I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

Old May 4th 17, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default I'm still annoyed about this, 45 years later

On Wednesday, 3 May 2017 22:05:12 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 03 May 2017 18:41:01 +0200, Martin wrote:

SNIP

There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

This was a joke by Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias told at UMU - "I bought some smack last week, but it was half cut with Harpic - sent me clean round the bend..."

Old May 4th 17, 10:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 May 2017 23:31:50 GMT, Johnny B Good
wrote:

On Wed, 03 May 2017 22:20:51 +0100, NY wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 May 2017 16:03:26 +0100, "NY" wrote:
... "****ty Shanks" (*)

(*) Given that the company Armitage Shanks is a major manufacturer of
porcelain goods such as toilet bowls, what other nickname would you
give someone you hated whose surname was Shanks? :-)

I was in digs belonging to somebody who referred to his neighbour as
**** House Fowler.

Hmmm. I'm sure I *ought* to be able to make the connection between "****
House" and "Fowler" but for the moment my brain has gone on strike.
Enlighten me!

Try alternative spellings! :-)

Very good. That is possibly a mystery solved after 55 years. :-)

I must be very thick because I can't see any alternative spelling of
"Fowler" that would immediately make me think of "**** House", toilet,
lavatory, loo, etc, apart from a very weak fowl/foul pun.

We keep very quiet about the fact that my great grandma's maiden name was
Crapper...

Old May 4th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Martin" wrote in message
I must be very thick because I can't see any alternative spelling of
"Fowler" that would immediately make me think of "**** House", toilet,
lavatory, loo, etc, apart from a very weak fowl/foul pun.

fouler

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?

I've always wondered why people with certain surnames always end up with the
same nickname. Chalky White is fairly obvious, but why Nobby Clark? Was
there once a famous person called Nobby Clark? Or is it one of those
nicknames whose origins are shrouded in the mists of time, but "everyone"
knows that "all" Clarks are called Nobby so when you encounter a new one,
that's what you call him.

I once read a book where a character whose surname was Offen was nicknamed
"Bark". Can can you spot the derivation?

Old May 4th 17, 12:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 04/05/2017 12:07, NY wrote:

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?

Not for toilet per se, but it does sort of lead to "**** House"

but why Nobby Clark? Was there once a famous person called Nobby Clark?

He was a 1950s / 1960s footballer.
He was christened Norbert Clark, but commentators on the radio always
called him Nobby. He scored goals playing for England.

I would guess that is a bit before your time.

Old May 4th 17, 04:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 04/05/2017 16:47, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 May 2017 13:11:16 +0100, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 04/05/2017 12:07, NY wrote:

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?

Not for toilet per se, but it does sort of lead to "**** House"

but why Nobby Clark? Was there once a famous person called Nobby Clark?

He was a 1950s / 1960s footballer.
He was christened Norbert Clark, but commentators on the radio always
called him Nobby. He scored goals playing for England.

I would guess that is a bit before your time.

Nobby Clark predates the 1950s

Wiki says
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobby

Thanks for the link.
It told me I had mis-remembered Nobby Stiles.
Sorry!

Old May 4th 17, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 02/05/2017 19:13, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2017 09:17:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

A definite case of RTFM, the question is, what function did this lock
serve? Was it to stop people taking pictures of the inside of their
luggage?
Brian

Well, I'm still annoyed that my mother threw out all the boxes for my
train set in 1965.

My grandma disparaged a great many people during her final weeks in
1969, including a woman who borrowed but did not return a bit of lard so
she could fry some sausages, this being when they both lived in
Eastwood, which puts the event at pre-1906.

Old May 4th 17, 08:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 03/05/2017 15:10, Martin wrote:

My dad binned a book I bought in a second hand bookshop for 1. I saw another
copy of it in an antiquarian bookshop in York for 75. Since then I have seen it
on internet for 750.

I had a little sneaky look round a deserted Scottish croft in 1965 and
stole a 1734 book called The Life of God in the Soul of Man or The
Nature and Excellency of the Christian Religion. My dad cleared his loft
out and destroyed that book, a pile of historic newspapers, and a lot of
78 and 80rpm gramophone records.

Old May 4th 17, 08:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Funnily enough, that's a great segue into the alternative spelling hint.
You're right to choose "Fowler" as the target word. I was hinting that a
more descriptive spelling in the context was "Fouler" as in someone who
fouls something - in this case the lavatory pan with a large and stinky
turd or else simply the leaving of a foul smelling miasma for the next
occupant to contend with.

Referring to the toilet as "A Crapper" is a reference to Thomas Crapper
who invented the flush mechanism that allowed the innovative and hygienic
use of a water closet indoors minimising the generation of unpleasant
odours from lingering logs.

You can take some pride in your great grandma's maiden name of "Crapper"
due to its association with the solution rather than with the problem
implied by the name "Fowler" when prefixed with "**** House".

By rights, we all should offer a quiet "Thanks and praise be!" to Thomas
Crapper every time we lay a log in the loo. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Old May 4th 17, 08:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 03/05/2017 22:05, Scott wrote:
There was a boy at Uni callled Harpic.

My kids were at school with Kimberley Clarke and Dean Martin.
Old May 5th 17, 04:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 04/05/2017 13:11, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 04/05/2017 12:07, NY wrote:

Yes I'd worked that out. Is "fouler" a slang word for a toilet?

Not for toilet per se, but it does sort of lead to "**** House"

but why Nobby Clark? Was there once a famous person called Nobby Clark?

He was a 1950s / 1960s footballer.
He was christened Norbert Clark, but commentators on the radio always
called him Nobby. He scored goals playing for England.

I would guess that is a bit before your time.

Jim

My science teacher, Mr Nobby Clark, told me that it was something to do
with monks who wrote letters for people and got callouses on their
hands. Dunno if he made it up.