I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

Old May 5th 17, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

On 05/05/2017 05:05, Bill Wright wrote:
On 04/05/2017 13:11, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 04/05/2017 12:07, NY wrote:

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?

Not for toilet per se, but it does sort of lead to "**** House"

but why Nobby Clark? Was there once a famous person called Nobby Clark?

He was a 1950s / 1960s footballer.
He was christened Norbert Clark, but commentators on the radio always
called him Nobby. He scored goals playing for England.

I would guess that is a bit before your time.

Jim

My science teacher, Mr Nobby Clark, told me that it was something to do
with monks who wrote letters for people and got callouses on their
hands. Dunno if he made it up.

If he did, he's made it into Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby

though that gives other possible derivations too.

Old May 5th 17, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/05/2017 09:05, Norman Wells wrote:

My science teacher, Mr Nobby Clark, told me that it was something to do
with monks who wrote letters for people and got callouses on their
hands. Dunno if he made it up.

If he did, he's made it into Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby

though that gives other possible derivations too.

I suppose Wiki gets it from somewhere and he would no doubt have got it
from somewhere else and the somewhere and the somewhere else probably
got it from another place that got it from a man in an ale house.

Old May 5th 17, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/05/2017 09:36, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 4 May 2017 21:32:34 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 03/05/2017 22:05, Scott wrote:
There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

My kids were at school with Kimberley Clarke and Dean Martin.

Nowadays kids called Chardonnay and Proseco are two a penny. There's probably a
few Beaujolais Nouveau about too.

I heard a woman screaming "Pilot come and get your tea!"

Old May 5th 17, 02:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:
On 03/05/2017 22:05, Scott wrote:
There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

My kids were at school with Kimberley Clarke and Dean Martin.

Nowadays kids called Chardonnay and Proseco are two a penny. There's
probably a few Beaujolais Nouveau about too.

I heard a woman screaming "Pilot come and get your tea!"

You sure it wasn't "Pillock, come and get your tea"?

Old May 5th 17, 08:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 05/05/2017 14:01, Norman Wells wrote:

You sure it wasn't "Pillock, come and get your tea"?

Oh, I suppose it could have been.

bill
Old May 6th 17, 12:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , R.
Mark Clayton scribeth thus
On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 22:05:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:41:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

SNIP

There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

This was a joke by Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias told at UMU - "I bought some
smack last week, but it was half cut with Harpic - sent me clean round the
bend..."

You don't mean that mad lot who were gigging around 1975 ish?..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHocsYyKMLQ
--
Tony Sayer

Old May 6th 17, 09:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Saturday, 6 May 2017 00:56:23 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , R.
Mark Clayton scribeth thus
On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 22:05:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:41:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

SNIP

There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

This was a joke by Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias told at UMU - "I bought some
smack last week, but it was half cut with Harpic - sent me clean round the
bend..."

You don't mean that mad lot who were gigging around 1975 ish?..

I saw them 1973 to 1975, maybe a bit later. The clip is 1977 and the line up seems to have changed a bit.

Old May 7th 17, 01:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 04 May 2017 17:55:45 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 04/05/2017 16:47, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 May 2017 13:11:16 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 04/05/2017 12:07, NY wrote:

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?
Not for toilet per se, but it does sort of lead to "**** House"

but why Nobby Clark? Was there once a famous person called Nobby Clark?

He was a 1950s / 1960s footballer.
He was christened Norbert Clark, but commentators on the radio always
called him Nobby. He scored goals playing for England.

I would guess that is a bit before your time.

Nobby Clark predates the 1950s

Wiki says
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby

Thanks for the link.
It told me I had mis-remembered Nobby Stiles.
Sorry!

Jim

The second line of the chorus (kind of) foretells both names.
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...tthathat.shtml
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 7th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On Thu, 04 May 2017 11:27:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 3 May 2017 21:55:33 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 03/05/2017 16:03, NY wrote:
When he came to ask for it back a few years later, when my sister's
children were coming to the age when they'd appreciate it, the colleague
said that he hadn't realised that it was a loan rather than a gift, and
that he'd thrown it away (not even sold or given it away) when his
children no longer played with it. Dad was *not* amused and keeps
referring to "****ty Shanks (*) and my Meccano", several decades later.

We had that with our Lego. Mum lent it to a cousin, and never saw it again.

The stuff we bought for our kids is in one of their lofts.

Perhaps this is why we have no grandchildren!

We have a similar problem with Lego, but we have four grandchildren.

I had Betta Bilda from Woolworth's which was cheaper, and in several
ways better than Lego, but my mum still threw it out without asking
me.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old May 7th 17, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

On 04/05/2017 12:07, NY wrote:

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?
Not for toilet per se, but it does sort of lead to "**** House"

but why Nobby Clark? Was there once a famous person called Nobby Clark?

He was a 1950s / 1960s footballer.
He was christened Norbert Clark, but commentators on the radio always
called him Nobby. He scored goals playing for England.

I would guess that is a bit before your time.

Nobby Clark predates the 1950s

Wiki says
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby

Thanks for the link.
It told me I had mis-remembered Nobby Stiles.
Sorry!

Jim

The second line of the chorus (kind of) foretells both names.
http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/so...tthathat.shtml

Nobby as an adjective translates to "posh" where I grew up. :-)