Youview box - can it be used without internet?

Old April 29th 17, 11:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

Default Youview box - can it be used without internet?

Picked up a Huawei model DN360T Youview box new and unused, boxed with
all the cables and remote, at a car boot for a quid. I had been hoping
to use it as an ordinary Freeview box and to play media from a stick or
disk plugged into the USB socket.

It won't let me get past the initial setup, demanding a working internet
connection before it'll do anything else. Can this be
disabled/bypassed/hacked ?

Ta.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old April 29th 17, 12:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 29/04/2017 12:07, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Picked up a Huawei model DN360T Youview box new and unused, boxed with
all the cables and remote, at a car boot for a quid. I had been hoping
to use it as an ordinary Freeview box and to play media from a stick or
disk plugged into the USB socket.

It won't let me get past the initial setup, demanding a working internet
connection before it'll do anything else. Can this be
disabled/bypassed/hacked ?

Does it work if you do let it see the internet ?

--
Mark
Old April 29th 17, 02:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , Mark Carver
escribió:

Does it work if you do let it see the internet ?

I haven't tried yet (I tested it in a spot with no easy access to the
router - it's wired) but will try again and report back.

Had a look online to see if there was any hacked firmware but haven't
turned up anything.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old April 29th 17, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Mark Carver
escribió:

Does it work if you do let it see the internet ?

I haven't tried yet (I tested it in a spot with no easy access to
the
router - it's wired) but will try again and report back.

Had a look online to see if there was any hacked firmware but
haven't
turned up anything.

The reason it wants an Internet connection is to ensure it has the
latest firmware - it won't have - and will update it automatically, a
rather slow process.

Thereafter you can use it as a Freeview (SD & HD) recorder but I don't
think you will be able to get any off-line services such as iPlayer. I
have the same box in TalkTalk version and that is how it works.

ISTR that the USB socket is to allow you to dump recordings to a
stick, although I have never tried to use a stick as a source.

Beware, operationally it is rather slow but the results - both HD and
recording - are quite good.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 29th 17, 07:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

news

escribió:

[...]

Somewhere - I have a Youview box.

Was going to ask the same question but somehow never got round to it.

It could be a Talk Talk - but I can't even remember where its gathering
dust.

Old April 30th 17, 03:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike Tomlinson[_2_]

En el artículo , Woody
escribió:

The reason it wants an Internet connection is to ensure it has the
latest firmware - it won't have - and will update it automatically, a
rather slow process

I forgot to mention it is a TalkTalk box, sorry.

Thanks. I'll have a go and report back when I have a round tuit.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Old May 1st 17, 07:33 PM posted to MikeTomlinson,uk.tech.digital-tv
Is it safe?

On 30/04/2017 04:59, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Woody
escribió:

The reason it wants an Internet connection is to ensure it has the
latest firmware - it won't have - and will update it automatically, a
rather slow process

I forgot to mention it is a TalkTalk box, sorry.

Thanks. I'll have a go and report back when I have a round tuit.

Had a TalkTalk box for several years and use it without an internet
connection for general Freeview viewing. Can't remember if I needed an
internet connection for initial set-up.
Old May 2nd 17, 06:45 PM posted to MikeTomlinson,uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Field

news
escribió:

The reason it wants an Internet connection is to ensure it has the
latest firmware - it won't have - and will update it automatically, a
rather slow process

I forgot to mention it is a TalkTalk box, sorry.

Thanks. I'll have a go and report back when I have a round tuit.

Had a TalkTalk box for several years and use it without an internet
connection for general Freeview viewing. Can't remember if I needed an
internet connection for initial set-up.

If I ever find mine - the decision will be entirely on whether it contains a
hard drive.