iPlayer metadata AWOL again!

Old April 27th 17, 01:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

Default iPlayer metadata AWOL again!

Earlier this afternoon (26th) I noticed a total absence of metadata when
trying to update the tv listings. I made do with grabbing the pids from
the Beeb's TV scheduling web pages to grab the media files with
get_iplayer. The downloaded files are simply given names made up by GIP
but for me, this is only a minor problem since I copy and paste the names
from the off-air recordings that I make as a belt 'n' braces measure (not
everything aired via freeview is available from the iplayer server).

I've just tried to refresh the list, using "Shaun the Sheep" as a dummy
search string only to be faced once again with a screen and a half's
worth of warning messages along the lines of the following format:

WARNING: Failed to download programme schedule http://www.bbc.co.uk/
bbcalba/programmes/schedules/this_week.xml

Hopefully, this is just a repeat of the previous cock up rather than the
result of a deliberate change of policy so things might get back to
normal in another day or two if it follows the previous pattern.

ISTR bookmarking an iplayer web forum the last time this was discussed
here. I haven't looked for the bookmark yet since I've only remembered it
just now. I'll take a look later on but for now I thought I'd post this
fact anyway for the group to peruse and ponder.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 27th 17, 02:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johnny B Good[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 01:57:15 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

[...]

Well, I managed to track down the bookmark https://squarepenguin.co.uk/

which seems, despite the misleadingly named URL, is a get_iplayer
support forum web site now displaying a banner announcement that reads:-

"get_iplayer is currently broken!"

It seems my hope of this being a repeat cockup is dashed by this
announcement from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mdjyb.xml

Which reads...
Maintenance mode

From April 18, 2017, the BBC is no longer able to offer XML, RDF and
iCalendar (.ics) views of programme metadata from this location.

Work is underway in some areas of the BBC with a view to providing a
durable successor to the decommissioned data views, and when the shape of
this work is known, suitable communications will be put in place to
direct the wider technology community towards that successor.

Until that time, it is possible to offer JSON views of many metadata
aggregations from 'http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes', but these views
cannot, unfortunately, include those of TV channel and radio station
schedules, or A-Z or genre and format listings for a channel or station.

The remaining JSON feeds will remain in operation until May 1, 2018.

To expend new development effort on maintaining the decommissioned views
would significantly threaten the future existence of the BBC's responsive
web offering for programme websites. This includes the responsive web
views of schedules for all of the BBC’s broadcast services (listed at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes#services), which continue to be available.

Additionally - and this won't concern all users of data views, but may
need some clarity - we would like to point out that no provision of
metadata feeds from the BBC constitutes an implicit or explicit licence
to download rights-controlled digital media content for indefinite
retention by the downloader.

The Charter under which the BBC operates has, for many years, required it
to commission a proportion of its content from commercial suppliers.
Additionally, it engages independent performers and other contributors to
certain programmes (including those produced by the BBC itself),
according to commercial terms. All of the resulting agreements set
limitations on the availability of the programmes online. It is not
possible for the BBC to selectively ignore or to abrogate these
obligations.

As far as I'm concerned that just means my having to manually gather the
PIDs and download each file one by one rather than be able to submit a
simple list for GiP to work through automatically.

Since I always copy and paste the more meaningful names which I create
for each Freeview sourced recording anyway, the lack of metadata is the
least of my problems. Even so, the extra work gathering PIDs and
submitting each request one at a time is a bit of a pain and I'll be glad
when the get_iplayer devs come up with a work around.

For those not already 'In The Loop', I'm sorry to be the bearer of such
bad news but at least you can stop waiting pointlessly for 'Norman Jervis
to be Exhumed'[1]

[1] An expression based on the punchline of a Bob Monkhouse gag that has
remained stuck in my mind for the past forty years or more.

--
Johnny B Good
Old April 27th 17, 07:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

They seem to have also made their news pages extra wordy and confused on
the same day. I personally feel that many people now that the web is mature,
really want simplicity, and repeatability and not constant changes and cock
ups.
BBC is by no means the only culprit in this area, and when will ITV hub
give us audio described stuff along with ch4 and the beeb?
Apparently Offcom are breating down their necks as even netflicks is doing
it.