Satellite & Terrestrial Calculators

Old April 26th 17, 01:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default Satellite & Terrestrial Calculators

Some of you may have noticed that over recent months I've been making
some gradual changes to my site. Although, many have been
'transparent' to the visitor, such as replacing common bits of coding
by Server Side Includes, which merely make the site much easier to
manage from my point of view, others, such as having fixed navigators
at the top of each page, hopefully are better for the visitor as well,
because they no longer scroll off the screen on long pages.

As far as the TV sections go, I've update the Terrestrial TV section
with such details as currently are known about the high channel
clearances, and most recently I've added to the calculator the ability
to enter a frequency in MHz so that, if required, Fresnel zones can be
calculated more accurately for the signal profile calculations. I
don't suppose many will use this often, but the facility is there if
required.

The satellite calculator also has had its satellite list updated.

Both have been updated also to fix various problems caused by the
world moving on, but again, most of these would be 'transparent' to
the visitor.

Notwithstanding that I am able to use the calculator pages on a
mobile, it's not an easy experience compared to a PC, and for a long
time I've been mulling how best to adapt them to the mobile world,
preferably without having to create entire seperate apps. As I see it
the chief difficulty is this:

When one 'spreads' to zoom in, if the browser zooms the entire page
rather than just the map, so that the side margins of the map
disappear off the screen, then there is no easy way to zoom the page
back out because then a 'pinch' will zoom out just the map rather than
the entire page. If anyone has any cunning plan as to how provide a
workable zoom in and out, I'm listening.

Regards.
Old April 26th 17, 07:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Java Jive" wrote in message
[...]

Simple question Charles: with your move to allow frequency input, have
you limited this to the TV band or will it accept any frequency? If
the latter then it will have use to many people - such as professional
radio engineers doing links and radio amateurs - outside the TV
business.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old April 26th 17, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

On Wed, 26 Apr 2017 08:01:04 +0100, "Woody"
wrote:

Simple question Charles: with your move to allow frequency input, have
you limited this to the TV band or will it accept any frequency? If
the latter then it will have use to many people - such as professional
radio engineers doing links and radio amateurs - outside the TV
business.

The path profile and its associated diagram with the Fresnel zones is
calculated by a behind-the-scenes python script on my server (if you
post this link to others, even in an apparently 'private' email,
please mangle the URL with spaces as below so that it is less likely
to be found by search engines, spammers, crawlers, etc - I've no
objection in principle to individuals using the script directly, but
must reserve the right to protect it if use starts to approach abuse
and affect the performance of the calculator page - instructions for
calling the script correctly are displayed if no or incorrect
parameters are supplied, so you can work out how to use it without my
repeating it all here) ...
w . w . w . m a c f h . c o . u k /cgi-bin/UKTVPath.py
.... the fr paramater of which works as follows:
If no fr=xxx parameter is supplied, the frequency defaults:
freq = 630MHz (average over current UK TV channels)
If fr 100, assumed to be a channel number:
freq = ( 306 + 8*fr )*1000000
If fr = 100, assumed to be frequency in Hz:
freq = fr

The TV Calculator page only ever uses the last of these options - it
multiplies whatever figure is in the MHz input box by 1,000,000 and
supplies that as the fr parameter to the above script.