Supplies... Still what they didn't
spend
on marketing they obviously invested in efficient customer service.

Not only did they have the sale still on file, they had the parts in, and
fitted us into the repairman's rounds. Just checked the Money file and it
was 15+Vat

There's a fortune to be made by someone.
--

Not all chairs can be repaired. I got one from Freecycle with an erratic
lift, but it was welded in. I bodged it by fitting a metal tube round it to