I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

Old May 8th 17, 03:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

Default I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

On 2017-05-08, Martin wrote:

Miley Cyrus is a respected musician and Kym Kardashian a world-wide
authority on theoretical physics.)

Miley who?

From what I have seen of Ms Kardashian she seems to be a skilled engineer
to support such enormous off-centre weight distribution. There must be
some physics involved - mass, gravity...
Old May 8th 17, 04:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bob[_12_]

On 2017-05-08, Martin wrote:

Miley Cyrus is a respected musician and Kym Kardashian a world-wide
authority on theoretical physics.)

Miley who?

I believe she advertises herself as a "singer".

I googled - something to do with a wrecking ball!?!
Old May 9th 17, 01:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Mon, 08 May 2017 10:01:50 +0100, brightside S9 wrote:

On Sun, 7 May 2017 21:09:36 +0100, "NY" wrote:

It was only fairly recently that I learned that "crap" as a verb meaning
"defecate" (and as an adjective meaning "very poor quality") is *not* a
back-formation from Thomas Crapper's name (ie as if "crapper" was "a
person who craps"). Instead, according to my dictionary (*), it is
middle English,
from Dutch "krappe" meaning "chaff or refuse from fat-boiling". So
"crap" entered the English language before Thomas Crapper's invention,
which makes his one of the most appropriate surnames ever :-)

I wonder how many people are still using the surname today, and how many
have Bowdlerised it to something a bit less mirth-provoking.

A quick scan of England and Wales GRO records from 1900 to 2005 show
3765 births registered with that surname. However the Crapper surname
registrations are reducing as the years go by.
1900-1920 1153 1921-1941 862 1942-1962 715 1963- 1983 607 1894-2004 428
With only14 refistered births in 2005

That's a rather unfortunate "F 'n' G" typo in this particular case. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 9th 17, 06:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:05:12 -0500, Bob wrote:

Miley Cyrus is a respected musician and Kym Kardashian a world-wide
authority on theoretical physics.)

Miley who?

I believe she advertises herself as a "singer".

I googled - something to do with a wrecking ball!?!

Whoever she is, judging by what has been reported about her in the
various newspapers' websites, notably that of the Daily Mail, her
special skills appear to be dominated by the ability to waggle her bum
and stick her tongue out while not wearing very much. It was during
the now obligatory media "outrage" that results whenever anybody does
anything conspicuous these days that one of the papers reported her as
claiming to have made history. Somehow I think it's unlikely they'll
ever be teaching this particular bit of history in schools.

Old May 10th 17, 06:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 09 May 2017 10:21:12 +0200, Martin wrote:

If 50 million users of Win10 isn't popular what is?

There are several meanings for "popular", but if you mean this one-

"7. a. Favoured or admired by the people or by a particular group of
people; pleasing, liked. E17".

Then this is not necessarily what is indicated by sheer numbers when
we are talking about a computer operating system about which most
people effectively have no choice.

There is plenty of choice nowadays Android, Linux for example.

For the people who would obtain a computer by buying one in a shop,
which means most people, there's effectively nothing but Windows or
Mac, which, once they've seen the prices, means nothing but Windows.

If you just want to talk about numbers, then "ubiquitous" might be a
better choice of word.

What word would you apply to Linux as a PC OS? Niche?

Why not? That's the truth. I'm not sure of the exact figure, but it's
probably well under 5%. It's certainly nowhere near enough to qualify
as "favoured or admired by the people of a particular group", assuming
that the group we are talking about is computer users.

Old May 10th 17, 09:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 10 May 2017 12:08:28 +0200, Martin wrote:

If 50 million users of Win10 isn't popular what is?

There are several meanings for "popular", but if you mean this one-

"7. a. Favoured or admired by the people or by a particular group of
people; pleasing, liked. E17".

Then this is not necessarily what is indicated by sheer numbers when
we are talking about a computer operating system about which most
people effectively have no choice.

There is plenty of choice nowadays Android, Linux for example.

For the people who would obtain a computer by buying one in a shop,
which means most people, there's effectively nothing but Windows or
Mac, which, once they've seen the prices, means nothing but Windows.

There's no shortage of magazines with free copies of Linux on the cover.

Agreed, and there is no shortage of websites from which you can
download the most recent up to the minute versions, but most people
would be daunted by the need to install it themselves, if they've even
heard of it. If you wanted to buy a computer, rather than building it
yourself, which for most people would be the only option worth
considering, you'd just go to a computer shop and see what they had in
stock. They would not be running Linux. Probably not even one.

Old May 11th 17, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

A few quotes back up there it said "...plenty of choice nowadays
Android, Linux for example."

There certainly *are* Android based systems you can simply buy
off-the-shelf nowadays, and they're not just phones and tablets.
There are lots of diddy laptops/netbooks which run Android.

--
Chris Green
·
Old May 11th 17, 11:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 10 May 2017 22:41:40 UTC+1, Roderick Stewart wrote:
[...]

Rod.

Indeed. I did build this computer myself in late 2014. Not too hard. The tricky bits were updating the BIOS before installing the OS.

W8.1pro was fairly painless and took around half an hour to install - a big improvement on XP and NT that I had previously installed, although obviously the new machine was a lot faster than previous ones.
Old May 11th 17, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 11 May 2017 09:25:36 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I'm not disputing that these alternatives exist, but the last time I
strolled round PC World, I didn't see a single one. I still maintain
that for the average punter, hundreds of millions of them, purchasing
a computer (meaning a proper desktop PC, not a tablet or phone) means
a trip to a place like PC World and ending up with something running
Windows. The choice is between that or building it yourself, which for
most people is effectively no choice at all. It's a bit sad but that's
the way it is.